Author Topic: Romanian 1959  (Read 219 times)

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Romanian 1959
« on: February 28, 2024, 02:31:17 PM »

Got out this old girl for a little cleaning and thought I would share a few pictures
Romanian Cugir factory 1959
All numbers match up well , not a beauty but shoots good  thumb1
I thought I paid too much back in the day at $150  :(

Papahound

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Romanian 1959
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 04:25:00 PM »
Looks fantastic to me. My 2 Romys are a little rougher and forced, more typical examples. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 05:24:22 PM »
Don't sell that one short, it's a very nice example.  $150 back in the day was a steal, they were typically $175-$200 retail from the day they were imported and never really went down from there.  I got my two in 2004 long after the imports and retail sales had dried up and I paid $200 and $220 respectively. 

Replacement stock is a bummer, but typical of 90% of Romys it seems.  Proper dog collar Romy sling is definitely a plus!  thumb1

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 06:42:35 PM »
Don't sell that one short, it's a very nice example.  $150 back in the day was a steal, they were typically $175-$200 retail from the day they were imported and never really went down from there.  I got my two in 2004 long after the imports and retail sales had dried up and I paid $200 and $220 respectively. 

Replacement stock is a bummer, but typical of 90% of Romys it seems.  Proper dog collar Romy sling is definitely a plus!  thumb1

Mine were a good value when I picked them up in 2012 (?). The Sinobanians kinda had the SKS market depressed and one of them was in a T6. I got some Romy wood from Clearwater that helped that one, then later I scored on some blank Russian laminate that looked even better. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 09:56:24 PM »
Great SKS! I love the Romanians.

Matching major serial numbers on the metal is relatively scarce and original matching stock is probably rarer than a matching gas piston and tube.

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 10:58:20 PM »
Great SKS! I love the Romanians.

Matching major serial numbers on the metal is relatively scarce and original matching stock is probably rarer than a matching gas piston and tube.

He had 2 on the rack , unfortunately I could only afford one , he did toss in some ammo to help eases the pain , turned out to be a good investment on today’s market 👍

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 05:39:28 PM »
 thumb1 Thats a nice one.. funny, seems 1959 is a very common year to find matching. My matching one is a 1957, and one was even imported with a Yugoslavian bolt installed.

Big fan of the underdog Romanian.. even bigger fan of them sexy leather slings. drool2

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Papahound

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 06:28:08 PM »

A little rough around the edges , but very well made !

Papahound