Author Topic: Mosin–Nagant M91, unknown model(too many mods before I saved it)  (Read 3154 times)

Offline BaerenGott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
Hey all.  This is a Mosin-Nagant M1891 or variant.  I acquired the rifle from a pawnshop in it's current state.  Well, a lot dirtier and PAINTED actually.  The entire gun including the stock had been spray painted in a homemade camouflage pattern.  I bought it on the understanding that it would not chamber a round...the bolt wouldn't close unless the chamber was empty.  Well I took it home for a few pennies($75 to be exact).  It had a scope mounted on it which I removed.  That's when I noticed the rear sight was gone...in fact, I couldn't even see the pin-holes FOR the rear sight.  So after complete disassembly and paint-stripping, I discovered a few interesting things.

First, that's one nice stock now that it's just wood!

Second, the barrel was threaded in 180-degrees from where it should've been.  In other words, the top of the barrel was on the bottom of the gun.  I think that whoever cut the barrel(thereby losing the front sight) and mounted the scope did so to hide the un-finished metal under the original sight.  I've been looking for a correct barrel/receiver vise/wrench in order to remove the barrel, clean the threads, and reassemble to the correct position.  I'm pretty sure that's going to let me chamber a round.

Since the barrel has been shortened, my plan is to find a good machinist who can turn a stock M91 rear sight-base(EBay $5) into a 'rail' that I can mount a small Reflex Optic sight on(as rigged up in one of the photos).  This will allow me to use the gun without trying to find a front sight.  Anyways, I welcome any and all comments!!

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007
currently a Peace Officer & FireFighter

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Mosin–Nagant M91, unknown model(too many mods before I saved it)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:46:16 AM »
Could very well be the problem. I'd suggest that at the very least you get yourself a set of GO/NO GO gages and make sure that the headspace is dialed in right when all is said and done.  That in addition to carefully scrutinizing the bolt lug surfaces for issues is a must. That barrel is upside down for a reason, but for someone to put that work into the gun and it to still not chamber a round makes me think there's more than mets the eye on this one.  Another course of action may be to go the full gunsmith route.  You'd quickly find out what the scoop is, though you would be into it for far more than you initial $75 investment.

Good luck and let us know of your progress!  thumb1

Offline BaerenGott

• Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:00:49 PM »
Last year I took it to the same gunsmith who refinished my Winchester 94 and my Colt PPS.  He couldn't get either a go nor a no-go to chamber.  When I showed him the reference marks, he stated that my best bet was to get the barrel aligned properly, then to bring it back.  If it works, he is willing to go through the mechanicals to ensure there are no other problems.

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:35:18 PM »
It's a heavily modified M91/30 (note the round receiver) not an M91. Good luck on getting that barrel aligned properly. It'll definitely never return to original so you might as well do what it takes to enjoy it as you see fit. The stock does look like a nice sporter stock  thumb1

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:20:06 PM »
You know, another thought is that maybe the barrel isn't chambered for 7.62x54R too.  Maybe it's been converted to .308 or .30-06 or something?  Certainly an odd duck.  Sometimes those are the most fun to tinker with though.  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:53:49 AM »
You know, another thought is that maybe the barrel isn't chambered for 7.62x54R too.  Maybe it's been converted to .308 or .30-06 or something?  Certainly an odd duck.  Sometimes those are the most fun to tinker with though.  thumb1

Way back when...Bannerman did .30-06 Mosins.. everything I've read or even seen say they are sketchy to fire. I have only seen one at a collectors show, one of the giveaways is a shorter than normal barrel shank where they rechambered it. But....the rear sight was in the correct orientation.

A .308 wouldn't really be a good choice either in a rechamber... it probably wouldn't be very accurate...shoving a .308 bullet through a .310-314 bore. I imagine the .30-06 version suffered also due to the slight bore difference....it would be more like a .31-06.

A chamber casting would verify whats been done up in there, heck when bubba tinkers, expect the unexpected..........it might be in 7.7 Japanese, .303 British or even 7.62x39.. at least the bore diameter would be correct..  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline BaerenGott

• Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 06:04:23 AM »
Good thoughts on the chambering.  He(the gunsmith) felt that the chambering was un-modified, but wanted to get the barrel off before he cemented that.  A 7.62x54mm round fits snugly however.  Getting the barrel off is paramount I agree.  The man I'm working with is partially retired.  He sold his shop, and now works out of a smaller building out back behind his house.  He's in no hurry, as many of his long-term customers still come to him for tuning/work/repairs/modifications.  He has a bit of a waiting list!

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007

Offline BaerenGott

• Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »
I've been in touch with a machinist who is willing to take the rear-sight base that I got from EBay and machine it down.  Then he's going to either machine a rail into it for my little "Reflex Optic" or he's going to mount a small rail on top of it.  Once we have the barrel figured out I'll get this on, and then have all the metallic parts done, probably just blued.

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
Did you figure the caliber out? if x54r I would definitely have the headspace checked.....  That upside down barrel would be a little to wonky for me to shuck a shell in it and squeeze one off.. I would not be happy about having a bolt shoved through my skull....I'm rather fond of it. :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline BaerenGott

• Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 05:03:04 PM »
Did you figure the caliber out? if x54r I would definitely have the headspace checked.....  That upside down barrel would be a little to wonky for me to shuck a shell in it and squeeze one off.. I would not be happy about having a bolt shoved through my skull....I'm rather fond of it. :)

No I haven't.  My plan is to get the barrel off, then clean the chamber and verify the caliber.  Then I'm going to reset the barrel.  I've read that these old beasts could require upwards of 400 lbs/ft of torque.  My suspicion is that someone wanted to hide the unfinished portion of barrel after they removed the rear sight-base/installed that scope.  To do so I'm betting they managed to break the barrel loose, then just didn't torque it all the way back on.  All I know for sure is that the pawnshop told me the previous owner 'gave up' on his project after he couldn't chamber a round, but that the gun had functioned correctly when they sold it to him. 

Regardless, once everything's done I'm going to find two really big tires...and some string.  I'll set the gun on one tire, put the other tire on top of that, and run the string from the trigger to a nice safe spot 40 or 50 miles away.  Once all is clear, PULL! 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:04:30 PM by BaerenGott »

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007