Author Topic: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet  (Read 79034 times)

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Re: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
Here is a picture of the stock differences between the spike and blade where they fit into the stock ferrule.

https://ibb.co/gJYOew

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2017, 05:51:47 PM »
Here is a picture of the stock differences between the spike and blade where they fit into the stock ferrule.

https://ibb.co/gJYOew

Nice comparison photos...that angle shows how drastically different they are. A similar photo showing a Chinese spike stock next to those would be cool to see as well...as they are closer to the blade variety than the Russian spike in the girth.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
I added a picture showing the pin position for a stock ferrule with a spike bayonet. It also shows that the bayonet does not touch the stock ferrule.

https://ibb.co/album/kP3zJv

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
I added a picture showing the pin position for a stock ferrule with a spike bayonet. It also shows that the bayonet does not touch the stock ferrule.

That is correct ferrule for russian spike bayonet,  same as the one on my 1949.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »
On reply #80, it was discussed about the lightening holes in the receiver cover and the fact that it was probably done at refurb. There has been some questions about the cover on another forum. On closer inspection of my 50, I noticed that it has a lightening hole in the receiver. Same location as later years but it is twice as deep. Will post some pictures in the next couple weeks. It is my opinion that when refurb. drilled the holes in receiver cover they also did the receiver.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2018, 05:20:10 PM »
I added some pictures of the lightening hole in the receiver. Hole in receiver is the same diameter as the cover, but is smaller than later carbines.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »
FYI.....  thats not a lightening hole.  Thats simply the bored through hole that houses the trigger tang latch.  How much hole depth you see to the top of that tang latch from the inside of the receiver just depends on the length of the tang latch itself.

Look under the receiver at the same location.... you will see a cross pin that retains it in place.  Drive out that pin and it slides right out. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
Live and learn. Checked it out and I see what you mean. I have a 49 with a spike and there is no hole.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2018, 02:15:57 PM »
Added additional pictures of the receiver and cover S/Ns. Questions about E on receiver not matching other S/Ns.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2018, 05:49:17 PM »
To me it appears that the stamp was not struck properly and the top is lacking depth. It was hit bottom heavy causing a larger bottom and narrow top. You can see how it narrows as it goes to top and does not have the depth.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »
And how would this change the huge distance/gap between the top line and middle line? 

Also, how do you explain the fact the receiver E is as you say 'shallow', but yet is somehow wider then the other?  I would think the deeper.... the wider. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:16:16 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »
 Now i need to see a Б serial stamp up close

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »

Thats exactly what I was thinking. 

You have some pics RM?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »
I added 7 more pictures to album. They are as close as I could get without it getting fuzzy. Should help in recognizing font. I will do anything to help provide a solution.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
Those pics make me question whether that is actually an E on the receiver at all, and certain that it is on the cover.  I think perhaps it was a worn 'b' stamp that easily could explain the use of an E on a replacement 50 cover.  They probably thought it was an E too.

I just checked both of the sets of Es on my 49/50 mine are quite distinct, and don't have that 'b' look. Either on the EO parts or the Ey parts.  The numbers on mine appear to be struck harder, perhaps at a different time as the prefix, like yours.

Is your piston serialed? Seeing it in actual handwriting might help confirm...unless the confusion carried on to a replacement piston when the cover was replaced.  The trigger is a little hard to tell from the pic....but doesn't appear to be scrubbed.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
Piston is serialized and there is a picture of it in album.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

Thats exactly what I was thinking. 

You have some pics RM?

Б's don't come up that often.  Mostly 1954 Izhevsk guns, but there are a smattering of other years in the survey with a second character Б.  Here's a set from guns with a E prefix.  I would consider these to have likely been produced somewhat close chronologically to the OP's EM gun.  Likely after because of the blade modified ferules, though the ferrule weld could easily be a refurb modification and not done at production.  Too bad we can't see the pin hole on any of these stock ferrules, I suspect they are all top pinned as all the other transitional '50 E's with blades are top pinned ferrules.  Still, a very interesting set of features on these:

Here's a second in the series that clearly has a replacement in place of the transitional '50 cover but the rest of the hardware looks ok:

And a third with similar features, and again a transitional '50 cover

Not a smoking gun, but it's certainly plausible that the OP's gun is a '50 like these above are thought to be.  It's also plausible that the OP's gun is a '49 with that bottom pinned ferrule too.  The ferrule and spike are certainly 'off' when it comes to the other examples of transitional 50's that I have.  I will add that all other EM prefix guns I have show blade bayos and appear to all have top pinned ferrules.  dntknw1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
Geez....  The cover serials on the two showing them are suspect aswell.  Typical refurb conundrum.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »
#2 definitely has a replacement cover....  That makes it a 50 also based on other features. 

All three are 50s....  With blades.  The OP has a dif prefix entirely and the serial stamps are suspect.   Likely a 49 with a 50 cover. 

Gotta love refurbs.