Author Topic: NK SKS  (Read 7056 times)

Offline escobert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
NK SKS
« on: July 05, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
Saw a topic on a Mosin board where a guy had 3 north Korean SKS's lined up. He compared them with Russians to show the differences. You should be able to see the pics and read the post without being a member. http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=24772

EDIT: Did not see his OP was from 2011! Sorry, I'm sure you guys have seen these.  :-X
"Stella quarta decima fulgeat. May the 14th star shine bright."

Article 16th. Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil -  Vermont Constitution

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: NK SKS
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
Still good stuff and the OP martin08 is a member here too. I've never held or seen in person a single NK SKS let alone three at the same time  :o

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »
Fascinating stuff in spite of it's age escobert, I have not seen this. Thanks for posting it.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
Believe there was two he was selling for someone else and he took a group shot with his NK.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline escobert

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »
Believe there was two he was selling for someone else and he took a group shot with his NK.

Yup, that's the way I understood it. Although I wonder where that 4th one in the final pick came from :p
"Stella quarta decima fulgeat. May the 14th star shine bright."

Article 16th. Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil -  Vermont Constitution

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
I'm curious about that too.  He never answered that question.

He also kept the one at the top with the GL paraphernalia.

Offline CuSks

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
There is one out on gunbroker if you have 2 Grand and know where to look. ;)

Out of my price range....  cry1

Offline Donp236

• Rifleman
  • [url=https://ibb.co/jYAvPQ][img]https://thumb.ibb.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 08:22:34 AM »
Still good stuff and the OP martin08 is a member here too.

He is also a me member of  http://p38forum.com/forums/index.php

So for him it's rarity, condition and condition.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:30:19 AM by Donp236 »

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 11:17:07 PM »
So, does anyone really want to know where the fourth NK came from?

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 11:49:25 PM »
Yes the floor is yours shorthorn.. Were listening  thumb1

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 06:58:16 AM »
In several years since I posted about the multiple NK SKS carbines, no one has ever asked about the mysterious fourth gun!

It's all a hoax.   :)

The fourth one is really a Russian refurb in a laminate stock with a Type-63 receiver cover installed.  Back in 2010, a returning Afghan War Veteran posted an  Armslist ad for a "Japanese SKS Bolt Group".  He captured the whole gun on a recon mission, and pulled the bolt group before turning the rest of the gun in for destruction.  I bought the lot from him for $100, figuring I could have some fun with it.

Here's a pic  or two of what remains of a destroyed SKS from Afghanistan.   Then, what it looks like when installed on a well worn Chinese letter gun.  And last pic, on a Russian with laminate stock (far left).

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:05:31 AM by martin08 »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »
Fascinating! So you hold evidence of a NK SKS in Afghanistan! It pains me to think of the destruction of the rare SKS. I don't suppose he provided any pictures of the carbine along with its cover and BCG.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 07:38:09 AM »
I remember you buying that cover... I didn't know you put it on a rifle.   rofl

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline martin08

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 08:03:20 AM »
Fascinating! So you hold evidence of a NK SKS in Afghanistan! It pains me to think of the destruction of the rare SKS. I don't suppose he provided any pictures of the carbine along with its cover and BCG.

No theater pics.  Just the story, but very believable coming straight from the Vet.  He thought it was Japanese, and didn't know it was North Korean until I told him.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 07:48:03 PM »
Well, the cover, and let’s assume it was attached to an NK SKS (not a Chinese or Russian SKS, as in your pics  :)) ) ended up in Afghanistan.  That's as far as we can go with facts.  How it got there is interesting to consider, but involves pure speculation

Okay, I'll speculate.  Of the first ring countries around Afghanistan, three are former USSR republics and it seems unlikely that they would have had any North Korean weapons, since the flow would have gone in the other direction, USSR to DPRK.  Both Pakistan and Iran established relations with DPRK in 1972 and Afghanistan in 1973, after Khan seized control of the country.  Pakistan and Iran are two of just 24 countries with an embassy in Pyongyang and two of 46 countries hosting a DPRK embassy in their country. Afghanistan has neither of these formal diplomatic establishments. If a shipment of arms was sent to one of these countries from NK I would guess it would more likely be to Pakistan than Afghanistan or Iran, since Pakistan was perhaps more desperate for arms in the 60's and 70's with respect to its ongoing wars/skirmishes with India, and recent separation (1973) from Bangladesh (formerly East Pakistan).  Iran was a US ally during this Cold War period, so I doubt that they would have received arms from NK. The arms could have gone directly to Afghanistan. President Mohammed Daoud Khan did tilt toward the Soviet/communist sphere from 1973 to about 1977 when he asserted greater independence from the USSR (probably his death sentence) and they did receive aid from the USSR and perhaps other communist countries.

Of course, if the North Korean SKS(s) came in on the black market arms trade to the Taliban or one of the former Mujahadeen groups in the 80's through 10's, which seems to be an even more likely scenario than direct government to government aid/trade, they could have come from anywhere where they were captured, sold, or stolen, perhaps even Southeast Asia.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:56:54 PM »
Who knows...  But several East German sks have been seen in pictures outta Syria.