Author Topic: SKS AK mags?  (Read 2691 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
SKS AK mags?
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:24:15 PM »
Hi Fellas,

Are the AK mags for SKSs single stack? Thanks, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: SKS AK mags?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 05:40:41 PM »
My Type 84 uses a slightly modified AK double stack and my SKS NR uses a regular double stack AK magazine.

There aren't many rifles that take single stack mags, a WASR was probably the most common, I've seen a FEG Sporter single stack, maybe a few others. Also, as far as I know the single/double stack is not compatible with each other without some type of conversion.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »
I was curious as I've scored on a few single stack 10s (Kali). I've only seen pictures of SKS/AK magged rifles, and can't tell. I've never even fondled an AK. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 01:05:00 AM »
All variants of the  Chinese AK-magazine-conversion SKS use double stack magazines. The WASR's (AK's) used single stack 5 and 10 rd. mags., at least until a bunch were reworked to use the double stack mags. (after the AWBan expired?) I don't remember the exact time or reason they were able to rework the WASR's to use double stack mags?  But, they did.  :)

Is it the 10/63's that didn't have the dimples for mag wobble and usually had the burrs inside the mag wells from being opened up to use the double stack magazines? I owned a couple of the 10/63's but it's been a while.  I'll dig out some old pics...

The boxes were marked WASR 10/63.

But this example, from that box, was still marked WASR 10, didn't have the dimples, and was milled out to use the double stack mags.

I'll take some pics of my SAR-1's and SAR-2's to show the dimples and other differences.

firstchoice
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:10:48 AM by firstchoice »

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
There were also some milled Arsenal Bulgarians, Yugo Npaps and the Hungarian SA-2000 that used single stack magazines.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 03:21:37 AM »
Well that would explain why they sat in the LGS junk bin for over a year. The LGS was rolling up his tent calling it quits, and I picked up a mess of stuff I don't need for dirt  ;) PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 02:17:30 AM »
I was curious as I've scored on a few single stack 10s (Kali). I've only seen pictures of SKS/AK magged rifles, and can't tell. I've never even fondled an AK. PAX

:o  cry1  Besplode  The horror. The horror.  Living in a free state has some great perks, PAX:) thumb1

firstchoice

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 03:50:49 AM »

:o  cry1  Besplode  The horror. The horror.  Living in a free state has some great perks, PAX:) thumb1

Yes this is true, but AKs & ARs just don't do anything for me. I only have 1 AR, and it's not even a real one. NFA lower & STOA 5.56 upper. I'd trade it in a heart beat for the right SKS. PAX

firstchoice
  You need a crew