Author Topic: Yugoslavian/German Mod.98  (Read 7659 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Yugoslavian/German Mod.98
« on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
Yes, Yugoslavia also got war reparations, as well as had German capture weapons after 1945. They refurbished quite a few German Mod.98 rifles, these were possibly done prior and just after production started on the M48 series. They scrubbed the marks, and restamped them with their crest. Some can be found with a Mod.98/48 stamp, these were usually done sometime after 1950, this one was done prior. Some can be found completely rebuilt and rebarreled, others like this example, given a once over, and stored or reissued. This one still has the remnants of the German swastika and an eagle stamp remaining, as well as a German curved buttplate red glue lamianted stock and hand guard.. As for dating when and where it was built, thats a mystery. I found kicking around a local shop Tuesday, and made off with it for 240 OTD. A nice odd Yugo stamped variant with German quality and no German price to add to the pile. 

The last remnant of the Third Reich marks. The faint stamp of a swastika above the "P" and an eagle stamp on the sight slider.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Yugoslavian/German Mod.98
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »
Thing is sweet man, all round cool mauser that seen some definite use  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:29:46 PM »
Thing is sweet man, all round cool mauser that seen some definite use  thumb1

Yeah,  "go get it" he said  bat1  bat1

I ain't never worked as hard to clean a weapon as this one, I could barely see through the bore :o, and the grease :o. In the sun today on a piece of cardboard, it soaked totally through, and is still leaking. But, after a ton of work, a blown out bore brush, I finally, found the rifling thumb1, it's a crappy bore shot and looks better in person.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »
Nice looking rifle that's had some hard use.  Glad you could bring the bore back to life. A K98 for under $300 is a "buy it now" no matter which country's arsenal it passed through  thumb1   

Since I had Bogdanovic's book next to me, his table shows 320,000 of these K98s, or M98(n) in Yugo terminology, were re-arsenaled from 1948-51.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
Nice rifle GM, my old 98 has a bore about like that and shoots pretty good.  I ended up using PB Blaster and a stainless brush.  And I've been tempted to use valve grind compound on it, but I'd never tell anyone.   :-X 

We've got one of those BIG 5  stores around here that has been advertising these --

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/browse/fishing-hunting/hunting/sporting-arms/_/N-aec?No=24&Nrpp=24#

Been gonna go look, but haven't got around to it.  Sale ends today so --- I guess I'll save my money for the gunshow next weekend.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »
I figure a few more rounds through it and then another cleaning should bring it back nicely. I sent 5 hot Turkish rounds through it already. I try to avoid aggressive methods, unless truly warranted. 

I shoulda learned years ago about the local shows, I went to the one here last weekend, total toad show. bat1 Dudes sleeping behind tables and if it wasn't black plastic, it was way over priced, to the point I could have bought it on-line for at least 25% cheaper, even after shipping.  I was almost tempted to asked for a refund, something to replace those wasted hours, I mean, I coulda watched Thema and Louise and felt better about myself.

Local shops are good hunting grounds after a show. thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:09:53 AM »
That's a good lookin' Heifer Greasemonkey, does it shoot okay?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:26:58 AM »
Any good for rabbit hunting?    rofl

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 01:36:50 AM »

No clue....yet, :) I just put the 5 through it to help blow the cobwebs out of it.  Once and a while, putting a few rounds through it can actually help the cleaning process, especially when they are as bad as this bore was.

Any good for rabbit hunting?    rofl

I'll let ya know when I get a few and serve up some Hasenpfeffer thumb1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 01:48:23 AM »

No clue....yet, :) I just put the 5 through it to help blow the cobwebs out of it.  Once and a while, putting a few rounds through it can actually help the cleaning process, especially when they are as bad as this bore was.

You're right, it does help sometimes...tried it myself on some old rifles a few years back that hadn't been fired in a while.

I like this one...real nice!