Author Topic: Rebound Disconnector  (Read 506 times)

Offline todd092157

• Crapgame
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • Maybe the guy's a Republican
Rebound Disconnector
« on: March 14, 2023, 05:57:28 PM »
Somebody explain to me the function of the rebound disconnector in the trigger group.  I have gone through my trigger group extensively and it seems to me a superfluous part.  See attached.

.........because I hit what I aim at

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Rebound Disconnector
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 06:48:04 PM »
IIRC the rebound disconnector pushes up on mainly the trigger bar, but also the disconnector on both the rearward action and the return of the bolt into battery (rebound) during the cycling of the bolt as it resets. This is to ensure the trigger bar does not re-engage the sear if the trigger is still pulled back thus causing full auto or slam fire action. Basically a safety measure to ensure semi-auto action only. This way, once reset and the disconnector has been pushed back down by the bolt, the trigger has to be physically pulled to cause the trigger bar to engage the sear.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline todd092157

• Crapgame
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
  • Maybe the guy's a Republican
Re: Rebound Disconnector
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 12:23:47 AM »
Thanks Greatguns.  Still not sure I grasp why it's needed.  Here's my thought process after studying the firing sequence extensively and the trigger group function:

When the bolt is not in battery, the primary disconnector is at its upmost position, letting the trigger bar rest against the housing's sear rails, thus preventing the trigger from actuating the sear.

Once the bolt has fallen into its locking recess, the disconnector pushes down on the trigger bar, which can then actuate the sear if needed.

Upon firing, the hammer's cam pushes the trigger bar below the sear, thus disconnecting it, and allowing the sear to intercept the hammer upon cocking. Pull the trigger and the process repeats.

The rebound disconnector only comes into play when the bolt is retracted: in this position the hammer is beyond full-cock and depresses the rebound disconnector, which pushes the trigger bar below the sear... BUT the trigger bar is already below the sear, having been disconnected upon firing!

So, what's the point???

The only time the rebound disconnector would have any use, is if someone tried to manipulate the bolt while holding the trigger, which is a stupid thing to do anyway. I can see where, if things were just right (or just wrong, rather), the sear could be pushed out of the way and the hammer left hanging on the primary disconnector, which would result in a hammer follow, and possible slam-fire.

This can be demonstrated by simulating the sequence: cock the rifle slowly, putting just the right amount of pressure on the trigger, and without pulling the bolt fully rearward to avoid the rebound disconnector doing its job and disconnecting the trigger bar. It takes attention, but then you can potentially create a slam fire.

So, from what I understand, the trigger group is perfectly safe and functional without the rebound disconnector, unless a purebred imbecile is at the controls.

Am I missing something?
.........because I hit what I aim at