Author Topic: Advice needed on 1941 Finnish M91, Hex receiver, Please( Lots of Pics added)  (Read 20897 times)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
 :)) I have been eyeballing a couple in my area... a lil out of my price range atm though. I did all most snag a 8mm k98 clip loaded with, headstamped 1938 with the flying eagle stamp rounds ( if its there next time I go by, it will be coming home with me).

I am most certainly a semi-auto guy but...ever since I picked up that dang HEMBRUG 6.5x53r ( 1917) and it took me 2 weeks to really pin down solid info on what it was. Bolt action millsurps and their amazing amount of long service history, has grabbed my interest.

Tomorrow I'll do a write up on the P-series Mosins to go along with my findings on my P-26. There is quite a bit of info on them out there.  They are Finlands first " mass produced" attempt at rebarreling their stock pile of captured/bought mosins ( 13,000 shot out/damaged barrels were relined using a technic originated in Italy, from '25-'27....I better stop or this will become the write up. I have to work in the morning to make up for leaving early enough to get to the LGS before closing.  rofl

The P-series are uncommon I believe but I'm finding quite a few examples out there. Its got me wound up, hence the long winded posts  :))

It looks like it was shot quite a bit then stuck in the back of a closet for 10 years. Its in good shape but needs a good ocd cleaning ( I'm itching to take it down but I'll end up staying up all night if I do. So got it soaking in some oil and have a " wild and crazy" sat. night planed  rofl2

Would love to know yalls thoughts on current value ( will post plenty of pics also) because I'm seeing some pretty nice sold amounts. Oh and just gotta say its trigger is on par with my Rem 700. ( I think these Finnish mosins are going to spoil me  :)) )

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
K98, bah!!!  Got one, it sits, collecting dust bunnies, oh so boring.... thumb1.

P-series Mosin dance1, tell me more, I missed one a while back, P-26 stamped bat1 If my memory is right it was 6?? range, but it was pristine, and not refinished.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Re: Advice needed on 1941 Finnish M91, Hex receiver, Please
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 12:55:43 AM »
Maybe you will get lucky, I bought a VKT M91 a few years ago, tore it down to clean, and low and behold, there was an M27 trigger setup. Oh that girl has a glorious trigger, almost as nice as my modern Cz rifle.

Trying my best to find time these days... but The trigger on this P-26 is just downright sweet  thumb1. The whole rifle must have just got a quick wipe down of cosmo, cuz it is chock full of dried up cosmo. ( and the first time I ever felt the need, to have to send some lead down range, just to help clean the barrel).

So GM, I believe I got lucky...I've read to be carefull when taking down, so as not to lose a loose trigger pin. Well lo and behold ...No trigger pin to be seen. After looking around a bit, I believe I have a M27 trigger set-up. The sear is pined to the trigger and the trigger is Not pined to the receiver like what I've been seeing in my digging around. It's 1 of the smoothest triggers in my house now. Will hopefuly get you some pics soon to verify.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Greasemonkey, here's a couple pics of my P-26's trigger.

While I'm in photobucket... Its a 1917 Tula hex receiver

Appreciate any info on this trigger. New to mosins yet, but learning more everyday. Now that I have the 1941 Tikka I orginally posted about at home now....Hopefully can get some detail pics of it soon. Its on a 1896 Izevsk receiver  thumb1 (I was like a kid at christmas taking that 1 down, I was really hoping for a pre-1900 receiver  :) )

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
The M27 Finn trigger design is known as the best Mosin triggers there is. The sear is also modified as well, to reduce the surface area and help make the trigger pull easier, an often copied modification, but the Finns got it right. It is a setup that is "highly" sought after, rarely appears on the open market and appears randomly in other model Finnish rifles. It is sometimes thought it is an upgrade done by the one who carried it given the randomness of finding one in other model rifles. The next best in my experience is the M28 followed by the M39 trigger, the M28 has a small mousetrap style spring and with it's design is used for take up and make it feel more consistent.

The M27 trigger in my M91 is mounted in a '42 "B" or a Belgium made barrel, it has a receiver date of 1897. My M28/76 also has a M27 trigger, which is the Finn target rifle. The M28/76 like the others can have the standard M28 or a M39 style trigger set up as well.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
Good stuff GM  thumb1 Thanks for the info.

So would it be safe to say, I basically had a 4 leaf clover and a lucky horse shoe in my backside...er back pocket, when the 1st Mosin I bring home just happens to be a P-series with a m27 trigger setup? ( Just wait till ya find out what I paid for it...You'll probably make the drive down the Blue Ridge just to hand out a neighborly azz-kicking  :)) )

From what I've been reading, the Finns were a "quality not quantity" people and fine-tuned their mosins to the best each individual rifle could be. Are there any other trigger modifications to look out for? Still getting to know my 1941 Tikka M91 ( just brought it home) and it's trigger has got the trigger pin but...while being just a smidge heavier on the pull, its every bit of Sweet, with very lil travel.

