Author Topic: "Unissued" Yugos from SOG  (Read 32127 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: "Unissued" Yugos fron SOG
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
$0.04 more at Classic  :))

I hope we see some of these popping up here, so we can get an in depth look, but I'm satisfied with the 59/66 I have for now  :)
You got me there Phos, I over looked the .99 and .95.  pissing1 What can you buy with $0.04 cents anyway?

rofl

On another note can some one explain the differece between 59/66 and 59/66A1?  :-\

Night sights on the latter model. Not sure if there are any other differences

Offline SKhiSm 59-66A1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
  • My God, they have a Weaselpecker with them.
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »
I think vrsta konz. is the place where they were stored. Neat to have a peek at this stuff, great find RM. So it's new shipments...I actually thought it was crates that someone had been sitting on for about 15 yrs.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."

Daniel Boone

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:55 PM »
On another note can some one explain the differece between 59/66 and 59/66A1?  :-\

Night sights on the latter model. Not sure if there are any other differences

Thanks Phos, I want a M59 just because, but the M59/66 and M59/66A1 with Grenade launcher and sights just doesn't do it for me.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »
Could easily be SKhiSm.  The abbreviations really mess with the translator.  If I have an idea of what the translation is I can go backwards, but I was at a loss for that one.  I assumed that Konz. stood for "konzervans" as that's what's shown in the main title line of that tag.  I didn't explicitly mention it, but obviously I'm not fluent in Slovenian and my Google translations should be taken with a healthy amount of skepticism!  whistle12

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »
Brian, you *need* an M59!  I agree with you on the 59/66.  Too much going on there.  I had one, pawned it off on an unsuspecting Mauser licker and didn't really feel too bad about letting her go surprisingly enough.  I got another, better condition one in an armslist 'didn't need it but bought it anyhow' deal and it hasn't really grown on me to this day.  I haven't even fired it yet actually. :-\ 

I most certainly don't need another unless I can upgrade to a really nice one with matching book and accessories!  thumb1

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »
Brian, you *need* an M59!  I agree with you on the 59/66.  Too much going on there.  I had one, pawned it off on an unsuspecting Mauser licker and didn't really feel too bad about letting her go surprisingly enough.  I got another, better condition one in an armslist 'didn't need it but bought it anyhow' deal and it hasn't really grown on me to this day.  I haven't even fired it yet actually. :-\ 

I most certainly don't need another unless I can upgrade to a really nice one with matching book and accessories!  thumb1

RM is the above yours?  drool2 Yes, I do NEED one, but I didn't want to sound desperate.  chuckles1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
Yeah, I got it from Samco in October, 2004.  Wasn't more than $250 as I remember.  They had a small shipment in and I got lucky in that I had the $$ at the time.  Grain in the wood is just awesome.  It's a refurb so the metal is worn in places and the bayo has a scratch or two out of the protective coating to go along with the likely non-original handguard, but it's good enough for my purposes. 

I need to get some decent outdoor photos of my collection one of these days.  The fuzzy indoor on the wood floor ones in poor lighting I have are pretty bad (though when you have as many trashy looking guns as I do, maybe the fuzzier the photo the better?!)  chuckles1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 06:57:29 PM »
Looks like they are PW arms imports:

Man I'm not a big fan of that particular import stamp.  Deep and bright and large and distracting.  cry1
Oh well, what can you do eh?  :)

The cleaning video Classic has is interesting.  Nice to see them warn people about taking a screwdriver to the crossbolt as well as warning about the flying op rod dangers!

They keep mentioning unissued.   :-\  I'm seeing lots of rear sight leafs in the white though.  There's a reason these look so nice, but it's not 'unissued-ness'! thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 08:26:49 PM »
Nice guns.    Makes Cannon want

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Carl in CT

• Right Wing Extremist
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Violating safe spaces everywhere
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »
Neat but I'm with Brian. If it's a Yugo and it isn't a M59 or practically free I'm not interested. No offense to Yugo fans, nothing wrong with Yugos, just my personal taste, I don't care for the grenade launcher and sights.
It's sad that the motto of young Americans isn't "live free or die" or "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country" or even "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country". Instead their motto is "pee yourself, shelter in place and cry for help". Pathetic.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »
Considering what rifles (59/66) of this condition have been going for on GB, I think its a fair deal with all the accessories etc.  If I had not sealed the deal on a russian recently, I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on one hand picked.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 09:52:01 PM »
$0.04 more at Classic  :))

I hope we see some of these popping up here, so we can get an in depth look, but I'm satisfied with the 59/66 I have for now  :)

Same here. I have a buttstock and a trigger group.  rofl

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 12:26:57 AM »
Lets see if they don't move and the prices drop.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »
At least most you guys have the option of buying one or ten. These California laws just saved me a bundle rofl

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
Lets see if they don't move and the prices drop.

