Author Topic: Just purchased a strange German/Yugo Mauser  (Read 5685 times)

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Just purchased a strange German/Yugo Mauser
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:13:50 AM »
Hi Guys,
Perchance you can edjumicate me some on the Mauser I just purchased. 

It is a German rifle that had been "repatriated" by Yugoslavia sometime during or right after the war.  It was rearsenaled in a place called "Radionitsa 145" (which is written in Cyrillic on the left side of the receiver followed by "Mod 98/48").  The dust cover currently houses the Yugoslavian crest, but there are also several waffenamt stamps on several of the metal parts.  The stock is the red-glue laminate and is marked with the SN on the left side of the butt and 1-TRZ on the right.  It has the thick butt plate that rises about 1" up the butt stock.

Here are a couple of pics for your enjoyment:

I will post more pics when I get it home...  So, what in the world is a Radionitsa 145 98/48 Mauser  ??? and what is it's place in the scheme of things as a milsurp weapon?  ??? TKS!!
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Just purchased a strange German/Yugo Mauser
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
Yugoslavian scrubbed and refurbed German Mauser, but not a very common one, there is also a Radionica 124, usually Preduzece 44 is the most common seen, there might be one other. Sometimes the stock will be stamped TRZ5 as well. This I am guessing would have been done between 1945 and 1950. And when you translate the cyrillic word Radionica it comes out.. Radionitsa

This is the more common Preduzece 44
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:02:52 PM »
Thanks GM.  Does the model 98/48 mean that a m48 action was placed in a standard M98  during the refurb?  Any idea where Radionitsa/Radionica was located?
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
The Mod 98 and M48 are two different actions, the Mod 98 you got is full size standard issue German made Mauser action, the actual maker/year will be rather difficult to figure out. The M48 is known as an intermediate action, while both are large ring 3 lug actions, they share nothing in common other than the 8mm round. The M98/48 name is just Yugoslavia’s name to separate it from the others, there is also a Yugoslavian M24/52c which is a Yugoslavian reworked Czech vz24, and M.24/47 which are reworked Belgium and Yugoslavian made M24s.

And as far as knowing where Radionitsa/Radionica is located... last I remember, no one really knew, it's kind of a mystery, it's actually a holiday if you look it up, it comes up as the Day of Rejoicing or Commemoration of the Dead.  Or.... :o I just never dug deep enough, I'd kinda be interested to know myself.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:44:15 PM »
You may find additional telltale signs of it's original Nazi Germany (German/Austrian/Czechoslovakian) manufacturer beyond the Mod 98 when you get it in your hands and out of the stock and give it a thorough examination.  The font on the Mod 98, which is the original German marking, is a clue but not an exceptional one (it won't pinpoint the year and maker, just narrow down the ranges), and I couldn't help you there without my reference books.  There may be some WaAs or barrel markings (if not rebarreled) that survived the Yugoslavian refurbishment scrubbers that could be better clues.  If the stock is original to the action (questionable) then it places it as a 40's production K98k.

The M98/48 is an interesting Yugoslavian variant to me, but I've never met a Mauser I didn't like  :)  It should also be a great shooter and easy to find replacement parts to do any repairs over its lifetime, given its normal length action and large ring, as GM said. It isn't highly valued as a collectible K98k derivative by the US German Mauser collector community, but honestly, for a shooter, I'd rather have one of these Yugo reworks than a Russian Capture (RC) or Romanian capture K98k that often have the maker marking intact but may or may not have the Waas peened or scrubbed and often have poor bores.  The Yugoslavians reworked them to be good functional rifles  thumb1

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 02:17:37 PM »
I will update my findings when I receive the rifle.  I am looking forward to learning whatever secrets it is willing to share.  It sounds like it is also going to be a lot of fun to shoot.  :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »
I haven't a clue as to what this is, you're in good hands with these guys though. But I do know for sure it's a beautiful rifle  clap1 and you're a lucky rascal!  ;)

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
Thanks, Danny.  It should be interesting taking her down for cleaning/inspection.  Hoping to find more precise clues on the undersides of parts.  I actually had my eye heavily on another, but this one spoke to me for some reason.  She has more to tell....