Author Topic: BETA ARMS SKS-30  (Read 1451 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
BETA ARMS SKS-30
« on: July 29, 2021, 01:54:30 AM »
As promised, I'm finally getting the pics posted of my Gunbroker purchase back in May. My new computer is still sitting in the box but I think I can get this done with my old stand by.

Per the Auctions section OP,

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=6001.0

I was able to pick up what turned out to be a very nice BETA ARMS SKS-30, (formerly known to many as the SKS-D), for a decent sale price in this day and time. Here's what it looked like in the Gunbroker ad:

When it arrived, I took a full spread of pictures of how it looked and those pics have disappeared! No idea what happened there. I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Every part inspected. I separated the aftermarket parts from the original parts and this is what I was left with:

I'm not seeing much wear on anything. I did find a little black soot on the gas piston so it has been fired. Everything is in VG+ condition as far as I can tell.

I was dreading removing the handguard because of all the horror stories I'd heard about the job. This one was so easy! The pin was in snug but came out without any issue and I used the same pin to go back together. It went in snug and looks great. The original owner had done a perfect job in replacing the handguard with the black plastic model. No filing on the ferrule, no deformation, nothing! I couldn't have been happier!  thumb1  It doesn't look like it's ever been apart!

Guys, I tried to rotate the pics so they would be correct to look at but the Photobucket Image Editor would not work for me. I tried over and over but I couldn't get it to cooperate. So, it is what it is...

The only things missing were the cleaning rod, a magazine, and the rivet for the bayonet. If I remember correctly, I bought that new rivet from PAX a long time ago, just because I wanted it for that "one that might need a rivet, someday". Well, someday came!  thumb1 chuckles1  I had everything already, so nothing else had to be purchased. The magazines that came with it were obviously duckbills, and they were brand new, never inserted in any SKS. Here are the parts left over:

If anyone has any uses for the leftover parts, contact me and we can decide on prices.

I don't know who made the mags. They have the nice green followers in them and construction looks quality. Welds are much better than most duckbill aftermarket mags that I've seen.

Same with the stock, I don't know the manufacturer name. I think GG suggested it was an ATI? It's all in VG+ condition. No scratches or worn areas that I've found or noticed.

After the cleaning and gawking, all that was left to do was reassemble it to it's original glory:

I chose the Hungarian 20rd mags as my favorite, just because they look best, IMO. They work well at the range and lock in easily. Some folks call them the "Tanker" mags.

I have a variety of AK magazines to use in it:

5 and 10 round mags from China, Hungary, Bulgaria, etc...

Standard 30rd Chinese flat back mags, (upper right hand in bags) and PolyTech 30rd with the chrome followers:

Any of the AK mags will work in this but I've found what I want to use for now.

This one fits in nicely with the other two that are still NIB. Actually, it's kinda crowded. But still, three's not THAT much of a crowd!  dance2

For those with sharp eyes, yes, the top one is sitting there without the trigger group in. I took it out to make a pictoral of a NIB model but I don't want to put it back in until I finish completely. I'm very particular about my safe queens.  thankyou1  chuckles1

It's interesting how different the stock finishes are from each other even though they're not that far off in serial numbers. (03512, 03792, and 04450)

I also noticed that the new one (03512) had the Stripper Clip slot in the Bolt Carrier, the (03792) has it too, but the (04450) has the newer Bolt Carrier with no slot.

Just to clarify, All parts that were serial numbered from the factory, MATCH.

The only thing that I haven't put on the rifle to return it to it's original configuration is the sling. I'm thinking that I have one, NOS. I just have to dig around and find those boxes to sort through. I also have a Chinese Type 63 Chest Rig that I'm hoping the Hungarian 20rd mags will fit into.  That should round out the goodies for the rifle.

I took a lot of pics (80+) but I didn't want this to be a huge post. I just wanted to finally share my acquisition with the board.

I think it looks much better in it's original form. What say you guys?

firstchoice

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:44:58 AM by firstchoice »

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: BETA ARMS SKS-30
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 08:57:40 AM »
Nice find, FC.  Glad you were able to get it.  Thanks for the pictures!!!  thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 09:12:53 AM »
enjoyed the pics, thanks for taking the time for sharing. that is a nice one.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 10:36:34 AM »
Now that is just not fair! Just kidding, very nice find.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 12:36:53 PM »
Well, if I had to lose out on it to someone I'm glad it was you FC. Looks even better restored back to OEM.  thumb1
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 12:58:13 PM »
Nice photo spread. Looks great!  thumb1

I really like the Hungarian 20 rounders too!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 01:20:27 PM »
Top notch FC, that one looks great!!!

