Author Topic: My War Horse  (Read 5441 times)

Offline K.Campbell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
My War Horse
« on: October 25, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »

I purchased this Chinese  Norinco for a good deal about two months ago. when I got it it was in an ATI stock without bayonet and needed a good cleaning. I happened to have an old war horse stock that matched the same era as the 4 digit reciever... my next task was to purchase a cleaning rod and cleaning kit... found on ebay. Then, in my opinion, the single most important item, the blade bayonet... got that here from FIRSTCHOICE.. a very nice fella to deal with...(thanks again!) my Norinco is not even close to numbers matching, but I absolutely love the looks, the blade bayonet and 20 round mag set it off. It’s a very accurate rifle that runs flawlessly. I have others, but this one is my favorite..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:10:35 PM by K.Campbell »

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: My War Horse
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »
nice work on getting it to this condition.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »
Thanks I enjoyed doing it..it’s relaxing and satisfying at the same time..  :)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 07:50:11 PM »
4 digit reciever?

Which digits? Or which range of four digits?

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »

These..

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:24:06 PM »
I think that's the oddest serial number I've ever seen (what I can see of it). It's 1622XV ?. I assume it's a scrub and replace. I think I see the trace of an old number to the left of the 6. Who's the importer? I see just a portion of the caliber stamp to the right.

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 04:07:51 AM »
It’s  A62XX XV /26\  I’ll have to look again for the importer... at work now
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 04:47:07 AM by K.Campbell »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »
That serial looks virtually identical to my 59 letter gun....sans the XV.
Same (either A or D cyrillic letter seemingly struck at a slant) four digits slightly spaced after the letter, and lightly struck slightly slanted /26\. Mine is 5656 guns 'newer'.

The XV suffix could be refurb stamps if GM's new theory about the prefix/suffix letters on serials holds any water. With a gun this age, like my 64 with two letters, could perhaps indicate two refurbishment cycles in it's lifetime. I don't think I have ever seen either an X or a V on other suffix stamped guns, but nor have I seen M or L like on my 64.  It seems like GM could be on the right track regarding what they are there for, the meaning of the letters will require further study. Location or refurb, what may have been replaced, or simply the final inspectors 'personal' stamp?

My 59 came from a batch of barreled receivers that had been stateside in that condition for decades. It's lack of letter(s) could be due to it never going through a rebuild. Going through all of my Chinese...I found that the only ones with letters also had Norinco incorporated into the import stamp. I only have two Norinco marked ones without letters, one a /906\ that came 'new' to me in cosmoline...the other a heavily scrubbed and oddest serial/arsenal stamp I have seen. It's almost enough evidence that the import stamps SHOULD read 'Remade in China by Norinco'. :)
If this proves to be in the realm of true...let it be known I coined the term Norincofurb. :P

I would be interested in the import stamp to see if it follows along with the theory.

Nice save from the plastic on this gun, did you have to hog out any wood to allow the 20 rounder to open? I have had zero success with mine. I could only get it to fit into two guns, and neither would allow it to open enough to get any rounds out of it....which was particularly troubling since they wouldn't feed either! Both the guns it would go into, I wasn't willing to alter the stocks...so it's sitting in a drawer awaiting more SKSs to try it on. Seems like a legit excuse to buy more SKSs....right?  chuckles1

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »
I haven’t had an issue with my 20 round mag... yet, now as karma goes I prolly will the next time I shoot it. I’ll have to check my import marks and I’ll let ya know.. on the right side past the serial numbers it is lightly struck as “sporter”.. I’ll look at it again when I get home.

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »
I re read your post... I’ve never tried to manually empty the mag, so I’m not sure if it will clear enough to empty unfired bullets or not...  now ya have me wondering. I’ll check report back..

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
I haven’t had an issue with my 20 round mag... yet, now as karma goes I prolly will the next time I shoot it. I’ll have to check my import marks and I’ll let ya know.. on the right side past the serial numbers it is lightly struck as “sporter”.. I’ll look at it again when I get home.

99.9% chance it's a B-West import. Sounds like you saved her from what bubba did, nice!  thumb1

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
im not a huge fan of restocking my wooden stock rifles into plastic stocks... I have however seen a few on this site that look ok to me and if others want to do it that’s ok too.. makes mine more valuable down the road..  :)

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
Where would I find the information to tell me who the importer was?

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 03:20:44 PM »

Spot on!!! B West it is....It was stamped so small it was hard to see!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 03:23:13 PM »
Where would I find the information to tell me who the importer was?

In your picture in the fifth post of the SN, you can see a portion of the import mark just to the right of the /26\.  Font looks quite small, you may need a magnifying glass to read it :))

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Nice save K. Looks good, although I personally don't like the appearance of the Star mags. It' funny how mismatched mongrel dogs can be great shooters. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline K.Campbell

• Cadet
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »
Yes sir, out of all of my SKSs I think I like the warhorse the best!

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 02:22:22 AM »
KC, just curious - I've seen it on various auction sites and forums - why do folks cover a digit or two when posting pics of their SKSs  (and other rifles)? Tks!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »
KC, just curious - I've seen it on various auction sites and forums - why do folks cover a digit or two when posting pics of their SKSs  (and other rifles)? Tks!

My take on that question..... :o

Security or paranoia.. you call it....  some think it prevents someone from reporting that serial/weapon as stolen causing legal issues down the road during a resell or trade, filing an insurance claim against a stolen weapon or even going as far as opening an auction for said weapon. It's an age old argument, some say it's an urban legend, others have claimed it's happened. I'm not saying it cant happen, because some people want what others have, but it sure is alot of trouble to go through. It's trouble when one considers the number and amount of serial numbers posted daily on GunBroker, Rock Island Auctions, Simpsons and other huge retailer/auction houses, some of that stuff is worth huge money. Also, just think how many serial numbers one could get at a LGS or a gunshow. There is also a paranoia that big brother is watching, well that may be the case, and if one is worried that big brother is watching and scoping out your inventory, why should or would you dare post a picture of anything on line.

Kind of like people who get all squeamish about someone seeing their car registration out of fear for seeing the V.I.N. or their address on it....  Typically the V.I.N. is posted for all the world to see in the lower left windshield and numerous places that are externally accessible and the address could be gotten from your license plate.

As a C&R holder... every thing I buy gets logged in my book, I still maintain my original logbooks from years past because of all the info in them, even modern non-eligible stuff gets logged in the same, but separate book with all receipts and or any information like USPS money order receipts and shipping receipts. If something happens to the analog paper version, there is also a digital electronic version of both. I treat used behind the dumpster FTF purchased stuff the same, I even try to get a basic bill of sale from the seller, sometimes it works..sometimes not, but at least get the make, model and license plate of the sellers auto, and his first/last name.. and if the person is if'fy...walk away, no deal. The more information/documentation you have if and when something were to happen where a LEO is knocking on your door...the better off you are in the long run.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 04:25:36 PM »
Can't argue with that. I've come across three totally false SKS ads on Armslist this year - pictures lifted from the Interweb with dubious descriptions, payment and "individual seller" that go thru FFL's. In one instance, I (virtually) got the seller down from $550+$40 shipping to $150 w/free shipping for a super clean M59 (still on the hunt).
My register includes every aspect of the deal, including pictures - just in case. Plus, residing in Kalifornia presents it's own set of challenges!
I'm mildly/mildly content that my SKS's (no M59/66's w/grenade launcher) with fixed 10rd magazine & bayonet, are still legal here.

Thanks for your perspective!