Author Topic: Bolt actions in x39 and their mag setups.  (Read 449 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Bolt actions in x39 and their mag setups.
« on: November 25, 2022, 11:35:57 AM »
So, I was thinking about this today as I am, once again, looking for a bolt action in 7.62x39. I had a used Ruger American Ranch that seemed to work well, but ended up giving it to my Son-in-law and bought a new one. The new one would not cycle rounds, they were all binding up. I didn't feel like messing with it so I sold it. I have been looking at trying a Howa 1500 which got me thinking about different brands and their proprietary mags.

If they make bolt action rifles to take AR mags of various calibers why don't they make one to take AK mags. All the offerings that have detachable mags in 7.62x39 use proprietary mags. Heck even if Ruger, CZ-USA, or Howa used AR mags for x39 it would make it more 'industry standardized'. Do they really feel they would lose that much in sales on accessories that way or did their engineers simple not think of it?
On Ruger's part, if they would have made the Ranch in x39 to take AR mags for the x39 round as well they would have reduced the stock design differences and cost as it would have made the the mag-well and release setup relief cut areas the same.

Anyway, just my thoughts as I sip on my morning cup of coffee. 
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Bolt actions in x39 and their mag setups.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 01:25:56 PM »
I agree that it would be cool to have a bolt action rifle that is AK magazine compatible.

I suppose whenever a manufacturer decides to do a magazine cross compatibility design, they run the risk that someone’s cheap magazine won’t run right in their firearm and then ensuing customer complaints over something that they have no control over. There’s a lot of variability in AK magazines, so that may be an issue. I suppose the other consideration is that most AK magazines are 30 rounds and that many bolt action rifle owners don’t want a big 30 round magazine, protruding from the magazine well on their bolt action rifle.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Bolt actions in x39 and their mag setups.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 02:42:49 PM »
It would be a good use for the 10 round single stack WASR mags from the Clinton era though. :)

But yeah, variation in AK mag quality and fit could be an issue
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.