Author Topic: A new chapter in my projects book, The '57 restore, and now the '60 letter gun  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Some may recall not too long ago I posted about three barreled receivers I bought from Sarco. Well, I finally got back to my barreled receivers. Had them soaking in 10W-30 conventional oil for a week. Put the early '57 together first. Going to work on the '60 letter gun tomorrow.

Oil bath, found a 36" planter box at Lowe's out in the Garden area for $11. It works perfectly, could have used another quart of oil though.

The bayonets, I found a blade bayonet on GB I got for $100 shipped. Turns out it is from an early Russian with straight collar. I had an angled collar on hand that worked perfectly and looked more the part. Thinking I can get some of my money back on the straight one. :)

My 2 parts kits for the restores bought off of GB

My stock choices. top 2 are Chinese spike cut and the bottom is a Romanian with a blade cut.

Finished product. I used the parts kit that was all matching numbers on this build. Stock has a little play in front up and down since this is a Romanian stock. Going to cut a 9mm brass case up and flatten it out to wrap around the cross-bolt for a shim to tighten the stock up. Should work well. I used a wire wheel on some of the parts to work some of the bluing to give ity an aged/worn look. May need a little more work in a couple of areas though.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:27:39 PM by Greatguns »
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: A new chapter in my projects book, The '57 restore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 03:11:59 AM »
Excellent. If you have any issues on the up/down play at the fore arm, I use leather, cardboard, or plastic shims. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 06:54:49 AM »
Nice!
Mine is 740 'newer' than yours...but doesn't look it.  chuckles1

When I bought my Classics last year, I went looking for a wallpaper installation tub...essentially exactly what you have. Being the old fart that I am...the guy at the Home Despot looked at me like I had two heads, apparently nobody wallpapers anymore...the 30-something employee made me feel like I was a nutjob for asking where the wallpaper supplies were.  Now I know where to look, so I will be needing another cosmo soaked gun it seems. :)

I find it funny that both of our early 57s ended up getting stamped triggers with blades and stocks from completely different countries. Sarco Pound Puppies...  dance2

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »
very cool, turned out nice. why the oil bath?
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:42:00 AM »
very cool, turned out nice. why the oil bath?

A detergent oil bath will get rid of surface rust. Soaked it for a week, then a light scrub with a wire brush, and voila. I was going to blast it to the white and re-blue, but had the thought to leave it more 'been there' looking so did this instead.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 09:48:21 AM »
Nice!
Mine is 740 'newer' than yours...but doesn't look it.  chuckles1

When I bought my Classics last year, I went looking for a wallpaper installation tub...essentially exactly what you have. Being the old fart that I am...the guy at the Home Despot looked at me like I had two heads, apparently nobody wallpapers anymore...the 30-something employee made me feel like I was a nutjob for asking where the wallpaper supplies were.  Now I know where to look, so I will be needing another cosmo soaked gun it seems. :)

I find it funny that both of our early 57s ended up getting stamped triggers with blades and stocks from completely different countries. Sarco Pound Puppies...  dance2

That was my first search, for a wall-paper tray. I did find one at Ace Hardware for $5 and have my third barreled receiver soaking in it, but this one is going to be a bubba and I cut down the barrel on it. The tray is on 28.5" inside and a full length SKS action won't fit in it. Then I thought of getting a planter box and found the 36" one.

As for our Sarco SKSs, we can call them the SPP-SKS or SKS Type SPP if you prefer. :))

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »
SPP: Sarco Pew-Pew, Sarco Planter Product, Sarco Precision Pushka ... Oh, “Sarco Pound Puppy”  ;)

Good rescues from the pound  thumb1

I may be way out in left field here Alan, but I’m beginning to suspect that you like project guns  think1

I like the planter oil bath. That should definitely have all of the microscopic irregularities in the surface of the steel impregnated with oil.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »
SPP: Sarco Pew-Pew, Sarco Planter Product, Sarco Precision Pushka ... Oh, “Sarco Pound Puppy”  ;)

