Author Topic: Mosin Sniper  (Read 6412 times)

Offline CrazySquid

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Mosin Sniper
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
Just had to ***t or get off the pot. Our Cdn market is soon to go dry of Mosin snipers being imported. So I bought one. Shes a nice 1943 Tula with all the correct original scope and mounts. Refurbed in the 1950s. Bore looks good. Just need some free time to get to my range.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:52:00 PM by CrazySquid »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Mosin Sniper
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
Very nice CS!  What's a MN sniper set you back up there these days? I believe they are well over $750, possibly closer to $1k down here.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »
Nice!   thumb1

I have no idea what they are going for now but, two yrs ago when I bought mine it was $740 shipped to me with all the "goodies" such as sling, cleaning rod, scope caps, scope cover, cleaning kit, oil/solvent bottle, and ammo pouches.

Offline CrazySquid

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 07:58:12 AM »
They are running around about 700 US up here. No extras like sling , oil bottles etc. But they are original snipers,not modded into one from normal Mosins.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:56:44 AM »
nice! looking good. will have to add one to my want list.   thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
Nice, a Tula no less  thumb1

Glad I grabbed one three years ago when they were on sale over Labor Day for $525. That was my last purchase from Classic Firearms until the minor cracked stock M39 specials a couple of months ago.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »
Super sweet, I really dig the look of these with the proper scope.  Did you pick this up at a shop or from a collector?

Did they select particularly accurate Mosins to create these or did they just tailor any ol Mosin with a scope and send them off? 
Considering the wartime time saving measures taken on the Mosin production I am curious. Though, yours does not exhibit the beaver chewed examples of other Mosin's I have seen during wartime production.  From what I see in the pics, the machining is quite up to pre war standards.

I ask because I have accuracy issues with mine, probably operator error with my eyes and that eternal sight radius with irons....I have considered hunting down a proper (yet mismatched) Russian scope some day, as my Mosin is none to special, to improve my current MOE groups....where E stands for elephant. 
When I shoot mine, I have to avoid lodgepole pine stands...otherwise a tree might come down. chuckles1

Very nice addition to your collection for sure, congrats!  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »
They selected them specifically. You can see his Tula has the СН (SN) for снайпер (sniper) mark at the top of the barrel shank. All mosins had a point of aim mark, the circle K, applied after sighting them in, but those selected for sniper production were the best.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 04:37:50 PM »
They selected them specifically. You can see his Tula has the СН (SN) for снайпер (sniper) mark at the top of the barrel shank. All mosins had a point of aim mark, the circle K, applied after sighting them in, but those selected for sniper production were the best.

Good to know...my Mosin-fu is weak, lets hope the washer and spring thing does the trick...if I can ever fire a gun around here again.  I guess forest fires save me on ammo...and the scope idea won't set me back.  thumb1

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
They are running around about 700 US up here. No extras like sling , oil bottles etc. But they are original snipers,not modded into one from normal Mosins.

I cant find any real ones up here.  Where did you get it.
Shoulda brought them when they were everywhere, but i hmmmmd and hawed...

Offline CrazySquid

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »
See? Theyre running out! :)

Ask your local shop to order some in,, I think North Sylva is the last importer with some left, so direct your gun store to call North Sylva.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »
North Sylva
Oh great, the guys behind the "pooper grade" sks.

Is it one with the lazer etched export marks?  nvr mind, i think i can see them in the photo

Offline CrazySquid

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:02:16 PM »
Ill have to dig her out and take a closer look and more photos but one pic here shows "Made in Russia" Kinda faint but its there.
Im sure that some cold blue could hide it but ill leave her the way she is.

As for pooper grade sks,  I dont fault NSylva,, if thats all they can find now and people are still buying those bbq paint finished and laser etched import marked guns, so be it. No other sources coming in are there? If so tell me where? How can you blame a company doing their best to get us what we want, even though these sks arent the prettiest or most collectable, and are all that they can find?

Import marks are here to stay and only going to get worse since our govt agreed to the stupid UN regulations.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:28:37 PM by CrazySquid »

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
The made in Russia and the diamond are for guns leaving Russia, if they come from elsewhere they are still clean. (so far)
'Pooper grade' are the questionable 'super grade' sks, that may have been re-refinished before shipping or in canada after arrival.
The bbq paint ones are far more historically accurate, for want of a term.

I may have to stop by the lgs and see if they have any today.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:43 AM »

Anyone have a good link for finding out what to look for in a Sniper to be sure its a real one?
I may have to look into getting one before they are gone.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 10:18:39 AM »

Anyone have a good link for finding out what to look for in a Sniper to be sure its a real one?
I may have to look into getting one before they are gone.

This site may be of help to you:  http://7.62x54r.net/