Author Topic: Norinco SKS 556 super rare vid  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Cctvman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Norinco SKS 556 super rare vid
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:07:57 PM »
The 556 SKS version is pretty cool!  What you all think?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 11:22:38 AM by Cctvman »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: Norinco SKS 556 super rare vid
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:21:27 PM »
So Sasquatch is real after all?  :o  I'd seen the one grainy pic that everyone has seen referenced as the "proof" of the 5.56 SKS, but it was always just rumors and maybes. This seems to nail it down pretty good. At least it gives a lot more credence to the story than has been known before.

Don't 'ya wish you'd have gotten one of those prototypes?  thumb1  :P 

Kudos to the OP for posting this!

firstchoice

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 09:47:27 PM »
Cool variation. Thanks for sharing. So it has Century Arms after the Norinco stamp. I assume that’s the Canadian branch of the company and that this example is in Canada, right?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 11:42:52 PM »
Now that's a 5.56/.223 chambered rifle I could sink my teeth into. Or my wallet anyway. Dang that Clinton guy!! >:( bat1 rofl2
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 04:36:55 AM »
I'm curious if it was reliable in feeding the 5.56 ammo from what looks like modified Chinese 5.56 AK mags, probably from the 84S AK series of rifles? The 84S' fed reliably as long as you used the Chinese mags made for them.

I'd have loved to pick up one of the prototypes for the rarity and probable wad of cash it would now bring. But I'll stay with the 7.62x39 for favored round of the SKS. Just my own personal preference, though.

The video was uploaded Nov 10, 2021 by a "Canadian Caliber", so I'm guessing you're right about it possibly being a Canadian unicorn, Phos32.

At 2:17 of the video, the SN has a blurred-out area just left of the Serial Number. Curious if it's a number or letter prefix to the Serial Number?  (like 89, 90, 91, etc.) I wonder why they'd blur that out?  It looks like some scrubbed numbers can be seen below the "SKS" on the receiver. It definitely looks like it was marked at the arsenal in China. But it also looks like a scrubbed gun. I suppose they may have used a new SKS-30 receiver and did the caliber conversion and 5.56 barrel around the 1988 time frame that so many other "options" were being developed. As usual when it comes to the SKS, lots of questions.    thumb1

firstchoice

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 09:25:38 AM »
very cool, thanks for sharing.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 10:05:32 AM »
Cool variation. Thanks for sharing. So it has Century Arms after the Norinco stamp. I assume that’s the Canadian branch of the company and that this example is in Canada, right?

Is this one Canadian?  That magazine wasn’t pinned externally if so.  If it is, I would guess this gun was an American import that then found its way to Canada or it was destined for the American market when the rug was pulled out in ‘94 and then diverted to Canada. Import stamps in this format are simply not seen on native canadian imports until much later.

The crazy low S/N (sans prefix) may indicate this was a small group of prototypes that made it in which would explain why they are never seen except in grainy photos and videos, just like the Bigfoot references made above!

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 12:07:55 PM »
IF/IF the 5.56 variant would've been mass produced and as available as the Type 56 is today in the U.S. from '94 thru today - head to head, e.g. reliability, accuracy (recoil, return to target), range, stripper vs detachable mag, & anything else or feature that you can think of in the 'desirability' &/or 'utility'of the Type 56 frame - How well would the 5.56 (or .223 for that matter) variant stack up against the Type 56 in terms of desirability and/or sales?

P.s. I'm lovin' my M4, but it ain't an SKS!
   a) Outperform
   b) About the same
   c) Lag behind

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 03:03:16 PM »
IF/IF the 5.56 variant would've been mass produced and as available as the Type 56 is today in the U.S. from '94 thru today - head to head, e.g. reliability, accuracy (recoil, return to target), range, stripper vs detachable mag, & anything else or feature that you can think of in the 'desirability' &/or 'utility'of the Type 56 frame - How well would the 5.56 (or .223 for that matter) variant stack up against the Type 56 in terms of desirability and/or sales?

P.s. I'm lovin' my M4, but it ain't an SKS!
   a) Outperform
   b) About the same
   c) Lag behind

a) Outperform

I think it would have been something where every person who bought an SKS in x39 would buy one in 5.56/.223 and I think anyone who has an AR would consider one based on having the variant in the same caliber. I also think it would have kept AR prices down during peak pricing times (panic seasons) due to potentially giving people the option of a fixed mag semi that would fly under the radar of the anti-detachable mag peeps.
I know, for me, I would not have considered an AR if this would have been available.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 12:01:12 AM »
awsome vid... thanks for sharing.

Offline Weldrdave

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 04:44:10 PM »
Here's alittle Chinese sks 556 for ya all :)

Holy S#!T.  Although, I do have a SAR3 so having one of them would just be a bonus!!!  :)
USN/USCG (retired) Chief.
God created man; Sam Colt made them equal!

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 10:27:06 PM »
I had no idea that any were made in 556. Thanks for the post.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 07:53:11 PM »
These were the two pics I had seen as "proof" of a 5.56 SKS in the years past. It could be a mock-up or a one-off that somebody cobbled together. With the strange gas tube and using both an Arsenal 5.56 waffle polymer mag, (inserted), and the German Weiger SAR-3 5.56 steel mag, (laying next to the rifle), it's hard to say whether or not it was a "factory" job. Not to mention the use of the resin stock. My guess is that it was a "project" model rather than the ones in the OP's video.

*Edit: Reason for edit: I must have been asleep when I wrote the post.  :-[   ???  .556? Really?
 chuckles1  Them be some small diameter boolits!  chuckles1 

firstchoice
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 06:41:35 PM by firstchoice »