Author Topic: Heavy Refurb with 565mm Barrel  (Read 8285 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Heavy Refurb with 565mm Barrel
« on: April 10, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
Dan's Ammo came through again. Not long ago, I asked him if he had anything interesting. When the email inquiry from Dan about this rifle came through last week, it didn't take long for the AMEX to fly out of my wallet  :)) THANKS DAN! :)  thumb1

Heavily refurbished C-block long barrel with an M59/66 bayonet. No "experimental" front sight. A lot of electropenciled serial numbers. Neither the magazine nor receiver cover have a serial number at all. Regardless, it's a beautiful SKS and I'm pleased to have one of these rare later serial number variants.

Indexing numbers and alignment mark

Front sight comparison: SN 021 (left) with the experimental front sight.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Heavy Refurb with 565mm Barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 07:13:05 PM »
Gorgeous!

I wonder how it got that barrel?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »
Gorgeous!

I wonder how it got that barrel?

Ay, that's the question. There are only two other M59 long barrels with late serial numbers that are 44K and 50K.  I don't recall seeing pictures of them, so I don't know if they were long barrels pulled off of original M59-LBs with damaged receivers, or were spare long barrels that were "found" and screwed on to regular production C block M59 receivers.

The matching index numbers, index/registration mark, and matching brown patina spots suggest the receiver and barrel have been mated to one another for a long time on mine, possibly since this SKS was first assembled.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 07:41:52 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 12:42:23 AM »
Heck of a pickup Jon.  What's that, three LB's for you now?  :o

I don't have a very extensive library of Yugos, but here's the closest S/N'd gun I could find: C37026.

Close number, same 2015 import batch, similar bottom lug markings, standard length barrel, proper bayo collar & latch.  think1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 12:46:00 AM »
Ay, that's the question. There are only two other M59 long barrels with late serial numbers that are 44K and 50K.  I don't recall seeing pictures of them, so I don't know if they were long barrels pulled off of original M59-LBs with damaged receivers, or were spare long barrels that were "found" and screwed on to regular production C block M59 receivers.

The matching index numbers, index/registration mark, and matching brown patina spots suggest the receiver and barrel have been mated to one another for a long time on mine, possibly since this SKS was first assembled.

Here's LB 50456 (notice no C block on it) for your viewing pleasure.  Not terribly much detail, but it's better than nothing right?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 04:00:34 AM »
Thanks Joe! Interesting specimen with the missing C prefix. Plum receiver. The font of the 6 on the receiver is really distinctive with that flat horizontal top line.

Those pictures really do a nice job at capturing the chrome-lined (sleeved) barrel.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »
Thanks Joe! Interesting specimen with the missing C prefix. Plum receiver. The font of the 6 on the receiver is really distinctive with that flat horizontal top line.

Those pictures really do a nice job at capturing the chrome-lined (sleeved) barrel.

Yes they sure do.  I forgot to mention that plum receiver...The difference between the receiver and barrel coloring leads me to believe the rifle probably didn't start out life looking like that. 

I think I erred when I said it's missing the "C" block nomenclature too.  50k should theoretically be in the "D" block, though I supposed we don't know where the exact transition happens.  The last C block I have photos for is C48388 and the first D block I have photos for is D59049 so no real help because it's such a huge spread there.  Glen Burton's data indicates the last C at 492xx and the first D at 5000x. 

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »

Yes they sure do.  I forgot to mention that plum receiver...The difference between the receiver and barrel coloring leads me to believe the rifle probably didn't start out life looking like that. 

I think I erred when I said it's missing the "C" block nomenclature too.  50k should theoretically be in the "D" block, though I suppose we don't know where the exact transition happens. The last C block I have photos for is C48388 and the first D block I have photos for is D59049 so no real help because it's such a huge spread there.  Glen Burton's data indicates the last C at 492xx and the first D at 5000x. 

