Author Topic: Spanish Mauser.. Should I?  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Adam7

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
Spanish Mauser.. Should I?
« on: September 20, 2014, 11:46:33 PM »
Samco has these for $169 plus shipping.  Any one have the scoop on these?  Seems really cheap!

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-1916.html

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Spanish Mauser.. Should I?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:20:04 AM »
Personally, I'd pass, these are rebarreled/rechabered to that caliber. Its a .308 Win on a small ring Mauser, the original caliber of 7mm was a lower pressure round and the action could deal with it. The 308 Win is kind of a hot round for the older design 2 lug action,  the large ring 3 lug action would have no issues with it.  I have a M1916 in 7mm, its great with that caliber.

If, and I say IF, you go that route, purchase the correct headspace gauges, and check it when new and from time to time if shooting it heavly. Avoid hot loads, regular WWB, or NATO ammo would be OK, no hot rod hunting stuff. Most have no issues at all, but there have been some instances of setback in the lug area, which increases headspace to possibly dangerous levels. And that is another weakness of that design, on top of a higher than normal pressure round, there is no gas bypass in case of primer or case failure.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
Yeah. What ^he said.  thumb1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »
They've been there well over a year. They were actually cheaper late last year I believe. (I seem to remember $139)

I'm a cheapskate by nature, but I've stayed away from these based on what I've read.  Century had some inexpensive Mausers in 7mm in stock last time I was on their site.  thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 08:18:20 AM »
Yup, everything GM said.

This is the same action used for the FR-7 and both this re-barreled M1916 and the FR-7 were modified from the M1916 7x57mm with the intention to use the 7.62 CETME cartridge, which has a lower charge lighter bullet vs. 7.62 NATO.

I have the FR-8 based on the large ring M1943 (K98 clone) that I enjoy and trust with 7.62 NATO ammo. Unfortunately they're a lot pricier and don't pop up as often.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
I'm softening my stance on these.  Below is a recent thread on Gunboards and the intriguing part is an article from the Sept. 1987 issue of Guns & Ammo that cites laboratory testing one of these Model 1916s to failure at over 98,000 psi (about 180% of .308)  :o 

Post #11 has a picture of the full Guns & Ammo article.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?384626-M1916-Spanish-Mauser-in-308-Safe-and-shootable

Since Samco commissioned the HP White laboratory testing,  one could call into question their impartiality.  However, I expect HP White would not put out fraudulent data if they wanted to maintain credibility, and they've been around since 1936. 
HP White Laboratory Inc. | HP White

I'd still stick to NATO spec 7.62x51 if I bought one of these, but I'd actually consider buying one of these now if I didn't already have an FR-8. (I'd still prefer a Model 1916 chambered in the original 7x57 Mauser.)  It's also interesting that Samco has been carrying these 1916 conversions for 28 years.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:52:25 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:44:31 PM »
Personally, I'd pass, these are rebarreled/rechabered to that caliber. Its a .308 Win on a small ring Mauser, the original caliber of 7mm was a lower pressure round and the action could deal with it. The 308 Win is kind of a hot round for the older design 2 lug action,  the large ring 3 lug action would have no issues with it.  I have a M1916 in 7mm, its great with that caliber.

If, and I say IF, you go that route, purchase the correct headspace gauges, and check it when new and from time to time if shooting it heavly. Avoid hot loads, regular WWB, or NATO ammo would be OK, no hot rod hunting stuff. Most have no issues at all, but there have been some instances of setback in the lug area, which increases headspace to possibly dangerous levels. And that is another weakness of that design, on top of a higher than normal pressure round, there is no gas bypass in case of primer or case failure.

Sounds like good advice Greasemonkey. I'm wondering why a gas bleed-off wasn't drilled into these modified carbines when they were rebarreled.

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:45 PM »
They've been there well over a year. They were actually cheaper late last year I believe. (I seem to remember $139)

I'm a cheapskate by nature, but I've stayed away from these based on what I've read.  Century had some inexpensive Mausers in 7mm in stock last time I was on their site.  thumb1

Wait... so affordable milsurps that can handle high pressure ammo are on your "okay to buy" list? If so, I have just the rifle for you!

http://axisarmsonline.com/Rifles/C-and-R-Rifles/Chinese-Mosin-Nagant-Type-53

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »
Oh Mike, you are baaaad!  bat1

One of these days I'll buy a canoe paddle.  One of these days...  thumb1

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 02:35:01 AM »
Not to discourage anyone from anything, it's purely a curiosity question, why is there no love for the 7mm Mauser? It's been poking along since well before the 'ol -06, almost as long as the x54r. It's not like it's a hard to find caliber, there ain't an animal on the planet it hasn't put down.

Now, this is just me....my opinion :o "if" I had the urge to purchase a rebarreled M1916 in 7.62 Nato, I would verify headspace first and foremost. Once I knew it was good to go, the ammo selection wouldn't be a whole big deal. I know, OH, GM your full of stuff.  But think, how many brands of low recoil commercial .308 is there, typically a 7.62 Nato round is 147 grain. OK, how much added pressure would say firing a Wolf Mil. Classic 140grain round, lighter bullet typically equals lower pressures. It ain't much, but every grain counts. Or cheat, roll your own lower pressure rounds. I have 2 Ishapore Enfields in 7.62 Nato, much like the Mauser, it's also one of the mythical blow-up guns.

Now, being I've owned these two Enfields for years, they have been fed Nato and very low end 308 crap, like Wolf and Bear ammo. I bought a Forester 7.62 Nato gauge as well, because I like my FR 8s and a few others in 7.62 Nato. Well, years later and after many rounds in both of the Enfields, I'm still alive and they still pass with the gauge. 

I'd say buy the rifle, get the correct gauge, check it, and then check it again, use lower end, low recoil stuff, recheck the rifle every once and a while. If and when it fails, if ever, weld the barrel and you have a very nice wall hanger, at a $169(yea Samcos price) what are ya out of?  I mean, lets be realistic, are ya really gonna shoot it enough to wear it out or are ya gonna go nuts and throw some uber hot megadeath kill a rhino at a million yards round in it?  My guess is nope to either, you've got other things to play with and it will at most, kill a plate, a paper target, maybe if your feeling froggy, a pop bottle. chuckles1

And for number crunchers, what I found,
7x57mm pressures,
Maximum pressure (C.I.P.)    390.00 MPa (56,565 psi)
Maximum pressure (SAAMI)    351.63 MPa (51,000 psi)

See, the 7mm looks just like 7.62 Nato  chuckles1

And, ain't nothing wrong with them short canoe paddles, they go bang too, just louder. rofl2 chuckles1

Sounds like good advice Greasemonkey. I'm wondering why a gas bleed-off wasn't drilled into these modified carbines when they were rebarreled.

Bah!!! braindead  banghead1, the older actions, the M1893/M1895 didn't have a gas vent, the M1916 does, my 7mm does.  My bad :-[
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:52:13 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem