Author Topic: Stock Refurb  (Read 6291 times)

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Stock Refurb
« on: September 20, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »
What is the general opinion of redoing a stock. The color that came on my non-numbers matching factory 26 is a lighter honey color. Personally I like a darker brown/red color. Is there any devaluation that this will cause by doing that?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Stock Refurb
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:13:56 PM »
If you currently have original finish on the stock... Yes, refinishing will devalue it to a collector, maybe not so much to a non collector.  Its also your rifle to do what you want with. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:18:31 PM »
So if the stocks not even matching? Maybe I'll have to think about getting a second stock to use for redoing then. Thanks Cannon.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 08:28:36 PM »
A little bit I guess... Even though not matching, original finish is preferred.  Just my .02

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:22:46 PM »
I think LC is right, a home brew finish is going to devalue a gun regardless of whether the stock is numbers matching or not. Obviously, a gun with a matching stock has much farther to fall than one without. If this is a mismatching common gun that runs $300-$350, you might ding $10 to $25 off the price as long as the refinish doesn't go horribly wrong.

The bottom line is: Is your being happy with the rifle worth that $25?  I'd say it probably is!  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
True..   We aint talking huge $ difference here like RM says.   thumb1

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 11:40:33 PM »
For what I paid for it I think I'll take the leap. The person I'm going to work with it on is a professional and I'm going to hone some skills while learning.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »
Good deal, make sure to take some before and after photos for us!  thumb1

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 06:41:48 AM »
Definitely will! Now I have to find the perfect color for it. Thanks for all the input  thumb1

Offline jjjxlr8

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
It's already not matching, so collectors probably won't be interested, anyway.  Enjoy your rifle!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:32:09 PM by jjjxlr8 »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
I have always liked the honey blonde stocks, just never got lucky enough to get one. They don't come up very often on the auction sites I frequent. Non-matching or not, if it fits nicely and isn't too beat up, I personally would leave it alone.

I tried refinishing an SKS stock once...that wood can be kind of tricky...the sandpaper seemed to have more of a cheese grating effect than a smoothing effect. The only thing I could liken it to would be trying to sand uncured bamboo....or very cured string cheese.  chuckles1

Is it living on a pinned, short lug or long lugged barrel? If you can find the color you are looking for in a used stock, since it is already mismatched that might be a better route than messing with the original finish. Then you could recoup your expenses by selling the blondie to someone like me. :)

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
I'll let you know how this turns out. Someone else in my family likes the stock so I may be getting a second one after all.