I may be way out in left field here Alan, but I’m beginning to suspect that you like project guns 

He's running around singing a remix of OPP.... You down with SPP (Yeah you know me), you down with SPP (Yeah you know me)  You know me........ rockon

SPP, how can I explain it
I'll take you frame by frame it
To have y'all jumpin' shall we singin' it
S is for SKS, P is for People scratchin' temple
The last P... well... that's not that simple

Other P, is for the Planter

rofl rofl2 chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 10:33:13 AM »
A detergent oil bath will get rid of surface rust. Soaked it for a week, then a light scrub with a wire brush, and voila. I was going to blast it to the white and re-blue, but had the thought to leave it more 'been there' looking so did this instead.

Very cool trick   thumb1 clap1 , I might have to try this on the Carcano's. Just regular 10W-30 and nothing else?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 11:08:56 AM »

Very cool trick   thumb1 clap1 , I might have to try this on the Carcano's. Just regular 10W-30 and nothing else?

Yup, I bought 3 qts of the cheapest 10W-30 at Walmart(should have just bought a gallon). Biggest issue will probably be finding a container for the bath. If the Carcano actions are under 36" then get what I got. It's a plastic 36" planter box from Lowe's. For some reason they don't show it on their site, but had plenty in stock at my store. CHoice of black, green, or terra cota, LOL.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 11:30:34 AM »

Good rescues from the pound  thumb1

I may be way out in left field here Alan, but I’m beginning to suspect that you like project guns  think1

I like the planter oil bath. That should definitely have all of the microscopic irregularities in the surface of the steel impregnated with oil.

Now whatever gave you the idea I like project guns? rofl rofl dance2 dance2

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
I managed to get the '60 letter gun finished today. Although not the correct stock(spike in place of the correct blade bayonet) I still like the way this one turned out. Last pic is both of them together.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
The 60 turned out pretty nice too!  I wish I had tried the oil bath rather than stripping and rebluing...although I think yours both may have more bluing left than my most recent.

I kinda realize now I was Chinese honey-potted with my /606\ from Sarco...was working on that 'puppy' a bit yesterday...it looks nicer than the 57 and 59 also from Sarco...AND both my 66 an 67 from Classic.  Considering how bad the Albanian imports have been...and then compare to the Sarco stuff...it makes you wonder if these barreled receivers are kept outside in the weather stacked on pallets.

Apparently Sarco is still in stock, a couple of guys on the FB boards have been showing off their new project fodder....I have yet to see one anywhere near the good condition /606\ I picked up a couple years back....so I think they are really getting down to the bottom of the barrel (pallet).  Folks looking to adopt might want to get on it. ;)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
I have my third one soaking in the oil now. It is the one that was really bad with the surface rust. It is also the one I am doing a custom build on, cut & crown barrel, turn down for modded FSB and MB, set in a Tapco ODG stock w/my folding adapter and 2 30rnd USA detachable mags I have laying around.
Hoping I can clean it up well enough for this set up, but if not, I'll get it blasted and re-blued.

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Greatguns,

Good call on that planter from Lowes. Ours had it and I'm soaking parts from the RTI Berdan II I recently got. The barreled action is too big to fit completely but I can do it in parts. There is also plenty of smaller rusted stuff that go down into the bath. It's been 2 days and it's working nicely the rust is already flaking off. Not sure if the oil that I got contains detergent or not, but so far so good. Thanks for posting your method!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Greatguns,

Good call on that planter from Lowes. Ours had it and I'm soaking parts from the RTI Berdan II I recently got. The barreled action is too big to fit completely but I can do it in parts. There is also plenty of smaller rusted stuff that go down into the bath. It's been 2 days and it's working nicely the rust is already flaking off. Not sure if the oil that I got contains detergent or not, but so far so good. Thanks for posting your method!

Motor oil is usually detergent unless marked non-detergent IIRC.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
GG -
You gots some skillz, yo.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
i see a bigger safe in your future. very cool work.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!