Author Topic: New SKS owner  (Read 1975 times)

Offline tarheel87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
New SKS owner
« on: May 04, 2020, 09:12:45 PM »
Hey everyone, I recently became an SKS owner. I bought one of the Type 56 from Palmetto State Armory, and picked it up last week. Finally got around to cleaning her up, and I知 really happy with the shape she痴 in.

I知 excited about my new purchase, and look forward to learning a lot here.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: New SKS owner
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:20:15 PM »
Hey.
Welcome from Arizona.

You're in the right place to learn.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:03:57 PM »
Welcome tarheel  :)

Looks like you snagged a winner  thumb1 12 million serial number?

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 12:01:45 AM »
Welcome.You'll have fun shooting that.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline tarheel87

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 07:17:42 AM »
Yes, the serial number is a twelve million. All numbers matching too.

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 08:17:21 AM »
Welcome to the site and welcome to the world of SKS ownership!

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »
Welcome to the boards!  Very nice clean SKS you have there. The 12 mils with the inverted takedowns and stock cutouts are especially nice!  thumb1

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 09:08:02 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky!!  Nice rifle.  All matching and cartouche's still on the stock. 

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »
hi neighbor and welcome. good to have you here. congrats, I'd be a happy camper with that one too.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline tarheel87

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 06:05:25 AM »
Thanks everyone. She cleaned up pretty nice, but it was terrifying how much cosmoline wasn稚 packed in there. Can稚 wait to get her out to the range and see how she performs.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »
Have fun with it.

I like an old battle rifle with some scars on it.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Ghost51xxx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 09:58:18 PM »
 clap1 Congratulations and welcome fellow tarheel! Looks like you picked up a nice one there. The bluing looks good and I like the bottom swivel. I just ordered one from Classic and hope it looks as good as yours. I'm counting on Ben to pick out a real nice one for me!  rofl   

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 11:41:48 AM »
Welcome from Montana!

I too just got an SKS from Classic, and ours are sisters....mine is also a 12282xxx
You got the pretty girl, mine is the one that got dragged along on the double dates I suppose, she looks like its been to hell and back... I am going to tackle the stock this morning, I hope to find at least 25% as nice a stock as yours, but I won't be holding my breath for two reasons, little hope and the love of the scent of cosmoline. :)

If interested, PM me sometime and we can see how close they are....normally I post my serials without regard, but this one has some attached mitigating circumstances that make me want to hold back for the time being.

I had seen your photos just before picking mine up and the first thing I looked for were any remnants of the stock cartouche....seems to be long gone. :(   Yours is pretty amazing compared to many I have seen from this batch, congrats!  thumb1

Offline tarheel87

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 09:26:26 PM »
Welcome from Montana!

I too just got an SKS from Classic, and ours are sisters....mine is also a 12282xxx
You got the pretty girl, mine is the one that got dragged along on the double dates I suppose, she looks like its been to hell and back... I am going to tackle the stock this morning, I hope to find at least 25% as nice a stock as yours, but I won't be holding my breath for two reasons, little hope and the love of the scent of cosmoline. :)

If interested, PM me sometime and we can see how close they are....normally I post my serials without regard, but this one has some attached mitigating circumstances that make me want to hold back for the time being.

I had seen your photos just before picking mine up and the first thing I looked for were any remnants of the stock cartouche....seems to be long gone. :(   Yours is pretty amazing compared to many I have seen from this batch, congrats!  thumb1

Thanks! I知 really thrilled with how nice she turned out. Zero rust, and just enough wear of the bluing to give it some good character, which is what attracted me to these rifles in the first place. I知 still a novice as far as the SKS is concerned, so I知 not sure what a cartouche is? I値l definitely be sending you a PM, I知 interested to see how close our serial numbers are.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 10:06:46 PM »
Just watched a YouTube video by Hole 9, Practical Accuracy, 500 yards and they used the factory 26, same year type with the inverted cover latch and bakelite hand guard.  He was hitting at 500 yards with it, so yours could have the same performance. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 08:29:05 AM by Bacarnal »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 02:18:06 AM »
Welcome from Montana!

Thanks! I知 really thrilled with how nice she turned out. Zero rust, and just enough wear of the bluing to give it some good character, which is what attracted me to these rifles in the first place. I知 still a novice as far as the SKS is concerned, so I知 not sure what a cartouche is? I値l definitely be sending you a PM, I知 interested to see how close our serial numbers are.

A cartouche is a wood stamping, that triangle thing on the left side of the stock under the rear sight is what I am referring to. On mine, I can see the faintest outline of a triangle...not much beyond that.

Offline tarheel87

• Newber
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 01:35:33 PM »
Just watched a YouTube video by Hole 9, Practical Accuracy, 500 yards and they used the factory 26, same year type with the inverted cover latch and bakelite hand guard.  He was hitting at 500 yards with it, so yours could have the same performance.
Wow, that痴 damn impressive! I値l be happy if I can get anywhere close to that.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 08:18:48 PM »
Greetings from CA and welcome aboard! Nice score from Palmetto!