To your knowledge, is there any correlation of S/N to the stripper clip guide / no guide bolt carriers? 

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 09:09:29 AM »
Nice find, FC.  Glad you were able to get it.  Thanks for the pictures!!!  thumb1

Thanks Bruce! I fumble through picture taking. Someday it will come to me, hopefully. Members here can take some really nice photos of their firearms!

enjoyed the pics, thanks for taking the time for sharing. that is a nice one.

Thanks Carl! I've learned it takes time to put a photo spread together. Especially with an ancient desktop like I'm using! I think I bought this desktop in 2005-2006. It was when Windows Vista Home Premium first came out. They don't send any more Windows Updates, no more Security Updates, and many websites simply won't accept the old browsers I use because I can't upgrade to the newest versions of browsers due to the old Windows Vista OPSYS. About two weeks ago, I bought a new HP Desktop with the AMD Ryzen 5 4600G Processor, 12GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM memory, and 1 TB Hard Drive. The Operating System is the Windows 10 Home and I'll get the free upgrade to Windows 11 when it comes out this fall.  It's not a Gamer set-up but it should be all I need.

Now that is just not fair! Just kidding, very nice find.

Thanks Lowell! I have to remember to truly appreciate having them. If I hadn't picked them up way-back-when, I'd just be looking for pictures or sauntering through the gun shows, er, museums (disguised as gun shows) to get a look.  drool2 drool2

Well, if I had to lose out on it to someone I'm glad it was you FC. Looks even better restored back to OEM.  thumb1

Thanks GG! I was really pleased that it was in such good shape even after being bubba'd. And amazed about how it looked after returning it to it's original commercial configuration. I completely understand why it's considered a Commercial gun. But it's the least commercialized of all the SKS commercial rifles, IMO.  It's not a refurbed SKS, having a completely new receiver, & parts, (some of which may be NOS parts, but still new, nonetheless.)

Nice photo spread. Looks great!  thumb1

I really like the Hungarian 20 rounders too!

Thanks Phos32! I study your photo spreads because you and others here do a great job with pics!

I've always liked the Hungarian 20rd mags. I never understood why other ComBloc countries didn't follow suite and make 20rd steel mags, too. (I know about the Korean mags but I'm talking the quality surplus mags.) I picked up some of the black Hungarian 4 cell pouches with mags, mag covers, buttstock cleaning kit, and the Hungarian oil bottle/solvent bottle combo-in-a-tray. And I picked up some of the Hungarian 5 cell "pumpkin-colored" pouches with mags, etc. I wish I had picked up a lot more than I did.

I was lucky enough to get NOS or "as-new" Hungarian 20rd mags. Some came with a parkerized finish, and others with more of a semi-gloss to semi-flat black painted finish. The painted finish is what is pictured with the rifle.

I have some of the 20rd Type 63 mags that have to have the locking tang narrowed down to use in a Type 56 AKM or the AK-magazine to SKS conversions. I'm seriously doubting I'll ever pick up one of the very few legal Type 63's in country. So I might as well utilize the mags and this would be an excellent utilization of them, I think!  I have several types:

These Type 63 20rd mags are shorter than the Hungarian 20rd steel mags (Tankers). The Hungarian 20rd is on bottom.

Got this set of Christmas ornaments from China some years back.  ;)  ;)   :)

Top notch FC, that one looks great!!!

To your knowledge, is there any correlation of S/N to the stripper clip guide / no guide bolt carriers?

Thanks RM! I think it's a keeper!

I remember talks with Joe Hersey (xxxsks) and his assessment via data studies. He felt that the arsenal started out using up the supplies they had of the Bolt Carriers with the stripper clip slot and then transitioned to the new, non-slotted BC about halfway through the run. We'd have to pool all the SN's of the BETA ARMS and even the China Sports SKS-30's to get a closer idea of where we see the transition. I think I've only seen one or two DIG Import SKS-30's since I started paying attention 30 years ago. I know they're out there. I just don't know how many.  Guestimate-wise, how many SKS-30's of all three importers do you have data on? (fundamentally the BC type, Importer name, and SN data on each SKS-30?) I think I have data on 15-20 of them, many of which may be on your list as well. I'd be happy to draw out the data if I can get to it. And anyone else that has the stats on any SKS-30's, whether it be yours, or a friend, or an internet find. As long as there are clear pics of the required data points for positive verification.

firstchoice