Author Topic: '54 Izhevsk  (Read 4352 times)

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
'54 Izhevsk
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »
I took a few pictures of my '54 Izhevsk to demonstrate serial number configuration over on the Gunboards Forum.

Might as well post them here, too!  Serial has single Cyrillic prefix and single suffix.

Also note the 'dip line' on the gold bayonet.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: '54 Izhevsk
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:57:50 AM »
That’s an absolute beauty from the capital of the Udmurt Republic!  8) The stocks on original Izhevsks are some of my favorites. I’d never noticed that the “gold” bayonets had that indicator of dipping. My only example is on a ‘54 Tula but the coating is thin and/or worn. I’ll have to study it later.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 06:34:12 PM »
neat, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline sagesbrush

• Cadet
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 11:40:15 PM »
What does the O and R above the serial number stand for??

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 05:24:22 AM »

The importer transliterated the Cyrillic O and P to O and R. The ATF does not accept Cyrillic or any “non-standard” alphabet letters.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »
As a side note, this was only done by Century in the '92 to '96 series of Russian imports.  NHM, CDI, and KDI all assigned new S/N's such that they didn't have to translate the Cyrillic.  Of course the IO & TGI Russian 'sneaks' from the recent 2012-2016 Sino-banian import batch have neither a translation or a new S/N (in direct violation of ATF rules...but then again, them being Russian SKSs is already a violation of the Voluntary Restraint Agreement of '96 so which is worse? chuckles1thumb1

Offline sagesbrush

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
Thanks for all the great information. Your really helping my learning curve!!

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 11:37:49 PM »
Beautiful Russian Redskin Chief. Bout time you brought that soldier out for Coffee and a few pics. You should sell it to me before you realize what there worth these days  rofl2.. And thank your Senator for doing the right thing to Keep America Great ! I think She's your Senator.. That Warrior in the pics is one of my top 5 favorites. They just don't get any better : )

Offline jithaca

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 03:08:59 AM »
Sorry for he newbie question. Why do  the non-refurb rifles have the strip of matt finish, as compared to the top and bottom portions, on the receiver top cover? Initially I thought it had something to do with the making of the top cover, but I believe I noticed a picture of one of the Letter Rifles with no makings on the top cover that had the same matt strip in the middle of the cover.

Thanks

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
Sorry for he newbie question. Why do  the non-refurb rifles have the strip of matt finish, as compared to the top and bottom portions, on the receiver top cover? Initially I thought it had something to do with the making of the top cover, but I believe I noticed a picture of one of the Letter Rifles with no makings on the top cover that had the same matt strip in the middle of the cover.

Thanks

Its a common feature on the top covers, it doesn't seem specific to any one nation and can vary in size, the exception, some Yugoslavian SKSs at times don't show the stripe.. We believe it's due to a hardening process on the ends, and a refurb could scrub and reblue/BBQ paint and make it very faint, at least until some of the blueing wears off. From left to right...M59 Yugoslavian(almost non-existent), a random Chinese, Romanian and an Albanian(has a very faint stripe).

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 04:27:14 PM »
I had no idea that one member could have so many California compliant rifles in a gun friendly zone like West Virginia ! You better sent those to me and start collecting more of what West Virginians are capable of.. chuckles1.. Youll have to sent the Ammo to my FFL dealer though if you don't mind  bat1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
Hater's gonna hate huh, Correct Direction.. rofl2 That's West"ern" Virginia..... it's a whole whopping 30 miles for me to West byGod Virginia.

Just cause it's CA compliant....don't mean I wanna subject, traumatize and scare them with fires, mudslides, drought, earthquakes and Nancy Pelosi.  chuckles1

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 10:15:07 PM »
Hater's gonna hate huh, Correct Direction.. rofl2 That's West"ern" Virginia..... it's a whole whopping 30 miles for me to West byGod Virginia.

Just cause it's CA compliant....don't mean I wanna subject, traumatize and scare them with fires, mudslides, drought, earthquakes and Nancy Pelosi.  chuckles1

Don’t lie! Yeah you do!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »

Don’t lie! Yeah you do!

Whoa... There is a blast from the past.. the Worm is in da house.  :o

Online Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »

The importer transliterated the Cyrillic O and P to O and R. The ATF does not accept Cyrillic or any “non-standard” alphabet letters.

This is not frowned upon for value of gun for collectors? Or is this just understood to abide by the rules?

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 03:03:14 PM »

This is not frowned upon for value of gun for collectors? Or is this just understood to abide by the rules?

It's an annoyance, but not a ding on value to me because it's common to a lot/most of the Russians.

Offline GT_80

• Newber
  • Collector, shooter of many firearms
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
I can't offer anything towards the origin or data on the gun, But I really like it, and it looks terrific. I would be proud to own it :)
Hi, my name is James and I like guns and shooting. My other hobbies include restoring and using Vintage Sears Garden tractors, and working on cars, welding, tinkering around my house, etc.

Online Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 03:22:20 PM »
Oh, good lord I am not saying anything negative about that beauty. I'm just asking in general. Just FYI, so Martin don't cut me off from his wisdom. LOL