Author Topic: K Sports SKS?  (Read 9190 times)

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
K Sports SKS?
« on: May 25, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »
Am I correct on this Chinese SKS being from KSports?  Picked it up locally about a year or so ago.  Has the neutered bayonet lug, 20" barrel, long barrel shank, East Coast rail (rail to nowhere).  All numbers match except for the gas tube and gas piston.  On right side of reciever it states "SKS 7.62x39 Made in China By Norinco KSI Pomona CA".

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: K Sports SKS?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »
Yup, that is what we call a K-Sports Hunter (not to be confused with a K-Sports Para Hunter, or a K-Sports Composite, Parka Para, or Stealth Para). See http://chinesesks.weebly.com/k-sports-wood-stocked-custom-rifles.html

The rail is commonly called a "West Coast Rail", I've never heard of the east appropriating it (nor would they want to for the lack of mounts that fit it!  chuckles1

KSI is the K-Sports Inc. import stamp.  See entries #84 through #89 for the various K-Sports stamps I've collected over the years and additonal information on the JPE origin of the company. http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2111.0  Your stamp looks much like #88 to me.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »
Yep, RM nailed it. Nice example too. You don't see the full length versions as often as the para hunters.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »
Yup, that is what we call a K-Sports Hunter (not to be confused with a K-Sports Para Hunter, or a K-Sports Composite, Parka Para, or Stealth Para). See http://chinesesks.weebly.com/k-sports-wood-stocked-custom-rifles.html

The rail is commonly called a "West Coast Rail", I've never heard of the east appropriating it (nor would they want to for the lack of mounts that fit it!  chuckles1

KSI is the K-Sports Inc. import stamp.  See entries #84 through #89 for the various K-Sports stamps I've collected over the years and additonal information on the JPE origin of the company. http://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=2111.0  Your stamp looks much like #88 to me.

doh1
Yep, my mistake.  I meant to say West Coast rail and not East Coast rail.  The way the day is going for me so far, I dont believe I would be able to find my rearend even if I tried to with both hands!   :(

And I agree, #88 looks like a spitting image of the stamping on the one I have.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:44:44 PM by spongemonkey »

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »
It's academic, now.  You'll have to hunt white tail or gators with you KSI Hunter.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 08:27:56 PM »
It's academic, now.  You'll have to hunt white tail or gators with you KSI Hunter.

Nope, not going to hunt anything with it.  May not even ever fire it.  If I were to hunt anything with any of my SKS rifles, it would be my Chinese "ghost" mixmaster.  Dead reliable, and accurate as all get out within reasonable distances with open sights.  May even wind up selling this K Sports SKS as I have way too many SKS rifles that I will probably never get around to enjoy by firing them.  The person that owned it before said he had fired it many times and that he never had an issue with it. 

PS:  On the menu for this weekend, Sunday evening is bar b qued rabbit, beef, pork sausage, stuffed jalapeno peppers, rice dressing, and other good eats after the Indy 500!  Then after that, we going to sit back and enjoy the Coca Cola 600.  Its a family tradition around my area!

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »
Decided that I am going to sell this one.  See my post in the for sale/trader section please.