Author Topic: New to forum and SKS (pics att.)  (Read 5072 times)

Offline RossP226

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: New to forum and SKS (pics att.)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
That is great information, Greasemonkey.  I looked up the  Vyatskiye Polyany Molot Machine-Building Plant and checked out their website.  Many thanks!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »
I always assumed the number after the ГИС was the year it was laser etched (i.e. a kind of born on date: in this case, the SKS was built in the 50's but the gun final refurbished/released for export in 2015)  If you look around the web, you'll find those numbers on various other weapons that clearly increment upwwards and you'll never find one that is larger than the current date (I don't believe they had '99 or previous numbers etched into exported guns in the pre 2000 era...) 

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 05:40:41 PM »
I don't think Molot was doing sporting or commercial guns back then, or at least they weren't using that style stamp.That style is fairly recent, use just started in the last.... Less than 10 years ago.

Russians gotta make some coin...so start production of commercial/sporting weapons and clean up some of the store rooms and caves that are full of junk......people like buying old Russian "junk" rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
You're probably right.  Interestingly enough, the <ГИС> stamp is pretty old, I've seen it on stuff that dates from Soviet breakup times.

Another stamp I've seen before and know is relatively old is the "micrometer symbol"...maybe a "PCT" abbreviation.  You see it on stuff all the time, even to this day:

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 06:45:58 PM »
You're probably right.  Interestingly enough, the <ГИС> stamp is pretty old, I've seen it on stuff that dates from Soviet breakup times.

Another stamp I've seen before and know is relatively old is the "micrometer symbol"...maybe a "PCT" abbreviation.  You see it on stuff all the time, even to this day:

the <ГИС> stamp is some kind of State Test Station certification...it's been in use for a good while, most weapons and ammo boxes have it. I "think" I have even seen it as an ammo headstamp. I'll have to dig into and probably through the heap and see what I can find..

The "PCT" stamp is on all Saigas, and probably others.. both my Saiga 12 and 410 have it. It's a Patent Certification symbol, look on most weapons and ammo boxes.

Both my Russian Makarovs have it......so the "PCT" stamp has been kicking around a while as well.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 08:17:20 PM »
Darn Molot, thats whats stopped my Russian SKS collecting, ugly ass markings