Author Topic: Albanian prices?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
Albanian prices?
« on: June 19, 2021, 07:28:38 PM »
There was a guy selling five rifles on Gunbroker today. All matching numbers. Anywhere from very nice to sorta beat up. If I knew how to post links I would. They were all displayed on a red cloth if anyone feels like looking. They all finished up within an hour or so. I just put in my max bid taking in to account shipping, tax and FFL fee. The earliest one sold and went past my max bid. Entered the same max bid on two more and didn't work out. Maybe I don't know what these are worth. I don't really want a pristine safe queen or a beat to hell one either. Anyone want to help me out on what I should expect to pay.

I have a nice Russian, an early blade Chinese, a Yugo and a Romanian. Need the last of the easy five I guess.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Albanian prices?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »
I'm a bit out of touch on Albanian SKS prices, since I haven't purchased one for a couple of years. I'd guess at least $700 for a beat up mismatched one these days. Perhaps $1200 for a very clean matching example.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 08:51:58 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »
They went anywhere from $750 to $907 plus shipping, tax and FFL fee which adds another $150 or so. Two went for $5 over my original max bid. Wasn't up for a bidding war.

I am going to beat the local bushes to see what I can come up with. Learned something today.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »
Can you copy/paste links to the auctions?

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 09:23:10 PM »
I never have but I think I could find a way. Drinking beer and watching the college World Series and Barrett Jackson so first thing in the morning I’ll give it a shot.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 10:10:39 PM »
I found them. Two real lemons (refinished), and three good ones at good prices. The seller has a hard time taking focused pictures  :o rofl

1978 Albanian, $907, shown numbers are matching, refinished stock sick1
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902969987

1978 Albanian, $866, shown numbers are matching, chipped finish around rear sling swivel, honest wear on an original stock finish, good price  thumb1
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902970154

1969 Albanian, $856, shown numbers are matching, appears to be an original stock finish in excellent condition (the stamped SN in the stock is non-glossy indicating original finish), very good price  thumb1
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902969080

1978 Albanian, $824, advertised as an "Albanian Type 56", shown numbers are matching, refinished stock  sick1
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902969445

1969 Albanian, $750, shown numbers are matching, definitely original stock finish showing honest scuffs, chips, dings, good price for the lower condition stock finish  thumb1
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902968560

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 10:42:37 PM »
I wanted the middle one. Based on your assessment I’m learning. Thanks for the work.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 11:05:45 PM »
I wanted the middle one. Based on your assessment I’m learning. Thanks for the work.

Yup, that was a winner  thumb1

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 04:44:25 AM »
I'm not so sure on the '69 that went for $856.00. (SN: 01894-69) I believe that's a replacement Alby stock, albeit the numbers are well stamped. A couple of the tell-tale signs are the flat sides below the receiver, (with vertical grind marks visable), and the extra meat on the stock that hangs below the lower stock ferrule. It actually envelopes the bayonet at the front of the stock. Another sign is the drill dot just below the SN stamp on the stock. Every replacement Alby stock that AIM sold had that drill dot. I don't know if it's an indexing point for the lathe, or what?  Whether or not the re-stock was done in Albania isn't absolute, but I'm doubting this Seller had three Alby's, with three replacement stocks, all refinished, done in Albania. But this is only my opinion.  thumb1

firstchoice

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 10:20:40 AM »
I'm not so sure on the '69 that went for $856.00. (SN: 01894-69) I believe that's a replacement Alby stock, albeit the numbers are well stamped. A couple of the tell-tale signs are the flat sides below the receiver, (with vertical grind marks visable), and the extra meat on the stock that hangs below the lower stock ferrule. It actually envelopes the bayonet at the front of the stock. Another sign is the drill dot just below the SN stamp on the stock. Every replacement Alby stock that AIM sold had that drill dot. I don't know if it's an indexing point for the lathe, or what?  Whether or not the re-stock was done in Albania isn't absolute, but I'm doubting this Seller had three Alby's, with three replacement stocks, all refinished, done in Albania. But this is only my opinion.  thumb1

firstchoice

I've got to agree with FC here.  That middle one gave me the heebie jeebies the moment I set eyes on it.  The tooling divot on the right side of the replacement stocks is a very reliable indicator in my opinion.   The color is also indicative of that sort of ugly but very brown finish on the replacement stocks.  Also, the font on it has a serif on the 4, but other guns I have in my '69 folder don't have that same serif:

versus:

I don't know that it's a humped gun by any means and I'd go so far as to say they may have even restocked it in Albania given how well it looks to fit, but I don't think that stock is the original the carbine came off the line with in '69.

Offline lowell66dart

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 11:26:06 AM »
The more I hang out here the more I realize how much I don't know. Thanks for the lesson guys.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 07:09:32 PM »
The more I hang out here the more I realize how much I don't know.

You are NOT alone in that thought, Lowell.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 02:35:15 PM »
Agreed Larry... learn new kewl stuff all the time.