Author Topic: My latest build  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
My latest build
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »
I am really liking the sleek, scope only lines, of this one. Thinking about a bipod for it too.

It started life as a Yugo M59/66 that somewhere along the line got mismatched parts and the mag was missing altogether. Free game in my book, lol.

I cut, crowned, threaded the barrel and installed an A2 style birdcage FH. No iron sights, scope only. Installed a Magwedge rail, tuned the FCG to fix a slight negative engagement, cleaned out the rest of the cosmoline that any previous owner failed to clean out, did the level 1 drop free bolt mod, installed a 3-9x32 scope with lo-pro rings so as to hug the rail nice and tight(1/8" clearance) and set it in a Ram-line conventional stock I picked up on Gunbroker for $50 shipped. Set up with an old Tapco 5rnd mag and a black SKS sling. I have a 30rnd metal mag as well. I functions nice and I kind of think it may be an unmarked USA brand due to fit, function, and finish, but not sure. Haven't gotten it to the range yet, but if it shoots as well as it looks I will have plenty of deer come hunting season.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
Re: My latest build
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »
I am really liking the sleek, scope only lines, of this one. Thinking about a bipod for it too.

It started life as a Yugo M59/66 that somewhere along the line got mismatched parts and the mag was missing altogether. Free game in my book, lol.

I cut, crowned, threaded the barrel and installed an A2 style birdcage FH. No iron sights, scope only. Installed a Magwedge rail, tuned the FCG to fix a slight negative engagement, cleaned out the rest of the cosmoline that any previous owner failed to clean out, did the level 1 drop free bolt mod, installed a 3-9x32 scope with lo-pro rings so as to hug the rail nice and tight(1/8" clearance) and set it in a Ram-line conventional stock I picked up on Gunbroker for $50 shipped. Set up with an old Tapco 5rnd mag and a black SKS sling. I have a 30rnd metal mag as well. I functions nice and I kind of think it may be an unmarked USA brand due to fit, function, and finish, but not sure. Haven't gotten it to the range yet, but if it shoots as well as it looks I will have plenty of deer come hunting season.

WOW!! Nice job man!! So if you don't mind me asking how much do you have in that, I wan't one just like it!!
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
Well, it helps I have gunsmithing experience and do all my own work of course, lol.

With all the horse trading I did selling off the parts I didn't need etc. then adding in the parts I did need I am probably into it for around $300 give or take. Plus my time obviously.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline CARBINE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
  • Ижевск карабины король
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »
Well, it helps I have gunsmithing experience and do all my own work of course, lol.

With all the horse trading I did selling off the parts I didn't need etc. then adding in the parts I did need I am probably into it for around $300 give or take. Plus my time obviously.

I see, so you will sell it to me for $400 :) Just kidding, but that looks like a whitetail sniper killing machine!!!
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »

I see, so you will sell it to me for $400 :) Just kidding, but that looks like a whitetail sniper killing machine!!!

Haha, NO!  Joking aside, I actually think I may have it traded to a guy locally for a Walther P22(for the wife), some 22lr ammo and $200 cash. I've got a K-Sports Hunter as well I may try and get him to buy instead cause I really, really like how this one turned out. Even my wife, who is not into rifles at all thinks this one is nice.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
What for scope is that?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »
Inexpensive but nice working Center Point 3-9x32 Illuminated. Thumb dials under caps.

Offline tracker1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 04:11:26 PM »
the sleek lines are very nice. 
Freedom is not controlling others. That would be tyranny.

Conundrum

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. (Think this one over and over…makes sense!)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »
Me likey...especially since I have most of those components in the bunk over me and have nothing to do.  Maybe I will convert one of my babies into something similar...always nice to have a spare gas tube so you can leave the original unmolested....unfortunately my spare doesn't fit my Ram-Line handguard well at all...but the cheese grater is just fine.  I love the Ram-Line stocks and have you noticed that since Champion has started making them again the ATI Monte Carlos have dropped in price by half?  The Ram-Lines are sooooo lightweight...and you can actually mod them to accept a spike with a few minutes of dremel time.

I have one of those scopes and have wasted a lot of ammo trying to sight it in....I wonder if the adjustment arrows are pointing the wrong way? I got it for fifteen bucks on some other nefarious SKS board...probably wasted thirty trying to sight the darn thing in. banghead2

I put it on a 'new to it' mount and will spend no more than one box of rounds trying to make it work before it becomes a makeshift spotting scope/spare tripod project...

Nice build though!  thumb1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »
Thanks Justin.  I can't really help you on the scope issue other than telling you how I sight in all scopes. I laser bore-sight in my basement any firearm I get. I have a target taped on one wall and stand at the other end which gives me about 12-13 yds. I compensate my POI to POA for the distance. I always make a note of which way the turret needs to go to get to my POI and never pay any attention to what the arrow says on the turret. I find with different Chinese made scopes that sometimes > up means tilting the scope up and sometimes it means the POA is going up which is the opposite of each other.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
Now that I think about it...I think I might have been so excited to have my first illuminated scope I didn't actually laser bore it in before trying...probably thinking I couldn't see it with the illumination....and being a dork and not trying it with it off. 

Most of my fair weather time is spent in a public campground...laser sighting freaks out folks sometimes.  Since I now am being thrown out of the forest and it is so smokey...it might actually be a good time to try it. It will probably look pretty bad ass too with the smoke.  chuckles1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »
Hah, you can put on your own laser light show, lol.

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
Nice build Alan. I do love the square gas block on those Yugos and the muzzle brake is a nice touch. One suggestion to make things a little cleaner. Plug weld the gas valve in place and smooth out the gas block. It would be a little effort  but sure would streamline that gas block.

8)..............Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:39:59 PM »
Nice build Alan. I do love the square gas block on those Yugos and the muzzle brake is a nice touch. One suggestion to make things a little cleaner. Plug weld the gas valve in place and smooth out the gas block. It would be a little effort  but sure would streamline that gas block.

8)..............Joe

Definitely would stream-line it some more, but I like being able to shut the valve off and go into bolt mode when using brass cased ammo. Like for hunting, etc.