Author Topic: Gunslick Copper Klenz??  (Read 4272 times)

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Gunslick Copper Klenz??
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:44:01 PM »
I'm currently "de-copperfying" the bores on my heavily used varmint rifles.  Got me a bottle of "Gunslick Copper-Klenz".  I've never used the stuff before.  Guess it's doin the job. 

Anyone ever use this before?  Any tips?  Preferances for something different? jd 
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Gunslick Copper Klenz??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:57:56 PM »
I've never used it before jd but thanks for sharing the info, good to know.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
I can't say I've used it. I've always been leary of copper removers, especially with chrome bores. Chrome plating, from what I understand, is a layer of copper, then nickle, then chrome. Now what if you have a thin spot or a nick? And it removes copper. :o

And then there is this, from way back in the day.. :)

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »
That makes sense. I remember those periodicals, a preventive maintenance pamplet that used to give tips on care for everything in the inventory!

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:12 PM »
GM, that is a cool pamphlet you've got there. 

These rifles I did, (three of em) were my high powered 22's that I've been shooting varmints with.  I've been reading some on the bench rest forums and these guys go nuts over copper fouling. 

I think the stuff I used is less potent than a full bore ammonia soak, and it did seem to work pretty well.  Seems to be water based, and really cut the powder/carbon crap first.  Then with a little more scrubbing with a brush, seemed to dissolve the copper, leaving the rifling smoother, and undeniably clean.  I actually think it would be great for a corrosive clean-up. 

If these rifles shoot as well, or even better than before, I'll probably just do it more often, without making such a big thing of it.  I'll let ya know after the next target session.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx