Author Topic: Type 44 Carbine (Converted from a Type 38 rifle)  (Read 969 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Type 44 Carbine (Converted from a Type 38 rifle)
« on: March 07, 2023, 05:13:55 PM »
I have a variety of standard Type 99 short rifles from various manufacturers and different stages in the war, an early Type 99 long rifle, a Type 38 long rifle, a Type 38 carbine and I recently added a Type 30 rifle, but a Type 44 carbine has been on my list for a long time. Finally, a few weeks ago this one popped up at an auction in a condition I liked and a cost I could bear. As a conversion, it does not have the customary Type 44 (四四式) marking. However, I'm really very pleased to have one of these rarer Type 44s converted from a Type 38 (三八式) rifle.

The craftsmanship on these is first rate. So much complex inletting in the wood work with very tight fitting. The third variation bayonet assembly (longest and most rigid of the three variants, barrel is free floated within the "shroud") and the buttplate trap-door mechanism are very well executed. Of all of the integrated-folding-bayonet carbines in my collection, Mosin M44 lineage, SKS-45 and variants, Czech Vz52 and Vz52/57, Rasheed, the Type 44 is of course the first chronologically in year of design and the easiest to operate with the nice large and smooth button with a very secure feel when deployed or retracted. The ones with barrel rings like the Mosin M44 lineage and SKSs are certainly very secure when deployed, but not as easy to operate. The Vz52 is nearly as easy to operate as this Type 44, but doesn't feel as secure.

PICTURES

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Type 44 Carbine (Converted from a Type 38 rifle)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 09:23:05 PM »
Very nice Sir! Congratulations!

Looks like a Nagoya 'rebuilt' Type 44?

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 11:44:50 PM »
Very nice indeed. I too have a few Arisakas. Actually, a T38 long rifle that my uncle liberated in New Guinea, was given to me by him when I was 10. 2 T38s rifles, one T38 carbine school rifle, 2 T99s, one being a substitute standard. I've also got a Siamese T45 in original 8X54 (?) chambering. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 03:47:20 AM »
Very nice indeed. I too have a few Arisakas. Actually, a T38 long rifle that my uncle liberated in New Guinea, was given to me by him when I was 10. 2 T38s rifles, one T38 carbine school rifle, 2 T99s, one being a substitute standard. I've also got a Siamese T45 in original 8X54 (?) chambering. PAX

Nice! Your Type 38 from your uncle definitely wins the top prize in my book!  8) thumb1

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 09:31:04 PM »

Nice! Your Type 38 from your uncle definitely wins the top prize in my book!  8) thumb1

2 of my uncles, my pops, and some distant cousins were in the 1st Filipino Regiment. My dad was a Seargent in charge of a rifle squad (?) with 2 .30 cal MGs. My uncle was an Alamo Scout and was involved in some spooky chit. He and 2 other Filipinos in their unit, were snuck ashore by submarine on Leyte. They hooked up with the locals and were given work in the Japanese officer's mess, the 3 of them could speak Japanese when none of the locals could. The intel they gathered was instrumental for the invasion of Leyte. He gave me the T38 because my auntie didn't want it in her home, it had bad anting-anting (Filipino juju). Like a dumb kid I re-blued it and did the wood. It is one of my most cherished possessions. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 11:23:01 PM »

2 of my uncles, my pops, and some distant cousins were in the 1st Filipino Regiment. My dad was a Seargent in charge of a rifle squad (?) with 2 .30 cal MGs. My uncle was an Alamo Scout and was involved in some spooky chit. He and 2 other Filipinos in their unit, were snuck ashore by submarine on Leyte. They hooked up with the locals and were given work in the Japanese officer's mess, the 3 of them could speak Japanese when none of the locals could. The intel they gathered was instrumental for the invasion of Leyte. He gave me the T38 because my auntie didn't want it in her home, it had bad anting-anting (Filipino juju). Like a dumb kid I re-blued it and did the wood. It is one of my most cherished possessions. PAX

Wow, that is a really rich family service history. Thanks for sharing!  8) thumb1

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 12:33:23 PM »

Wow, that is a really rich family service history. Thanks for sharing!  8) thumb1

Those guys never really spoke about their combat action in detail much, but my cousin started to document the family history, and at 92 my uncle opened up a bit. He did mention that the preferred method to dispatch the Japs was the Bolo. My pops was the eldest and looked out for everyone state side. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 08:38:05 PM »
Beautiful. I really to get off my butt and take pics of the 'regular' M44 I recently got. Not as cool as yours with ground mum, but I like it

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 08:44:57 PM »

Those guys never really spoke about their combat action in detail much, but my cousin started to document the family history, and at 92 my uncle opened up a bit. He did mention that the preferred method to dispatch the Japs was the Bolo. My pops was the eldest and looked out for everyone state side. PAX

The Pacific Theater was an especially rough sort of war with the militaristic indoctrination that the Japanese received.

I have a few bolos. The one knife with the broken tip that isn't US military issue has always puzzled me. I got it in a large lot of bayonets and blades many years ago. It only recently occurred to me while looking at bolos that there's some chance it's of Philippine origins...I really don't know.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:09:25 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 10:29:56 PM »
Nice assortment of knives. I have my dad's Bolo, it and the scabbard looks like your bottom longer unit but more "home made" leaf spring looking, with the edge sharpened for a right had slice. Years later I discovered that they were fierce warriors, one generation from the jungle. I've got literature and documentaries on the Filipino units and guerillas. I asked my dad once why he didn't want to go shooting with me, and he said it was because he lived with a Thompson sub machine gun & a 1911 for 2 years, but he was our Boy Scout instructor for our .22 merit badges. Sorry to thread jack but you touched a nerve on this one. PAX
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:35:59 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 02:47:31 PM »
Here's a crappy picture of my Arisaka built rifles. T38 capture (repo sling & dust cover) and my dads Bolo, T38 school carbine, T38 short rifle project, T99 parts-built wall hanger,  T99 substitute standard, & Siamese T46 in 8X50R

And my uncle at an awards ceremony. He has the 1st Filipino Regiment cap on. PAX

You need a crew  

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 02:57:36 PM »
No apologies necessary, I'm happy to hear about this personal family history. Thanks for the additional info and pics of weapons and family  thumb1

The handle on your family bolo is definitely a similar shape to the one I have. I would guess the pair of long and short marks on mine is some type of makers mark. It also looks home made or made in a small shop in any case.

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 04:35:57 PM »
No apologies necessary, I'm happy to hear about this personal family history. Thanks for the additional info and pics of weapons and family  thumb1

The handle on your family bolo is definitely a similar shape to the one I have. I would guess the pair of long and short marks on mine is some type of makers mark. It also looks home made or made in a small shop in any case.

Yes the two are very similar in construction. I would say yours is Filipino made. The shank on mine is stamped "RV" in the same place as your marks. The strap for the sheath has long eroded away. PAX
  You need a crew  

Online Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2023, 06:22:23 PM »
Big fan of this one, P32.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023, 07:53:39 PM »
Big fan of this one, P32.

Thanks Bob!  :)

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 08:58:13 AM »
Nice Type 44 my man... this thread was interesting for sure.  Thats one that I have not picked up yet in my searches.  Thanks for sharing every one!