With an election panic right around the corner.... I wouldn't count on it.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:10 AM »
I suspect these will move just fine considering the gunbroker data we've seen over the past few months.

Avg. Very Good yugo is $452.49 since I started collecting data in March.  A 24 gun sample makes me pretty comfortable about the number.  Notice how there's only one 1 rated at Excellent.  Some of the guns they randomly pulled out of the crates could easily rate Ex, and all rated VG IMO. thumb1

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: "Unissued" Yugos from SOG
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
Dang it. I already blew my cash wad on a purchase a couple months ago. Love the looks of the Yugos. Best of luck to anyone who gets one.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »
It took quite a while for the "Smithsonian grade" Samco had to sell out at a price compairable to SOG. And they had them in stock through an election and big gun ban threat over the Conn. shooting. Even the Chinese rifles are still available in certain retail outlets, the market as a whole is saturated.
I can understand the happy joy joy feeling in getting a "new" surplus gun also. But, realistically I've seen just as nice examples on the private market, for less. I've even seen the less common M59 for less money. An M59/66 is not like it's an overly rare or uncommon variant, they are almost as easy to find as a Type 56 Chinese stamped Norinco.

It's hard to justify a retail fixed stone & mortar store price based on auction prices, also it's not a fair comparison, like judging Ebay vs. Target or Amazon.  From a buyers stand point, 430+ all the bla bla for a common SKS, when one could buy privatly cheaper or cough up another 100-125 or so and get an Ak or maybe a cheapy entry level AR doesn't make much sense. Again, especially, when some retailers still have the Chinese still available, for less money. Put the price, say 375-395, then the market would light up.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »
Good points Carl, but the Yugo M59/66 has always been the undesirable red headed stepchild of the collecting world.  Heck in this one thread, we have three collectors (Brian, Carl in CT, and myself) all saying they don't really like the M59/66 at all.  These will generate excitement for a brief while and then will be relegated to the back seat when the next import pops up.  The $64000 question is: when, if ever, will the next big import show up?  I've heard rumors of another batch of Sino-Banians recently (though maybe that is these guns).  Samco had to deal with their Yugos competing against an 18000+ Sino-Banian flood from 2012 onwards.  These have almost no other SKS competition at the retail market.  Yes there are still Sino-Banians out there, but they are few and far between and they are in pretty poor condition compared to these.  The cheaper C&R holders will go after the $300 Chinese guns while many new/young collectors with C&Rs who missed out on the Yugo surge in the early 2000s might be the ones who jump on at least one of these to get a nice gun, log book, and accessories. 

I don't think comparing eBay to Amazon or Classic to Gunbroker is a stretch at all.  Amazon and eBay are *very* comparable in pricing on many things when you look at the BIN auctions.  Even the regular auctions don't typically exceed the Amazon price all that often on common run-of-the-mill things that can be easily bought at retail.  Now Target to eBay is a totally different story I'll agree, that would be like comparing Classic to your local gun store.  You just can't do it.   

These guns are not going to be a big hit with guys who just want a rifle to plink with.  They will not sell well to Bubbas who want to chop the GL and stick it in a bullpup.  They will not sell well to cheapskates (like me).  They will not sell well to 'real' collectors who already have 15 Yugos and logbooks and leather slings coming out their ears. 

They will sell to collectors who either want to upgrade their collections or want to get a complete set of a gun with log books and other accessories that 90% of the current private sales don't include. 

Time will tell how things really play out.  I don't think Yugos will become anyone's darling gun anytime soon because of this import.  Just something new in the supply chain to shake things up a little bit and keep it interesting!  You're right about us tempering expectations a bit.  No need to cheerlead this import, it will stand or fall based on the market.  thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »
∆∆∆∆∆   this