Author Topic: Mauser experts, need your thoughts on a Brazilian 1894  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Mauser experts, need your thoughts on a Brazilian 1894
« on: April 09, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »
Okay, as I am searching for a bolt action in 7.62x39 I came across this today. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897256681
Given the current price on the auction it has definitely peaked my interest.

It is listed as a Brazilian Model 1894 Mauser "sporterized" and re-chambered into 7.62x39
IIRC(not really up on Mausers), it originally would have been a 2 lug bolt in 7x57mm correct? Which would have been a bullet diameter of 7.25mm
I'm curious on this because the barrel has the CAI import stamp, but also a Mod. 39 7.62x39mm stamp designating chamber and model modification. So, what it left me wondering is;
a) was it modified in Brazil or at least outside the US?(never knew them to mess with the x39 cartridge)
b) Did they maybe take the original barrel and re-bore/chamber it for the x39 cartridge which seems it would have been more expensive than merely re-barreling the receiver? (bore with new lands and grooves from 7.25mm to 7.77mm as we know the x39 bullet is .311 NOT .308)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Mauser experts, need your thoughts on a Brazilian 1894
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »
Most likely an importer rebarrel, rebarreling is 10 times easier and cheaper to do and make than rechambering and reboring..especially a Mauser.. a 7.65 Argentine(same bore) would be a better choice, but probably still require an insert or extreme chamber modification.. on the 7mm and 7.65 your dealing with a totally different sized case where a reamer or insert just wont cut it.   One other common conversion is the 7.7 Japanese, quite a few Arisaka actions can be found converted to 7.62x39.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 02:42:39 PM »
Yeah, Century must have rebarreled them for 7.62x39. That's a bit scary right off the bat. They couldn't screw up a bolt action, right, oh, wait, it's Century  rofl

Cool that this small ring Mauser is an antique (Loewe ceased to exist as a corporate entity at the end of 1896), no FFL required.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »
Yeah, Century must have rebarreled them for 7.62x39. That's a bit scary right off the bat. They couldn't screw up a bolt action, right, oh, wait, it's Century  rofl

Cool that this small ring Mauser is an antique (Loewe ceased to exist as a corporate entity at the end of 1896), no FFL required.

Yeah, didn't think about Century doing the re-barrel, so that is definitely a possibility/probability. I've seen good and bad work from them. Most of the bad was on CETMEs and AK kit build AKA WASRs.
Do you think they would have stamped their import mark on the barrel after the fact? I suppose they would have needed to have it somewhere for the rifle import even with the work.

I thought, being it has been re-worked, that would disqualify it as an antique. My understanding of FFL laws for antiques as with C&Rs, they have to be in original configuration to be eligible.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 03:22:51 PM »

Yeah, didn't think about Century doing the re-barrel, so that is definitely a possibility/probability. I've seen good and bad work from them. Most of the bad was on CETMEs and AK kit build AKA WASRs.
Do you think they would have stamped their import mark on the barrel after the fact? I suppose they would have needed to have it somewhere for the rifle import even with the work.

I thought, being it has been re-worked, that would disqualify it as an antique. My understanding of FFL laws for antiques as with C&Rs, they have to be in original configuration to be eligible.

Unlike C&R with the original configuration clause, an antique receiver cannot be made "non-antique". The attachments to the antique receiver are basically irrelevant (NFA issues notwithstanding).

Other milsurp rifles on the Century wall of milsurp shame  :P :)): MAS 36 and MAS 49/56 conversions to .308.

My VZ 2008 has been fine, though I haven't put more than a magazine or two through it, so it's not like it was stress-tested.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 03:52:37 PM »
Hmmmm, interesting. I may ask the guy about that. So, as for being Antique, worst that can happen is he says, nope, going through an FFL. As far as the rifle itself, worse that can happen is I should get it chamber cast and/or head-spaced.
On a side note I did contact the guy with a few questions to which he replied "We purchased the firearm pre-owned and know nothing of its history prior to our ownership.  No info on head spacing."

And on the other Century issues, what you're saying is 'you get LESS from Century with the MAS'   rofl2 rofl2
Sorry, a little Spanish language joke there :)) :))

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 04:01:39 PM »
Had another thought, is there somewhere on the receiver that would tell the actual year of production, like on the bottom side of the rear tang on a Mosin-Nagant M91? I ask because it would still have to have been made before 1898 correct?

Ah, never mind, you mentioned Loewe closed production in 1896!!  :-[ thumb1