Author Topic: Sks stock  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Sksghostgun1986

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Newber
Sks stock
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:27:07 AM »
Has anyone filled a sks buttstock with resin or Bondo? I have no use for a cleaning kit in the stock just wondering if anyone's done this on a wood stock?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Sks stock
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:47:35 AM »
Has anyone filled a sks buttstock with resin or Bondo? I have no use for a cleaning kit in the stock just wondering if anyone's done this on a wood stock?

I have never heard of anyone trying this. Are you wanting to increase weight to lessen recoil? What's the purpose? What about just using an aftermarket stock?

I will also note the obvious, 'It will ruin the OEM status and value of the firearm' unless, of course, you use an extra stock for it and save the original one.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:57:39 AM »
Whatever you do, please, nobody ask what BRAND of oil:)

Nice job!
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:03:10 AM »

I have never heard of anyone trying this. Are you wanting to increase weight to lessen recoil? What's the purpose? What about just using an aftermarket stock?

I will also note the obvious, 'It will ruin the OEM status and value of the firearm' unless, of course, you use an extra stock for it and save the original one.

I've seen lead shot added to hollow shotgun stocks for the increased weight to lessen recoil.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:13:08 AM »

I've seen lead shot added to hollow shotgun stocks for the increased weight to lessen recoil.

Yeah, there is that and I have seen that as well, but at least that is temporary. It is definitely an option though, if that is the goal. I would pull the kit spring first though.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 12:42:59 PM »

I had a buddy add shot to an AR stock for his competition rifle.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 07:01:49 PM »
Yeah, typically the CMP rifles have a big triangular lead weight in the buttstock.
As for the SKS wood stock cleaning rod hole have you thought of just gluing in a short wooden dowel?Or leave it as is and put a thin black plastic shim behind the forend cap to cover the hole.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Sksghostgun1986

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Newber
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 01:24:34 AM »
No its not for reducing the recoil its for a more solid buttstock! I did add resin to my t.c.
 Compass for a more rigid forend!! Helped alot was just wondering why not make it solid for a more rigid and durable stock and as far as buying an aftermarket stock I redid a wood one I bought from clearview!