Author Topic: 12th year reciever or a five digit "V" letter gun?  (Read 3424 times)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
12th year reciever or a five digit "V" letter gun?
« on: July 22, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
This one popped up on akfiles today.

I had originally thought it was a 12th year (receiver) with other parts stamped to match. But another poster suggested that the receiver may have been re-stamped to match the remnants of a receiver-less letter rifle.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4144262&posted=1#post4144262

(rhetorically) Any thoughts?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: 12th year reciever or a five digit "V" letter gun?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
I would have to say the receiver is a replacement.  I can't tell 100% if a used/scrubbed receiver was used, or a new one. My guess would be a scrubbed unit was used based on the squared line edges of the front section. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »
You can quote that over there if you want.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
Oh, boy...

These kinds of examples could complicate the C&R status on a lot of rifles.

Thanks, LC.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
Replacing a receiver wouldn't be unheard of...  I have one with the rails snapped off.   :o

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »
I can tell you that receiver is 100%, without a doubt, scrubbed. It's plain as day.

The 5 digit serial on the receiver does not surprise me. As a matter of fact, the gun I used for my SKavor project, was also a scrubbed 5 digit gun.

What does baffle me, is the rest of the serialed parts. The V is odd enough, but the 5 number digits are also odd. They are made up of different fonts. The "v" the "1" and the "7", are early chinese font...like you'd expect on that year of SKS. The "22" is a different font. But they look like they were all stamped at the same time. And there is no signs of scrubbing on the magazine, receiver cover, or trigger group. The bolt carrier is definitely scrubbed, and also has completely different font from the rest of the gun.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
Not sure about fonts, but being obviously heavily reworked....  Expect anything. 

I happen to have an original matching 5 digit V.