Personally, I love to research, takedown/apart and overall study my surplus rifles more than anything these days and can see why, besides cost and plinking, these boat paddles can be as addictive as the SKS. I fear I may have spoiled myself jumping straight out the gate into the finnish mosins though  fart1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
The M28 and M39 had nice setups. The typical Russian capture [SA] rifles seem to have had some work done depending on the level of refurb.

Like you noted, the Finns were about quality and marksmen ship, they have a very proud, long heritage of shooting sports, very much like Sweden and Switzerland. It is kind of funny, you could also go as far as to say, they were very big on recycling, as they reused everything they could. And as small a country as Finland is and they stood up to the Russian military twice, and prevailed is impressive.

Ok, depress me, how much?  Then I will decide if I feel adventurous to wander the hills sulking, in search of future Finn rifle hoarder.. bat1 Nip the addiction in the bud rofl2 rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Since I've babbled on about an M28, the M28 triggers would be commonly found, in of course an M28  :)  The early design of this style trigger can also be found on the M24, it was updated for the M28.

This is the M28 Civil Guard rifle. Tikka made them for 3 years, between 1930-'33, ones made with the Sig manufactured barrel are also found, and slightly more common.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman

Ok, depress me, how much?  Then I will decide if I feel adventurous to wander the hills sulking, in search of future Finn rifle hoarder.. bat1 Nip the addiction in the bud rofl2 rofl

Sorry its taken so long to get back. Had to build the suspense a lil right?  rofl J/K I took the lil 1's out on the farm to help feed the cows and try our hand at a lil gold panning ( no luck, hence getting a good deal is very important). Then rounded it off with a roast chicken dinner with their grandparents.

At my LGS, I'm the resident fanboy of com-block and surplus firearms and they indulge me by letting me root around behind the counter, taking apart SKS's and the like and give me the ole smile and nod when I start getting exited over this and that lil stamp/ s/n. So the same day the P-26 was brought in on a trade, it got handed to me with a grin ( This is the same place that gave me a Hembrug 6.5x53r at cost, just to find out what it was)

After a lil ooh'n and aah'n and me cussing them for getting me started on bolt actions...$145 OTD  :) I actually gave him 5 more than what he wanted, which worked out to me spending 145 and walking out with the P-26, a chinese SKS receiver cover, fixed mag, buttstock cleaning kit ( SKS) and 2 revolver speed loaders with belt holder.

All in all it was a GREAT day.

That M28 is Sweet  thumb1  Can any1 say Enabler?  rofl You keep the Finn mosin treats coming and you may have a convert. ( considering I went from 0 mosins to 2 in a weeks time...)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
 :o  thumb1

Wow, you're at least 3-4 Ben Franklins ahead on that deal. More pics coming?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Sorry its taken so long to get back. Had to build the suspense a lil right?

Suspense, huh, or a taunt....

Ok, I think I need to wander down your way bat1  It's nothing personal, :))  I'll tell the wife I want to see if your hills, look like my hills, or something like that. chuckles1

cry1 cry1 shops here, blow, 21miles up the road sits an M43 Spanish Mauser for $799 :o, I told the guy, It ain't no useless fuggin German Mauser why the chumped up Nazi price, "well uhhh, it's an 8mm K98".  I said, no it's a K98 based action, made in Spain, he won't budge the price on a 400 or so dollar rifle. $799 for a M43 Spanish Mauser, yet he offered me 250 on a Spanish FR 8, MORON, the FR 8 is based of the M43, and has a factory muzzle brake, that alone adds like, over 100bucks at least rofl2 rofl2 rofl2 chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1

And at another place, a butchered No4 Enfield for 500, a no mum Type 99 Arisaka for 450, 650 for a bubba gump Norinco SKS, grab them ankles, and relax.

And people wonder why I have a C&R,  rofl  One place however is decent with ammo, odd ball ammo at that, I've bought a whole bunch of 7.65 Argentine. scored 7.5 French and Prvi 8mm Lebel, some older pristine surplus 7mm Mauser, I even drug out a sealed tin of 7.62x39 Norinco ammo out of there once. But he usually aint got squat for military weapons.

And, 150 for a P-series, I puked in my mouth a little, just so you know, and it hurt my feeling a little also. chuckles1

Offline 100Acre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Where do all the old pictures go to die?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Photobucket unfortunately.  When they changed their service about 6 years ago, large swaths of the web from gun forums to auto forums to appliance repair forums were rendered almost unusable overnight.  Photobucket limped along, people who paid the extortion fee for their service continued to be able to host their photos but most of the free accounts got an ugly permanent watermark stuck on the photos.  When those free accounts stopped uploading photos and maintaining their accounts (like mine), Photobucket began to cull them and delete their content.  Nine times out of ten, a broken link to a photo is due to this reason (though other image sites such as tumblr, tinypic, and imgur also have changed URLs, service terms etc. and cull accounts too..)