Author Topic: Post up your favorite SKS!  (Read 18166 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Post up your favorite SKS!
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
Everybody has a favorite SKS in their collection, whether it's a $3000 safe queen or a $150 gunsmith special that's been brought back to life and you shoot every weekend.  It might be the sweetest shooter you've ever had or maybe it has an amazingly tiger grained stock.  It might be a super tacticool'd jobber that's set up just right for your frame so you can shoot all day or it's simply an uncommon SKS that you don't see too many of. 

So everyone knows I've got trashy guns, and as expected, here's mine: a very modest recent import. This is a 2 million series Sino-banian I got towards the end of 2012.  Prior to this, I had gotten my last SKS (a Yugo M59) way back in 2004.  This gun was my first Chinese SKS, believe it or not, and helped get me interested in Chinese SKSs in general.  It also pushed me to look for clues about it and really was a big part of the impetus to start researching things on my own because it was clear much of the information out there is pure speculation by 'experts' with huge collections & webpages, or is simply commonly accepted assumptions repeated ad nauseam that are just flat-out wrong.  I was actually really disappointed when I opened the box for the first time.  It looked like this:

No bluing anywhere.  Totally mismatched stock w/o a S/N (two trapdoors in the buttplate...I didn't know what that meant at the time), and a replacement gas tube.  Right off the bat I had a problem, when I took the gas tube off to check the piston number (mismatching too), I couldn't get it back on, the fit was simply too tight to rotate the cam back to closed.  I actually half considered sending it back, but then I'd be out $30 for shipping and wouldn't have a new SKS, regardless of how crappy it was.  So I hit the top of the tube where the latch goes with a small riffler file and got it to seat very nicely.  It's a very tight handguard, no play in it at all when it's on the gun.  thumb1

So I cleaned it up and it really started to grow on me. 

I took it out for a spin and it shot well, I didn't have to touch the sights at all, though there were some definite popped primer issues.  I pulled the firing pin to see if I could diagnose the problem and found this:

Hitting it with the file once again, I rounded the FP tip down to a nice radius to eliminate the jagged edge and the stress risers that invariably creates in the primers and since then, absolutely 0 mechanical problems with this gun!  I still had an aesthetic problem though, the handguard being so dark looked like crap.  I decided to bite the bullet, strip it, and try to match the reddish color of the Albanian replacement stock.  Here is what I came out with, it's not a perfect match, but it doesn't *really* bother me like that almost black handguard did:

Now I take her everywhere.  She's the new bona fied 'truck gun' that I don't have to worry about scratching the metal or dinging the finish.  Anytime I need an SKS, she's the first one I'll reach for and I haven't had any problems with her since.   thumb1
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:38:22 PM by running-man »

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Re: Post up your favorite SKS!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »
Sometimes I kick myself for picking the Yugo over that Chinese when you were giving me my pick. But then I look at the Yugo, reminisce about all the neat foreign objects I found within the guts and the fun times it's been on my back while hiking, and am content with the choice.
No matter how snobby you think I am, I really like that Chinese! There's something about a uniformly worn blue that I find attractive.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:03:53 PM by Blicero »
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »
That thing is gorgeous RM.

Now, I have to pick which is my favorite??

OK...this one.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »
Just one!?!?       This sucks    rofl

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
Running-man I think she's a beauty! Call me weird but I love the well used look in these little warriors.

Justin that is a really nice looking array on your wall, I'm really impressed with how you mounted them.

So I guess I'll take a turn since I love talking about these carbines! We only have three Chinese carbines but this 3mil /26\ gun is my favorite!

When I got this one it was clothed in a jungle stock, I had no problems with that but as I learned more HERE on THIS forum I had a hankering to put her back in some wood! I happened to run across a discarded SKS stock in our local gun shop and picked it up for ten bucks. It looked a mess but Loose}{Cannon gave me some tips on what to do with it as I had never refinished a stock. (that's easy to see!) Later it was pointed out to me by running-man this stock is a cut-down Albanian. The hand guard is courtesy of jd, thanks again jd!

I had no idea but I knew something was different when I stripped all the hardware and found two holes under the single trap door butt plate! Of course to the discerning eye the bulge in the stock near the bayonet is another dead give-away. Those are just surface cracks by the way!

Aside from the stock obviously, the only metal parts not matching is what appears to be a new one piece gas tube/piston. As you can see I did modify the bolt to take the 20 round Tapco (crapco) mags. In keeping with the series the bolt and carrier have very few markings and they are barely discernible. It appears the die were struck at an angle, maybe the inspector had been toking too long on the opium pipe.

It's been trouble free and a great shooter, it has at least 90% of it's bluing and I am very satisfied with it!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
Alright... fine!   I guess tqino-Iraqiq

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:32:35 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 05:08:59 PM »
We all knew which one Coinring was picking!
Nice rifle Dannyboy.
I love Justin's display too.
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."

-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
Nice rifle Dannyboy.

I noticed you dont like mine.    bat1 bat1

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 06:42:33 PM »
Oh I like it plenty. Liked it more when you brandished it in a West Asheville truck stop, threatening cashiers and innocent gas pumpers, calling them pig infidels. The starched white nightgown was a nice touch.
-Ramcke

-Ty O

-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »
Better then chasing the dog around the house screaming "Check out my German helmat already!!"

rofl2

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 07:19:48 PM »
I guess I will have to be the first to call a non-standard a favorite...

This started life as a C series letter Chinese, or at least every part (other than mag, bad Bubba!) but the barreled receiver did, but for some reason the receiver was scrubbed and renumbered with a 0 instead of a C...
Shown here modeling the $20 normal blade cut stock I found in a pawn shop. I also have the "original" slightly banged up stock and a nicely fitted Yugo stock for it that makes it balance REALLY nice...

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
Nice variety of beautiful and unique SKS's  thumb1

Okay, since I can't decide between my matching F series Type 56 that I love to take to the range, and we haven't seen a Russian yet...

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »
Nice rifle Dannyboy.

Laugh, I actually would have thought he might have chosen the Soviet-Sino.  That bitumen coated Iraqi stock must reek like a friggin road repave crew on a 110° day!  rofl2

Danny's stock makes that such a classy little gun.  Much preferable to the fiberglass it had worn before.  Nice uniform color on the refinish too.  Justin's display is great!  That M59, second from the left is pretty slick, though that receiver scope mount...not so sure about that!  didnt do

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »

My middle east 9 mill in Russian stock

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »
Beautiful carbines all. For me...I'd rather be here than Hooter's!!  bravo1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 12:32:35 AM »
That's a nice one Oli!  I was wondering when a shorty would pop up.  I hear the difference is night and day vs. a 20 1/2" gun.

Jon, I'm amazed that it took 5 responses to finally get a Russian gun up!  I guarantee I know which ones 06 and Blicero will be picking and they are both Izhevsks I believe. 

Worm's Sino-Syrian isn't a big surprise either, that is a nice carbine though.  Russian stocks really dress up a Chinese gun.   thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 12:52:03 AM »
Dang it 06!! I gotta stop looking at these Russians.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 01:07:46 AM »
My "c" letter series that I don't have a full pic of and my first "ghost" that is pictured below.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 01:14:41 AM »
Agrace I am turning green with envy, very nice!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
Well, I guess I'm just too trifling to pick one, so here, pick a winner. thumb1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem