Author Topic: 2 Yugo ON-2 DMR SKS rifles  (Read 2976 times)

Offline teddybear1848

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
2 Yugo ON-2 DMR SKS rifles
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
So I finally finished a very long and expensive project and am eager to show em off. About 2 years ago I bought a Yugo m59/66 which I thought had just a regular PU style scope on it but when I received the rifle i realized this was not the case. After A couple months of book learning and internet searching the closest thing I could find to what I needed to complete my rifle was an ON-2 scope mount style setup. I then set out for the search for an ON-2 style mount and scope so I could duplicate the mount to fit the rifle I currently had at the time then find one of the original imports with the ON-2 base. I ended sending a bag of money to a stranger in Croatia who said he found me a mount and it was the biggest gamble Ive ever made but it paid off and we have a pretty good time dealing with each other. After I got my first ON-2 mount and scope I went hunting for an original import with the ON-2 base to put it on. Someone put me in touch with Mark Kubes of buymilsurp.com and said he might have what I was looking for. So I gave mark a call and in our discussion he told me he had 3 of the ON-2 rifles, 1 complete and 2 not. We came to an arrangement where if I set him up with the opportunity to complete a second rifle he would give me the third rifle for me to complete. So i sent my guy hunting again and he did end up finding a second scope and mount. I told mark the price and he told me to send my guy to get it, but tried to get me to give up my source (I did not for leverage to make sure the deal was honored). This is where I goofed. I had my guy go buy the scope and mount with money out of his pocket and send it to me. When I got the mount and it was time for mark to honor his end of the deal he cut all contact and I never heard from him again. I ended up selling my whole Navy Arms collection which amounted to 3 (2 all original) Navy Arms Farmers Friends and 2 cowboy companions with the proper scopes and mounts to pay my guy for the mount Mark flaked on (Pretty big bummer). So now I had two mount and scopes and 0 rifles. Another collector reached out to me and said he had 2 rifles he would sell to me and worked with me so I could buy them for which I will be forever grateful. If it was not for my extremely loving and understanding wife I would have never been able to do any of this haha. This past Sunday I was day drinking and decided to throw the m59/66 up on gunbroker but changed my mind later in the night so if anyone wants to chime in on what they think something like these are worth feel free because I have no idea personally. This will probably be the pinnacle of my gun collecting.

The research I learned and people I talked to trying to learn more about these and figure out how they came to be is fairly interesting. According to my sources these came to being as an experiment by local territorial defense forces to try and field their own DMR or equivalent when the JNA was getting stingy with how they dished out their arms. There was less than 200 or so ever produced at all and they all tend to vary differently based by the gunsmith that produced the mounts and bases which seems to be the case as the machining and dimensions of the hardware varies greatly from mount to mount. Most of these were destroyed in their civil war making it a very rare item and I have no idea how many are complete in the US or worldwide but i wouldn't guess more than double digits.

Sorry about the pic quality as my good camera broke but i hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I do.

"Is that actually a bucket of cat litter or is it 7.62 Nato?" - My better half.

Online MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
Re: 2 Yugo ON-2 DMR SKS rifles
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:23:23 PM »
Looks good, I'll take it! the one with the extended butt pad please.....The check is in the mail..... :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 05:34:50 AM »
Yeah, basically the coolest Yugoslavian SKS ever  thumb1

I love those com bloc scopes with the range finder reticle.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:38:50 AM »
Between you and MxwllBkr  shooting1 ...I'm not worthy  rofl

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »
Nice set!

I never understood how these were utilized with a chin-weild.   :o

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:59:32 AM »
nice collection and story, thanks for sharing.  thumb1 ---------->  you got one big butt (pad), you win.  tomato1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline teddybear1848

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
The cheek weld and eye relief actually works really great. I will try to get some photos of one being shot in the future for you all to see
"Is that actually a bucket of cat litter or is it 7.62 Nato?" - My better half.