Maybe that's why 50456 doesn't have the letter prefix. C's should be M59s and D's should be M59/66s, the serial number 50456 was available but the D letter was inappropriate. Just one possibility. It's interesting that the digits 456 look fairly well aligned with one another but the 50 looks like it's on a different line  think1

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:48:33 PM »
Talk about cornering the market.   rofl

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »
Talk about cornering the market.   rofl

didnt do I only have 10% of the recorded examples  :)

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 10:52:10 PM »
Did you add this one to the list?   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 03:59:21 AM »
Did you add this one to the list?

Yup, it’s a new one. I’m assuming it’s a relatively recent import, from PW Arms last batch of imports from the former Yugoslavia.

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »
I guess I haven't been paying attention very well.  This is the first time I have seen a long barrel outside of the initial block of numbers.

Exotic.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »
I guess I haven't been paying attention very well.  This is the first time I have seen a long barrel outside of the initial block of numbers.

Exotic.

Yes, there are just the three examples so far, including this one. None of these presumably later builds have the adjustable front sight.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »
Heck of a pickup Jon.  What's that, three LB's for you now?  :o

I don't have a very extensive library of Yugos, but here's the closest S/N'd gun I could find: C37026.

Close number, same 2015 import batch, similar bottom lug markings, standard length barrel, proper bayo collar & latch.  think1

Yes, three; I have 021, 040 and C-36439.

Thanks for the pics of C-37025. I have a standard M59 C-36111 on the other side that has the walnut or at least "not-elm"  :)) stock.

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 02:31:36 PM »
Phos thats a nice score !  :-* Especially these days. Looking at how nice the BBL lines up to the receiver near perfect seems almost impossible that a long bbl was added to the M59 shorty receiver. But check out the serial number on this guy in the middle 36478. These two could have easily been born on the same day ! I would have to say that the long BBL was an extra and was placed on a M59. No guarantees but this is very close being 39 numbers apart : ).. IDK but Nice score ! I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.. I call them all the time over there at Dans but they never pick up : )  This M59 36478 is one I got from them 2 summers ago along with the 36114 pictured also.. Your fence is holding up well and still looks great  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 02:37:26 PM »
I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.. I call them all the time over there at Dans but they never pick up : ) 

That hoarder....P32 has frequent purchase miles.. he has Dan's red courtesy express buying phone number..  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »
I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.. I call them all the time over there at Dans but they never pick up : ) 

That hoarder....P32 has frequent purchase miles.. he has Dan's red courtesy express buying phone number..  chuckles1

Yeah whats up with that ? Between you and him aint nobody got a chance around here. chuckles1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »

Yeah whats up with that ? Between you and him aint nobody got a chance around here. chuckles1

rofl  Well, yeah, I guess I am a frequent buyer, at least of Yugoslavian SKSs, five purchased from Dan's to date. But like I said, I think it was good timing on my email inquiry and Dan's acquisition of this LB. Whatever the reason, I'm humbly grateful :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »
Phos thats a nice score !  :-* Especially these days. Looking at how nice the BBL lines up to the receiver near perfect seems almost impossible that a long bbl was added to the M59 shorty receiver. But check out the serial number on this guy in the middle 36478. These two could have easily been born on the same day ! I would have to say that the long BBL was an extra and was placed on a M59. No guarantees but this is very close being 39 numbers apart : ).. IDK but Nice score ! I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.. I call them all the time over there at Dans but they never pick up : )  This M59 36478 is one I got from them 2 summers ago along with the 36114 pictured also.. Your fence is holding up well and still looks great  chuckles1

Sweet heptet of M59s you have there DC!  thumb1  8)

Yeah, clearly I lean toward it being added to the receiver during the original build. Likely a long barrel found in the stock of barrels that was added in the middle of the production of standard M59s by chance (most likely). Possible that the long barrel was intentionally picked out and added to this receiver for a specific purpose since lost to history.