Author Topic: What is this Russian SKS?  (Read 6094 times)

Offline 100Acre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
What is this Russian SKS?
« on: January 13, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »
This one somewhat baffles me as the only mark on the receiver is the box with a slanting line. Someone on an earlier post on GB  said that this was from the 1st Grau Arsenal in Ukraine. It has Matching #'s mirror bore. Something else I've noticed is none of these rifles had any lubricants in them whatsoever except maybe a little cosmoline. I have yet to understand all the serial numbers and letters. Also, how do I type in some of those Russian characters that some of you guys are doing? This is the rifle on the bottom of the two with the sling. Thanks

bmw x6 35i 0 60

wordsworth she dwelt

ee cummings background

district 9 spaceship

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:40:41 PM by 100Acre »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: What is the Russian SKS?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »
That is what is called a letter suffix, or simply letter gun. The backwards 'N' signifies the year 1957.  The receiver cover of '56 through '58 SKS45's had no markings at issue as the Russians changed their marking procedures on all firearms of this period to use these letter codes.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 06:45:42 PM »
Thanks, Is this a keeper type for the collection, Or are they common enough to part with? There are other things I'm searching for. I want to keep the really collectable ones but maybe sell some of the others to make room for others, like a PSL or two and an RPK /RPD or something fun. My safe is overflowing and I'd like to maybe consider trading as I've just spent too much money lately. Trading seems the better option for now. Or I'll just sit on everything and buy more ammo.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
Photos 2 and 3 show one of the basic refurb stamps. 1st Grau Arsenal .... according to Yooper's

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »
I just found this on GB

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:44:39 PM by 100Acre »

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: What is this Russian SKS?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:00:27 PM »
This one somewhat baffles me as the only mark on the receiver is the box with a slanting line. Someone on an earlier post on GB  said that this was from the 1st Grau Arsenal in Ukraine. It has Matching #'s mirror bore. Something else I've noticed is none of these rifles had any lubricants in them whatsoever except maybe a little cosmoline. I have yet to understand all the serial numbers and letters. Also, how do I type in some of those Russian characters that some of you guys are doing? This is the rifle on the bottom of the two with the sling. Thanks

you can add 'Russian Keyboard Input' on your computer then you will be able to type Russian cyrillic letters.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:04:27 PM »
Thanks, Is this a keeper type for the collection, Or are they common enough to part with? There are other things I'm searching for. I want to keep the really collectable ones but maybe sell some of the others to make room for others, like a PSL or two and an RPK /RPD or something fun. My safe is overflowing and I'd like to maybe consider trading as I've just spent too much money lately. Trading seems the better option for now. Or I'll just sit on everything and buy more ammo.

In my opinion, it is not very collectible due to heavy refurb and EP'ed trigger guard.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:42:25 PM »

you can add 'Russian Keyboard Input' on your computer then you will be able to type Russian cyrillic letters.

Cool thanks for the input keyboard. Very cool indeed!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 11:09:35 PM »
I just found this on GB

That table is quite obsolete.  The /1\ Liski facility was determined to be 41 CABV in Irkutsk by Ruslan himself after he caught two different mistakes he made in the identification of that marking.

As an aside, the /1\ marking will live in infamy as the source of quite a bit of heated debate as to the existence of "ex-DDR" SKSs.  I'm sure you'll run into threads on other sites that say many different things about the good ole "ex-DDR" SKS.  thumb1

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 11:34:18 PM »
I just found this on GB

That table is quite obsolete.  The /1\ Liski facility was determined to be 41 CABV in Irkutsk by Ruslan himself after he caught two different mistakes he made in the identification of that marking.

As an aside, the /1\ marking will live in infamy as the source of quite a bit of heated debate as to the existence of "ex-DDR" SKSs.  I'm sure you'll run into threads on other sites that say many different things about the good ole "ex-DDR" SKS.  thumb1

I'm sorry but what does DDR stand for?

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 11:43:00 PM »
DDR: East Germany

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 12:11:33 AM »
DDR: East Germany
I thought it sounded familiar, Thanks

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
Would I be screwing myself if I traded this rifle for a Yugo sks with grenade launcher thing?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »
Depends.. If it's a you take this and give me that deal....then yes, thats when I would say you fornicated yourself :)

if the Yugo has 225-275 in green paper with it, a real nice bore, the correct sling oil thing and pouch and cleaning kit, then that kind of takes the sting out of it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:31:46 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »
This Russian heavy furb is worth at least $500, maybe even $650 to the right buyer.

Yugo in similar condition is worth $300, maybe $450 is in very good condition. 

Quite an imbalance there.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 02:30:40 PM »
This Russian heavy furb is worth at least $500, maybe even $650 to the right buyer.

Yugo in similar condition is worth $300, maybe $450 is in very good condition. 

Quite an imbalance there.

I agree completely on the Russians. I disagree a bit on the low end value of the Yugoslavians  :) If you see any M59/66 at $400 or less it's a BIN situation these days, unless local prices are lower in NM.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »
Thanks. Y'all. The Yugo in question is in really nice condition but it doesn't come with anything and he's not budging from $699 so I decided to not do the trade. I also saw one locally on arms list for $350 and I am waiting for a call back.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
I agree completely on the Russians. I disagree a bit on the low end value of the Yugoslavians  :) If you see any M59/66 at $400 or less it's a BIN situation these days, unless local prices are lower in NM.

stop1

Are you kidding me?!  Man, I haven't tracked Yugos in two years on gunbroker...are they really up to $400+?!  silly1

I'd assumed they tracked Chinese Type 56s pretty well since they are the second most numerous imported and are still being imported as of last year.  hunter)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 06:15:08 PM »

stop1

Are you kidding me?!  Man, I haven't tracked Yugos in two years on gunbroker...are they really up to $400+?!  silly1

I'd assumed they tracked Chinese Type 56s pretty well since they are the second most numerous imported and are still being imported as of last year.  hunter)

A year ago I thought I had a fair grasp of what most variants were worth in a fair market.

Fast forward one year and I have no idea what anything is worth...

Online MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:05 PM »

stop1

A year ago I thought I had a fair grasp of what most variants were worth in a fair market.

Fast forward one year and I have no idea what anything is worth...

wink1

I have been watching Yugos on GB and it blows my mind how much they have been going for over the last year...... every couple of weeks or so one will sell for over $700.......Anything halfway decent with matching numbers is $500+..... not many M59s trading hands they have all Been 59/66s