Author Topic: Pair of Norinco Type 54s  (Read 3120 times)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Pair of Norinco Type 54s
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2021, 07:09:44 PM »
Very Nice.

Where are these coming from. Is there any information on the exporters?

Still a mystery.

The only imports I find for R-Guns are from IMI. It seems somewhat odd that these Type 54s would have come from Israel. One hypothesis would be that they were captured from Egyptian, Lebanese, Palestinian, other Arab neighbors as recently as 1984 (given the 31 year codes observed), held by IWI then IMI after IWI was privatized, and sold to R-Guns recently. Another hypothesis is that the import genius website is incomplete and they came from some other country, whose sale to R-Guns wasn't recorded.

https://www.importgenius.com/importers/r-guns-sportwereus-inc

Hey, phos--

RGuns definitely imported a bunch from the recent batch of Albanian type56's-- did those also go thru IMI in Haifa? Or maybe, as you suggested, importgenius doesn't have up-to-date info?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2021, 11:40:56 PM »
Interesting pcke2000-

There's a  member on a thread at gunboards who says his friend, Bob, played a part in finding these Type54's and he swears that they are coming from Albania.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/chinese-type-54-rguns.1160161/post-10386293

Could they be 2nd hand aid from another middle-eastern country like Egypt or Iran? Possibly Pakistan?

Good gravy, that thread is a trainwreck of "When was my Type 54 made?!" questions.  That's what happens when you have those old guard guys who simply won't accept ideas that are not theirs.  It does tend to box them into a corner though; if they won't accept the nth year of production year code for a T56 SKS, it gets mighty uncomfortable when T54 Toks with stamped dates show up en masse (we had the T54 as a prominent complimentary data point early on). 

These pistols certainly follow the pattern for the most part.  The missing '60 and '61 years are odd man out (but line up nicely with letter T53s and T56s) Funny that it took well into the '62 production to jump back to the right prefix...

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 01:11:45 PM »
There's a separate thread on the military handgun sub forum where howie is collecting serial numbers.

I was surprised by all of the late dates and M20's.

1960 and 1961.
Weird things evident in serial sequences fur the tyoe53's, type54's, and the Type56 sks aroumf.that same period.

Hmmm.

My guess is the the ak56 and type56 rpd have similar serial oddities...

Makes one wonder if something was going on behind the scenes in China from- 1959-62.
 think1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 10:56:15 PM »
I'll never knock Howie collecting those numbers.  It's a thankless job and I know from experience that it is a massive time sink.  I've got a few hundred T54 photos with about 50 or so S/Ns stashed away (enough to proof out the general table that Cameron posted in his post in that Gunboards T54 thread...we actually had a very similar table from user yej0001 that LC posted in the Q: When was my Chinese Type 56 SKS made? thread).  Heck for all I know they may be the same guy. :P

In the end, the data rules & we are just along for the ride.  It's always good to have more data.  Maybe if the old guard comes up with the 'hey the prefix really is the nth year of production' conclusion on their own with this 'new' data they will finally accept it.  I just wish they would have had an open mind when we pieced everything together back in '14 as every year that the old millions theory hangs around it does irreparable damage to newbie collectors just getting into the Chinese milsurp game. 

Online Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
GM, are the mags on these also original Chinese? I see they sell extras for 25 bucks, is anything known about those?

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 10:43:29 PM »
GM, are the mags on these also original Chinese? I see they sell extras for 25 bucks, is anything known about those?

refurb Chinese with or without serial.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 10:59:55 PM »
Neither have a serial.  I have some Romanian mags with no serial..  they fit too.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2021, 09:54:20 PM »
As far as the trigger goes, an original trigger will work with no other changes to the pistol. I had to try some spares I had from years ago to find the best function, but they work well in the two RGuns imports that I have.

I've also used Romanian magazines in mine, and they work quite well. I didn't think they did initially, but I fired both pistols without extra lube with a few hang-ups, and once I applied some Lucas heavy duty everything smoothed out. Both of mine (1954 and 1964) are mis-matched as most of these seem to be. Frame and slide match, but small parts on the 1954 are a random mix. The 1964 frame and slide match, with all else matching another pistol (bushing, barrel, trigger mechanism all match each other).

I'm really happy these are coming in, but hang on to your Yugoslav M57s from Armamentos - those are the best imports I've seen in a while, as far Tokarevs go.