Author Topic: Question on the Beta Arms "D"  (Read 3958 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Question on the Beta Arms "D"
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:31:07 AM »
  For many years, I have referred to my Beta Arms "D" rifles as NIB-Unfired. After reading many of the threads about the various commercial imports, made for the US market, I'm wondering if the "D" receivers were new and made specifically for the detachable AK-magazines? Or were they reworked standard Type 56 receivers?

Thought I'd better get it right after this many years. I'd always thought that they were new production. But I'd like to have the expert's knowledge and opinions please.

firstchoice

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Question on the Beta Arms "D"
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:21:34 AM »
Sounds like a good one for xxxjoe.    Pretty she he says these were new made guns for export.  Im sure they had the parts to do it.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:11:12 AM »
Definitely XXX is the one to seek the advice from.  We're all still learning stuff every day though.  We always assumed the Claycos were new manufacture.  Then one day Pat Adams bought one and it had the telltale remains of a triangle stamp on the left side of the receiver.  You had to know what you were looking for, but it definitely was there.

Those came into the US in the '84 timeframe.  By the time the '88 to '94 prefixed type 56s came in we have some pretty good evidence that they were consistently scrubbing old guns, reassembling them into new stocks, and refurbishing them such that they looked new.  Long lug, Short Lug, or pinned barrel all showed mixed together with a variety of 'matching' supporting parts of all eras.  I find it a hard sell to say that all, or even a majority of the Ms, Ds, NRs, Sporters etc. are new manufacture when so many other guns of the period are scrubbed for resale.  Anything is possible though.

We may never truly know the answer, but that's pretty much the purpose of this forum: to discuss ideas and theories in a civil manner (w/o getting wound around the axle) and see if we can come to an agreement based on the evidence we can produce.   thumb1

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »
You are right the Chinese aren't talking so all we have is are own two eye's and the patterns we see.
Just like sighting in a rfle we get flyers. Most people don't count the flyers. Thats why I haven't changed the Clayco page. Until I see a pattern Pats rifle belongs in the (other) page. Somebody grabbed a receiver off the wrong pile or somebody added one off the wrong pile to meet quota. Who knows. It is a pinned barrel and stamped fcg. The triangle does not change the date it was made.

Changes in factory 26 production are known. Long lug first, short lug second and pinned barrel last in 1980 give or take. The Chinese learned we wanted AK mag rifles in 1983. So they experimented with the NA Type84 and set up production modifying existing rifles with the MC-5D. Both have long barrel lugs and signs of scrubbing. All the rest the 63, D, M, NR and the Sporter are pinned barrel all of them. If they were made from parts or made from existing rifles you would see long and short barrel lugs mixed in. I truly believe these AK mag rifles were the last of SKS NEW PRODUCTION. I don't consider part guns the same as new production. These rifles are always found in excellant condition.  The same can't be said for the mixmasters.

8).................Joe

WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »
All good points Joe.  Thanks!  thumb1.  I learned most everything I know about Chinese commercial guns from you.  I didn't realize you hadn't changed thoughts on the Claycos, I guess we need more specimens to study. (And I need to read the guide pages again!)

So here's a question for you, besides /416\, have any other arsenal stamps popped up on any of the commercial AK magazine accepting Chinese SKSs?