Author Topic: Marlin 62  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Marlin 62
« on: May 23, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
Been a while, but I did score another....weird....... firearm.. :)  I love the weird ones..  thumb1

I have the customary Marlin 1895 in .45-70.. a Marlin 1894 in .357(hate it)... a Glenfield Marlin 336 in .30-30(most everyone has one) chuckles1

I found this to add to the pile.. a Marlin 62.. not a commonly seen lever action, in a not very common lever caliber. Made from 1963 to 1969 in 2 calibers, 256 Win Mag and .30 Carbine, the .30 Carbine was only produced from '67 to '69. In total production, just under 16,000 were made. Near as I can tell, this is possibly a pre '68 model or early production, it has no serial, as I understand, some were actually made that had to be returned and be serialized.
This is the .30 Carbine version, like I said, "not a common lever caliber", has the usual Marlin microgroove barrel, it's fed from a 4 round box magazine, which I also got 2 spares with the gun. It also employs a different system than Marlin uses on their main stream lever action, called Levermatic, it's a short throw lever and uses a cam and roller locking system. It is very smooth and takes very little effort to cycle the action.

How short is this the lever throw, it's about a quarter of what a normal lever action would be

That scope mount is now long gone...in case your wondering :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Marlin 62
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 12:33:11 PM »
That lever looks awfully tiny. Is it uncomfortable for Sasquatch hands to cycle it?  chuckles1

Any option for a more than a 4 round box mag?  Seems a little inefficient for .30 carbine, esp if they are a bear to load.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
Yup my monkeypaws fit just fine  thumb1  it's only and inch or so shorter than an SKS, measures 38.75 inches overall w/ 20 inch barrel. Loading the mags is not bad.

4 rounders is all I've seen, if it were .256 Win mag it would be 3 rounds, same magazine....the 256 a rimmed round, basically a 256 bullet in a .357 mag case, it's a hot little round too. I'm guessing they keep the round count low cause it's a hunting/varmint type weapon and there is not many made and not much call.... an M1 Carbine it is not.

And look, it works well for clover engorged subterranean glutinous rodents .. a 16 pounder, the third largest in my record book.. go ahead, dig under my shed again, do ya feel lucky, well do ya..rat... bat1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 03:32:04 PM »
Nice gun and I like that short stroke lever...racing cams for a lever gun  :o

And look, it works well for clover engorged subterranean glutinous rodents .. a 16 pounder, the third largest in my record book.. go ahead, dig under my shed again, do ya feel lucky, well do ya..rat... bat1

A good looking rifle that can pull its weight...or twice its weight I guess  :)) thumb1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
I've been binge watching westerns lately....that short throw would certainly have raised some eyebrows. Seems like it would make shooting prone a lot easier, or at least help keep you down lower.  It also seems like repeat shots would be quicker and easier to target.  Both things that kinda bug me about lever actions. I might just have to keep my eyes peeled, that also might be something more common to find around locally, cowboys n such....my last lever action had a cork and a string. :)

Nice!  thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:20 PM »
nice, thanks for sharing. thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 12:28:52 PM »
Well, lets necrothread post... and update :) A good while back, I stumbled onto a second Marlin 62, another 30 Carbine. this one has a slightly different stock, plus it had a cocking and cycling issue, which took a while to locate and find the correct parts. I actually got it back up and running last week and she spoke and shucked 4 rounds successfully. The two serials are about 1150 off.

The number 15,000 above is how many total 62s were made, 7800 of those were 30 Carbine.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 12:34:00 PM »
Dang those look nice. I am Envious GM
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 04:33:26 PM »
That's pretty cool. Too bad they don't take M1 mags. I've been on the look out for a .22 LR Ruger 96 for ever. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798