Author Topic: Another from Kansas City  (Read 1602 times)

Offline HookedonHooks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Another from Kansas City
« on: August 31, 2018, 09:22:26 AM »
Well I finally made it over here. Been out of the SKS world for a couple years and been away from the forums. Returned from that hiatus over at Survivor’s, but it appears that place really slowed down and many of ya’ll came over here.

My last purchase before my hiatus was a Royal Tiger cracked stock special for $200 back in maybe January of 2014?. After enough cosmoline to properly store a whole crate of rifles was removed from just that one, I uncovered a still heavily blued early /26\ gun with only mismatch stock that was drug through hell. The crack gave me troubles with the repair as it was a very serious crack at the wrist of the stock, but is to this day one of my favorite SKS I own.

Fast forward to this last month, a somewhat rough but all matching /016\ walked into the gun shop I work at, and I was able to work out a deal “off property” for a very good price. Though this gun was nothing special, something about it and the price I got it at really kicked the SKS bug back up. In the last couple weeks I’ve been busy, the next was a Gunbroker auction for Yugo M59 still in the grease that was mislabeled as 59/66, and I was able to get for a pretty good price of $501 shipped even though it’s a force match, it is my first M59. Then several days later I won a GB auction for an all matching Romanian, the last country of origin I’ve needed to complete the “Base Five” collection since I started collecting, and one that I’ve been after for awhile.

That leads to up to last weekend I picked up another locally that was still packed in cosmoline. I was told he bought two about four years back and tucked one away and never messed with cleaning it up. This was exactly what I was looking for, as I wanted something to clean up. For $300 a got a five digit “Ghost” that matches minus a replacement stock. It has little to no bluing but is a super cool rifle as well that goes nicely next to the other early /26\”Sino-Banian” that I cleaned up.

Of course, it’s useless without pics, so I’ll make sure to get some family pics up soon. But in the mean time, thanks for having me over here on the SKS-files.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Another from Kansas City
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
Glad to have you here!  It looks like the bug has bitten you again.  thumb1

Would love to see pics of your collection, I'm always impressed by the diverse nature of everyone's collections.  SKS collecting can take you on so many different paths, it's truly a rewarding hobby!

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Another from Kansas City
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
hi Hook and welcome. good to have you here.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!