Author Topic: Swedish Mauser  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Swedish Mauser
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 06:22:36 AM »
Definitely a replacement stock, the original would have been in walnut, not beech, with an 85 degree cut to the butt. See if there's a crown behind the trigger guard with a letter under it, that will tell you which arsenal rebuilt it. There should be 19 numbered pieces. Cleaning rods never match and are not counted as a numbered part. Stay way from American 6.5X55, PPU is perfect, reloading better still. Sling removal is easy, getting it back on correctly isn't, simple but those brass studs are tough to get on.

Good info, I never knew that about these.

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »
Yes, thanks to Sheepdog  thumb1 I now know that the sling was put up incorrectly. Waiting on mink oil to try to take it off. It is fragile. I think I might have to buy a quick release version - this one may not survive multiple cycles of on and off.

The rifle does have a Carl Gustav (crowned C) rebuild mark by the trigger guard.

Offline sheepdog

• BIG MONEY GRIFF
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Khrushchev was right
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 01:23:59 PM »
Yes, thanks to Sheepdog  thumb1 I now know that the sling was put up incorrectly. Waiting on mink oil to try to take it off. It is fragile. I think I might have to buy a quick release version - this one may not survive multiple cycles of on and off.

The rifle does have a Carl Gustav (crowned C) rebuild mark by the trigger guard.

Rebuilt at the Carl Gustafs factory. Check under the wood and see if there's are Crown C stamp and see if the serial number's font on the barrel matches the font on the receiver. Often when a major rebuild was done the rifle got a new barrell too.

Here's a great reference site for Swedish Mausers. Three of mine are in the survey at the bottom which hasn't been added to in years.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/wrist.html
LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2021, 09:34:06 AM »
It took three applications of mink oil, but I was able to take it off (just as I was about to give up). The rear band gave me some trouble too, but I managed. The seller was truthful - he never fired it - the whole action and the underside of the barrel was still in cosmoline! I doubt he ever took it apart. The workmanship on this one was the best I've seen on any milsurp. Very impressive. All the numbers match including the one on the stock - no numbers on the hand guard. I guess the barrel stamp has a different font (see the pics), so it must be a replacement? 

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2021, 11:47:53 AM »
Late to the thread... but you have a great rifle there.  Nice.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 11:19:59 PM »
A true beauty.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 11:12:06 AM »
Thanks you, gentlemen. Mausers are really growing on me now....

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »
Thanks you, gentlemen. Mausers are really growing on me now....

Damn Mausers. I'm the idiot who overpaid for this one.  Hopefully it'll turn out ok in real life.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Argentine-Berlin-Mauser-1909-7-65x53mm-Bolt-Action-Rifle/lotInformation/63705827&rfpb=0#Top

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2021, 01:40:11 PM »
I don’t know about overpaid, but that’s a darn fine looking firearm.  Have much 7.62 argentine do you have?  I was going to get an Argentine Navy FN49 way back when with the 20 round detachable magazine but the price as well as the caliber conversion from argentine to 7.62 NATO scared me away. Kind of wish i had gotten it these days though.  dntknw1

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »
I have zero Arg 7.65 ammo on hand, but it is still produced so I'll land some eventually. I was looking for a nice 98 pattern Mauser for a while and I figured if I wanted a really nice one that I can afford it'll have to be a South American one. Also I king of dig their stamps and crests :) . The prices on Argentine Mausers went up a lot lately  :( Just like everything else, I suppose. But you get a hell of a rifle for your money in those Mausers. I really liked the wood on this one, looks like there is some rust on the barrel, hopefully it's not too bad... I was hoping to get it cheaper but I wasn't the only one interested and a bidding war ensued.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2021, 04:27:17 PM »
That is a beauty CZ! Matching down to the muzzle guard  :o The Argentine contract DWM Model 1909s are really nice, being a large ring Mauser of the Gew98 lineage and often in really good condition, having been produced at the German DWM facility before WWI broke out. The addition of the Riccheri device for attaching M1891 style Argentine bayonets is a nice feature as well.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »
I was going to get an Argentine Navy FN49 way back when with the 20 round detachable magazine but the price as well as the caliber conversion from argentine to 7.62 NATO scared me away. Kind of wish i had gotten it these days though.  dntknw1

That is one of the pricier (non-scoped) FN49 variants. I'd love to have one. A cool post-FAL era conversion.

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2021, 08:22:34 PM »
Thank you, Gentlemen! Fingers crossed there won't be any nasty surprises when I get it. I also liked the fact that the muzzle cover was matching.

Interestingly enough the lot before was possibly a SCW Mosin with a sanded stock. I let it go. I think somebody got a decent deal on it.
https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Mosin-Nagant-1891-7-65x54R-Russian-Bolt-Action-Rifle/lotInformation/63705825

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 02:03:42 PM »
Guys.
I do have a couple of those slings if anyone is in need.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2021, 12:51:24 PM »
The Argentino is here. Unfortunately its showed up with a broken safety - snapped in half. There is some damage to the box, so I'm guessing it's Fedex's fault. Had to be quite a hit for it to dislodge like that.... Thankfully it is not a serialized part on those (unlike the Swedes). Any tips on filing the claim with Fedex? The seller is an auction house, so I guess making them do that is going to be counterproductive....

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2021, 12:58:28 PM »
The shipper usually has to initiate insurance claims. I'd reach out to them. It's likely to soak up way more than $5-10 of your time to get any satisfaction but at least worth it to reach out to the auction house. I'm guessing they shipped it with the bolt in the rifle, right?

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
I'm guessing they shipped it with the bolt in the rifle, right?

Yep.

Offline Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2021, 01:28:17 PM »
Also noticed tiny but long hairline cracks off the wrist (on the bottom). Not a biggie and could have been there before (sort of classic locations for those), but I suppose it could have been also the result of shipping issues.

it looks like fedex allows for the recipient to initiate the claim too. But I'll reach out to the seller anyway.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Only the sender can initiate the claim for FedEx Ground.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 01:38:49 PM by Cz315 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »
I'm guessing they shipped it with the bolt in the rifle, right?

Yep.

Yup, rookie move. Never ship a bolt action rifle with the bolt in it.