Author Topic: battle damage Gewehr 88  (Read 4154 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: battle damage Gewehr 88
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 12:49:14 PM »
Definitely a cool one  8) The bullet perforated the jacket and barrel on both sides. That is quite remarkable. Bad day for the rifle, but possibly a lucky day for the owner if the rifle took the worst of it.

The only thing similar I have is the stock of a MAS 36 that probably encountered "Front Toward Enemy" side of a Claymore while in VC/NVA hands.

I'm amazed that those swabs shot through the butt stock like that!  :o whistle12

rofl  Hey, I'll have you know that those specialized firearms ballistics forensics tools cost a fortune (okay, they're just cotton swabs and they didn't cost much, but other than that I'm sticking to my story)

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »
im thinking someone didnt recover from that one , thats allot of damage
there was really no damage , just some small deeply embedded shards of metal  , i was afraid if i pulled them they would blow the wood out because i managed to get a pair of pliers on one piece and it wasnt going to come easy so i didnt press the issue , it was easier to flush them in , i got a couple nasty cuts from them , you dont handle a wall hanger allot so i would forget about the shards and next thing you know i was leaking
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 01:54:53 PM »
those are pretty awsome monkey man
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
Another...  from the other side of the world, a Mum'ed Type 99 Arisaka, not of damage persay.... but of the damage it could have possibly inflicted. In sunlight it has small flecks of metal embedded in the wood/finish.

The groove where the bolt seats, your fingernails follow when you cycle the bolt, so someone needing a manicure badly shot alot of rounds through it.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »
i just realized i have never owned one of those  , whats a last ditch scrubbed mum example go for these days , missing the aircraft sights

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 02:38:55 PM »
Another...  from the other side of the world, a Mum'ed Type 99 Arisaka, not of damage persay.... but of the damage it could have possibly inflicted. In sunlight it has small flecks of metal embedded in the wood/finish.

The groove where the bolt seats, your fingernails follow when you cycle the bolt, so someone needing a manicure badly shot alot of rounds through it.

Cool. That explanation of the groove never would have occurred to me but sounds plausible.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2021, 02:41:55 PM »
i just realized i have never owned one of those  , whats a last ditch scrubbed mum example go for these days , missing the aircraft sights

Around $300-400. You might luck out and find a late production Type 99 for $200-300. I think the late production ones are cool but they bring less. It's funny, because late production K98k rifles often bring a premium...collector psychology  rofl

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2021, 03:37:55 PM »
thanks , yea i was thinking the same thing about the K98 thing  , so mum in tact adds allot of value or nominal value

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »
thanks , yea i was thinking the same thing about the K98 thing  , so mum in tact adds allot of value or nominal value
With an intact Chrysanthemum, multiply by 1.5 to 1.75

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2021, 04:39:36 PM »
think i will just stay in my lane , but its nice to have an idea if one pops up unexpected ,thanks for letting me pick your brain again

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2021, 04:44:37 PM »
think i will just stay in my lane , but its nice to have an idea if one pops up unexpected ,thanks for letting me pick your brain again

thumb1

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »
Had a couple of guys in my unit find a pistol still attached to the owner in Lebanon.  Bad JuJu happened to whoever possessed the pistol from then on.  One caught a fatal round while there, another serious injuries.  The last had an accident that blew off his left hand a few years later.  The pistol disappeared after that and was not missed.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
oh sure , go ahead and jinx us ,lol, just mess'n

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 09:54:37 PM »
 :) :) :) wink1

Offline larm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2023, 05:27:36 AM »
i got these 2 rifles that have these marks in them,

i enjoy shooting the down and dirty surplus rifles,

i wonder... where , when and who has fired it .....kinda like if the rifle could talk...lol