Author Topic: GB listings for all of 2015 - Romanian  (Read 2817 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
GB listings for all of 2015 - Romanian
« on: January 18, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »
Here's the summary for Romanians for all of 2015.  In my opinion, Romanians continued to be the best valued SKSs among all the common variants with a low price and excellent build quality.  The avg. price for a Romanian SKS in 2015 was ~$410.  40 guns sold in the 10 months I tracked gives us an avg of 4 Romys per month and we can extrapolate that ~48 Romys sold in all of 2015.  "As-issued" Romys are darn near impossible to find, and that is reflected in the data as I only saw 1 in all of my 2015 tracking (and it was a gun in pretty poor condition).  The avg. standard refurbished condition Romy ran ~$432, which was slightly higher than the ~$410 universal avg. that included bubbas and unknowns.

The chart of 2015 Romy sales shows a negative slope (~ -$5.50 decline per month) on the avg. trendline.  Indeed, the trendline generally declined through the year with some minor blips as the March avg. of $503 was the high of the entire year.  This chart is also interesting in that the highs and lows are very complimentary of each other, everything pretty much moves in lockstep.  The lowest low on the chart ($249.95) corresponds to the lowest high on the chart ($380.00) and they both occurred in July.  It's only in the last month of December that we start to see a noticeable divergence of the highest sale price with an individual gun that is clearly out of whack in some way.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:47:52 PM by running-man »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: GB listings for all of 2015 - Romanian
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »
Excellent work RM!  thumb1

This is very cool data.  Makes me glad I recently acquired a Romanian (on its way shortly) while the market is still low. I'm confident that eventually these will go up. That high/low/average tracking is astounding.  Looks more like a standard deviation boundary most of the year.  I wonder if Yugoslavian M59/66A1 availability at retail this year at about the same price point has kept the Romanian prices artificially low.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:01:31 PM »
Thanks P32!  You know one thing I was surprised about when I finally graphed it all out?  The small number of Romys changing hands on GB for any given month.  When I do the monthly reports, I often just gloss over the # sold.  Seeing it in a bar graph format like that with 7 guns being the upper limit really brings it into perspective.  I knew Albys were minimal, but I would have thought the Romys would have been a bit higher than they actually are.  Chinese, Yugos, and Russians all change hands 10 to 25x more than these poor Romys do.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:22:24 PM »
I think there is a higher number of Chinese, Yugos, and Russians than there are Romanian and Albanians. If you look at the Chinese, well there is no question there, the M59/66s, just the shear number of production years, and the numbers of plain jane remaned Russians. I think while the Romanians and Albanians came in 2 small import loads, a few years apart, both sold out fairly quickly because of low import numbers in each load.

That, and 4 short years of Romanian production and low Albanian production kick the numbers even lower than the other three.  There may be lower numbers in the states than we actually think, are the numbers thought to be in the US and/or numbers produced inflated or over estimated, if not I would think sales of the latter two would be a little more prevalent than they are, I just can't see why the general population would just sit on just these two nations while the more commonly desired ones change hands 10 times more frequently.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem