Author Topic: Colt Brings Back The Python  (Read 2577 times)

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
Colt Brings Back The Python
« on: January 06, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »
I am sure most of you are aware that Colt is bringing back the python in 4 1/4" and 6" in stainless finish for an msrp of $1499.  According to noted firearms trainer Ken Hackathorn who has had the ability to shoot the new python at the range, he finds it a much better python than the pythons of years past and he would buy it before he would buy one of the ones from years past. Good video of his outing shooting the new python with detailed review from him on it.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Colt Brings Back The Python
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 03:08:39 PM »
That is cool that they brought it back and it will sell for less than the current (or at least yesterday's) going rate on the old ones  thumb1 Apparently there was one of the new Pythons that made an appearance at my LGS, but it sold before it was put in the case, so I didn't get to see it  bat1

I think I'll stick with my Ruger Redhawk 7.5" that I got for $900 less than the Python MSRP when I need my 44 mag fix  ;)

I mean, I know the Python is a Colt, but yike$  :))

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 03:34:25 PM »
That is cool that they brought it back and it will sell for less than the current (or at least yesterday's) going rate on the old ones  thumb1 Apparently there was one of the new Pythons that made an appearance at my LGS, but it sold before it was put in the case, so I didn't get to see it  bat1

I think I'll stick with my Ruger Redhawk 7.5" that I got for $900 less than the Python MSRP when I need my 44 mag fix  ;)

I hear you.  It seems like it is cultural "pressure" to own a Colt python regardless of the cost.  Sometimes things just dont make sense.  Kind of like why be driving a Kia when you could be driving a cadilac when one has the money to own either one. 

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
I'll stick with my New Service and '43 Commando.

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 03:54:27 PM »
Another video of the new Colt python.  Saving my coins!   ;)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 04:01:17 PM »
I'll stick with my pre-lock Smith.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 07:04:11 PM »
No... No cultural pressure at all...  More of an S&W fan.. love my old 8 3/8 inch Model 29 and my S&W 657... And of course.. the 'ol Desert Eagle I own.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 09:56:20 PM »

I hear you.  It seems like it is cultural "pressure" to own a Colt python regardless of the cost.  Sometimes things just dont make sense.  Kind of like why be driving a Kia when you could be driving a cadilac when one has the money to own either one.

Yeah, and I’m not putting down the Python or Colt, nor do I even have a problem with the price. If Colt can charge that much and sell whatever they make they’d be poor students of capitalism if they didn’t charge the $1500.

If I were a major Colt or revolver fan I’d probably fork out the dough, but I’m not. Again I don’t dislike them, it’s just that I’m not passionate enough about Colts or revolvers to buy the Cadillac  :))

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 02:49:58 AM »
Pythons are really nice.
There used to be lots of them around. Had I known that old highway patrol guns would be worth a small fortune, I'd have bough up a few trade in guns.
The only thing I don't like about them is the cylinder release. I think Smith got that one right.
Other than that, I think they're about equal for my purposes.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline ArkSlim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 06:19:39 AM »
IMO You are paying 3/4th for the colt name and the remander for the gun "any Colt". I feel that Ruger is a much better deal as well as Smith's.

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 07:58:12 AM »
I have no arguement with any of you guys opinions.  S&W and Ruger makes some nice and reliable wheel guns for more reasonable prices than what the Colt python is priced at.  I have owned a S&W 19 and fired a Ruger Service Six many times and was not dissappointed with either.  It would be nice to own the Python though if it were not for its price.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 12:02:32 PM »
I have no arguement with any of you guys opinions.  S&W and Ruger makes some nice and reliable wheel guns for more reasonable prices than what the Colt python is priced at.  I have owned a S&W 19 and fired a Ruger Service Six many times and was not dissappointed with either.  It would be nice to own the Python though if it were not for its price.

The price is just killer for what you get.. $1500ish typically is a hard pill to swallow for a .357 magnum. In .357, I have a older Colt Trooper mid '60s vintage, which is an economy Python and a Dan Wesson Model 15. Over the years, I have enjoyed the Colt.. until I laid my mitts on the Dan Wesson, there was a world of difference in balance and control between the two, especially as one goes up in the power levels in ammo.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem