Author Topic: Yugo gas block - weld shut?  (Read 540 times)

Offline doctorj77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Yugo gas block - weld shut?
« on: December 19, 2023, 11:21:00 PM »
Can the gas block on a 59/66 be safely welded closed?

I'm tinkering with a build and would like to remove the shut off valve, but curious if the cut-out left behind could be closed up.  Or, could the valve be left in there in the open/semi position,  but cut off the button and weld it front top side.

Of course I'd file dwn the weld to the contours of the block and reblue.  I can leave it alone for now but eventually I want it gone

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Yugo gas block - weld shut?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 09:35:33 AM »
Murray's sells a gas valve with a hex screw to lock it into whichever position you desire. It will accomplish what you want without being permanent. Another option would be to press off the front end parts and replace the Yugo gas system with a Chinese one, to wit, I have a Chinese gas block I could sell you.

You can't really remove the valve on an M59/66 and have the gas system function properly as the gas tube is held in place by the valve more than the block as opposed to the regular SKSs where the tube seals around the block itself. You would have to weld the valve in place to the block or do what I mentioned above.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline doctorj77

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 04:07:51 PM »
Didn't even think about the valve being the piece sealing against the tube. But that makes sense. So if I didn't want to permanently alter the gas block, I could try Murray's oversized valve sounds like, or just went it in the 'Open' position with the valve in there. Obviously no going back on that one if I decide to change/sell it down the road.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 04:31:51 PM »
That's where Murray's valve comes in. He has direct valve replacements (spring and plunger style) as well as the one that uses a screw to lock the valve in the desired position. The latter is the one you want. Then there is nothing sticking out to get caught on anything, or accidentally get bumped into  closed mode.  You can then easily swap it back to the OEM valve if and when desired.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline doctorj77

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 03:50:39 PM »
Just finished emailing with Murray's yesterday about their GV-2 design. Looks like the hex head sits almost flush with the gas block.

Thanks for the tip. I just give that a try

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 05:03:14 PM »
You are quite welcome and good luck with your project.