Author Topic: 1978 Albanian  (Read 4260 times)

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
1978 Albanian
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:03:39 AM »
Quite possibly the one rifle I don't particularly like :o, but I keep it and just bought a 1971 Albanian because they are rare.(stay tuned for the '71) thumb1 I swear, this stock was fitted with a pocket knife and a half working Dremel. The action fits so loose in the mounted stock, you can literally hold the stock and shake the action. In the one photo of the top cover, between the action and stock are 3 pieces of credit card cut to take up the space and tighten it up. The crossbolt can and will fall out if I hold it right. The replacement stock that came with it has not been fitted and still has pencil marks on the wood.  Oh, I can't remember where I found that nasty sling which looks Chinese, but the fabric is slightly different than most Chinese I've seen., the bandoleer and cleaning kit and oil vial.

Anyway, the important thing is, it's an Albanian, made in 1978, and it's an SKS. It still has grease in the gastube and action for the most part. I'll just leave it as is, I have plenty of entertainment.  wink1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: 1978 Albanian
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »
Well in spite of the deficiencies you list it's still a good looking carbine!

Offline monkeyboy

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »
Great rifle! The stock its in is a replacement stock. As you noted they're often poorly fitted. I'm not sure of the oiler, haven't seen an Albanian oiler like that. Was the oiler a score from AIM 2003-2004?

Offline Garand1957

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
  • https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/6
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
Great rifle! The stock its in is a replacement stock. As you noted they're often poorly fitted. I'm not sure of the oiler, haven't seen an Albanian oiler like that. Was the oiler a score from AIM 2003-2004?
I have never seen that variation of oiler in an Albanian.
I have a metal one and then two colors of the typical plastic one.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:51:38 PM »
I have randomly seen that oiler here/there posted by collectors over the years. Cant remember what mine looks like.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
Was the oiler a score from AIM 2003-2004?

I "think" I may have bought that stuff from Alans Armory, as my fuzzy failing memory remembers, he sold off a bunch of Albanian accessories a while back. Maybe like China, there was more than one type of oil bottle. I don't have a clue really.  The extra stock was never fitted to any rifle, it won't even attempt to fit.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:46:37 PM »
Still an Albanian despite its issues! Too bad I got rid of my spare Albanian stock last year. I would have offered it to you.

The sling that came on my Albanian looks like a Chinese, same leather tabs but has a sandy color versus a Green. Could it just be a wron Chinese sling? Possibly, but the color just looks too different.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:30:12 PM by Worm »