Author Topic: Gas tube latch  (Read 742 times)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Gas tube latch
« on: March 30, 2021, 01:49:56 PM »
I found one of these for sale the other day....and after waiting for someone with a more dire need for a couple of days, caved and bought it.
It has been removed from the sight block, appears to have been un-peened...and ready to install.

My DB has always had a crummy worn down latch, to the point it is virtually impossible to remove the tube without either launching the op rod, or get hung up on the way out or back in.  The DB also has a number of cast parts....including the sight block, which sports a very unusual sight leaf, more like an AK leaf, but crudely staggered adjustment steps that alter between each side rather than there being uniform steps for both sides....it was serialed to the wacky gun...and I have removed t before, so not super worried about it...but I am kind of worried about both removing the existing latch...and then the amount of force required to repeen the 'new' one.

Has anyone ever replaced one of these things?  I understand the use of a large ball bearing for doing the peening part...but the method of doing so is where I am concerned....hit with hammer? squeeze with a vise? Find a gunsmith and just pay the piper vs cavalier home gunsmithing?  How also to remove the existing one the least destructive way possible?  With a punch?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Gas tube latch
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »
Removal with a punch small enough to slide inside the peening on the left side so when driving the peened area will be forced straight. Key will be supporting both sides of the block properly for maximum stability with minimal markings on the block. Thinking vise and the ball bearing as it will have less of an adverse effect on the lever side. Might even use a thinner piece of hardwood to alleviate the marking up of the lever side while in the vise.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Gas tube latch
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 06:57:18 PM »
Definitely a vise or c-clamp if you don't have a vise.  GG's suggestion of a wood block on the lever side is a good one.  Try not to deform/bend the lever though, they are hard, brittle and have been known to crack if you put pressure on them unevenly.