Author Topic: Reichsrevolver M1883  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Reichsrevolver M1883
« on: May 29, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »
Since we haven't had much activity in the "Show and Tell" as of late, I thought I'd kick one in wink1.  This is an M1883 Reichs Commission Revolver made in 1894 at Erfurt.  It fires the 10.6x25r Commission Cartridge, though the casing and diameter (.430) of the .44 Russian work perfectly.   Each round I load is 21gr (by weight) of black powder with a 230gr LRN Bullet.  Just as I've done with my cap and ball revolvers, I've treated the pistol with Bore Butter which helps with the fouling and preserves the finish.  The holster is original, though I generally keep it in a reproduction holster.  She shoots pretty well. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Reichsrevolver M1883
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 03:00:30 PM »
Wow, that is a great old Erfurt smoker! Already 20 years old when WWI began! Love the paper-patched vintage cartridge.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 03:27:43 PM »
Thanks, Jon.  That's just lead oxidation on the bullet.  I've only got three of the original rounds.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 03:48:59 PM »
Beautiful gun and in great condition for being over 125 years old. I don't imagine there are tons of those still around. What would fair market value be for something like that? Just curious, if you don't mind sharing.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 04:31:16 PM »
Thanks, Jon.  That's just lead oxidation on the bullet.  I've only got three of the original rounds.

Ah, 100-130 years of exposure to oxygen will do that  :))

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 04:50:57 PM »
Very cool rig, Bruce. I'm not that up on revolvers that old... is it single action only?

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 08:48:43 PM »
Thanks 1mlt and BTS.  1mlt, I don't know what a set price would be.  Currently on GB there's just a pistol in a little bit worse condition finish wise than mine going at around $450.00.  The last time I saw a complete rig, pistol with a little better finish and a holster that was more worn than mine, the selling was for $900.00+. 
BTS, yes, it's single action only and oddly enough,  that over on the left hand side is a safety.  Most gun sites on YouTube lambast the pistol, but i find it not that bad to shoot.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 12:15:38 AM »
Nice and awesome piece.. and I love black powder.  thumb1

Just curious why the lambasting you speak of... think1  Is it cause it's not plastic, have a magazine and high capacity...   I have a few old S&Ws that were originally black powder rounds, the old .32 and .38 S&W rounds.... probably from about the same era..    little hard to hold, but fun to shoot..  yours seems like an easy caliber to construct ammo for, unlike many.... like .41 Swiss rimfire or 9×22mmR Japanese.. I have some old Swiss rimfire ammo with the same white lead oxidation..

Awesome piece.  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 08:46:02 AM »
Thanks, GM.  The main reasons they were denigrating it was that they thought the design was obsolete even for that time period.  A lot of designs by that time were incorporating easier loading (the cylinder is free wheeling while loading, not indexing), there is no provision for case removal, and some of its contemporaries even had double action.  They also said the grips were poorly designed and questioned (and I'll agree here) the safety.
1mlt The one I was looking at for $450.00 closed at $910.00, so that should give you an idea of market.