Author Topic: Rounds down range  (Read 5894 times)

Offline Boris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Rounds down range
« on: March 24, 2019, 05:42:50 PM »
Question on fire power. If I have an SKS with the factory 10 round mag and a 20 and 30 round mag and am loading with stripper clips. Which will put the most lead downrange in a minute? Please do not overthink this!

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Rounds down range
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 07:01:38 PM »
Never tried it.

If you've got unlimited, fully loaded 20 or 30 round mags,    theoretically, the hi cap mags would get more lead down range in one minute.

But, if your hi-cap mags are prone to jamming, the 10 round standard may be the way to go.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »
Boris beat me to it.

Those aftermarkets are, um, let's just say problematic.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 11:08:56 PM »
I'd say if you were extremely proficient with your stripper clip loading, you could come somewhat close to magazines when it comes to the limits of being able to get a target lined up in your sights.  If you have your eyes closed and are just pulling the trigger as quickly as you can, I think magazines are faster by a considerable margin.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 11:27:46 PM »
The way I read it was you intend to load the 20/30 rounders with stripper clips?  In that case it depends on if you showed up with any of the mags loaded.

I was trying to not overthink it...so I treated it like a riddle.

It possible...but the ten round mag will load easier and faster...and you won't need one of those NC Star thingys.  dance2

Did I win?

Offline Boris

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:35:02 AM »
I agree with Justin. Probably the ten rounder. Smoother to load.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »
I'm not overthinking this either. The most rounds down range is with detachable hi-cap mags, 20's or 30's. The swap time vs stripper clip time is a no contest. IF I understand the question correctly. I'm seeing 2 guys standing beside each other. One loading with stripper clips the other loading hi-cap mags. One min to shoot. The hi-cap wins going away.
Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
I'm not overthinking this either. The most rounds down range is with detachable hi-cap mags, 20's or 30's. The swap time vs stripper clip time is a no contest. IF I understand the question correctly. I'm seeing 2 guys standing beside each other. One loading with stripper clips the other loading hi-cap mags. One min to shoot. The hi-cap wins going away.
Marcus

What happens when those hicaps need to be loaded?   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
The only accurate test I can think of would be.....   Give me 70 rounds on 7 stripper clips and 10 rounds in the rifle totaling 80 rounds, then give you two loaded 20 round mags and 40 loose rounds in your pocket mixed in with trinkets totaling 80 rounds.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 12:08:10 PM »
The only accurate test I can think of would be.....   Give me 70 rounds on 7 stripper clips and 10 rounds in the rifle totaling 80 rounds, then give you two loaded 20 round mags and 40 loose rounds in your pocket mixed in with trinkets totaling 80 rounds.
NOPE, that is not a fair playing field. To make it truly fair, you CAN'T preload ALL your stripper clips, if I can't preload ALL my mags. The "loose rounds in your pocket" must apply equally. Or, you have 80 rounds in stripper clips. I have 4 loaded 20 round mags. Now, we don't have any 'undue advantage' over the other. I still win with my mags. And, I think I can load a mag with 20 rounds a bit quicker than you can load 2 stripper clips. The rounds you are loading must be 'positioned' in the stripper correctly or they won't feed. That will slow you down just enough for me to take a slight lead in the loading process. I have less 'distance' to cover with my 80 rounds going into the mags. I'll try and explain better. I press 1 round into the mag. That round travels the diameter of the casing, about .30" or so. You have to "slide" your rounds into the stripper covering more distance to seat the 10 rounds properly. Distance to cover equals more time. My distance covered to load 80 rounds is less than yours. Does that make sense to you? Clear in my head.
Marcus
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 12:11:17 PM »
Hogwash....     They come out of spam cans on strippers, and thats how they would be applied.  The entire point of stripper clips is to eliminate the fumbling around in a hole trying to load magazines.   thumb1

I have a personal experience with this and the m16/m4.....  ask me how I know.

And, I think I can load a mag with 20 rounds a bit quicker than you can load 2 stripper clips

Then its fair....   when we doing this?   :)

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 12:43:45 PM »
Hogwash....     They come out of spam cans on strippers, and thats how they would be applied.  The entire point of stripper clips is to eliminate the fumbling around in a hole trying to load magazines.   thumb1

I have a personal experience with this and the m16/m4.....  ask me how I know.

And, I think I can load a mag with 20 rounds a bit quicker than you can load 2 stripper clips

Then its fair....   when we doing this?   :)
IDK, when ya coming to Texas?
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 12:45:50 PM »
Laff.....  been here a looooong time already.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
Just a question... are we using an SKS that uses 30 round duck bill magazines or AK style magazines? I would think the AK mag fed one would have a slight speed advantage to fumbling around with a duck billed magazine. Is the 20 rounder you mention a fixed style Chinese or tanker style detachable?

If I had to throw as much down range in a short a time as possible.. I'd ditch the SKS, and get a Vz.58, best of both worlds. It's designed for stripper loading, high cap magazines and high rates of fire.   :)

My 2 crates of M67 Yugo are boxed in the crate already on strippers, 4 loaded strippers per box.. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 07:53:45 PM »
Just a question... are we using an SKS that uses 30 round duck bill magazines or AK style magazines? I would think the AK mag fed one would have a slight speed advantage to fumbling around with a duck billed magazine. Is the 20 rounder you mention a fixed style Chinese or tanker style detachable?

If I had to throw as much down range in a short a time as possible.. I'd ditch the SKS, and get a Vz.58, best of both worlds. It's designed for stripper loading, high cap magazines and high rates of fire.   :)

My 2 crates of M67 Yugo are boxed in the crate already on strippers, 4 loaded strippers per box.. thumb1
I guess I would be cheating a little. I'll be using duck-bill-less mags and my G3 adapter and a quick release lever. NO DUCKBILL to mess with. Rock -n- Lock and go bang. Repeat 3 more times. DONE.
Teddy R.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:06 PM »
I could have said the SKSNR or my Type 84 with AK mags... but the Vz is lighter and the mags work better, plus.... I have a... maybe a few magazines I can load.  ::)

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 08:54:02 PM »
I could have said the SKSNR or my Type 84 with AK mags... but the Vz is lighter and the mags work better, plus.... I have a... maybe a few magazines I can load.  ::)
It would be interesting to see which IS faster, using 8-loaded stripper clips against 4 loaded 20 round mags. I do think the mags would be faster. 4 less bolt releases, 4 less loading operations.
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:54 PM »
It would be interesting to see which IS faster, using 8-loaded stripper clips against 4 loaded 20 round mags. I do think the mags would be faster. 4 less bolt releases, 4 less loading operations.

Thats cheating.    You have to load those mags at some point in the test.   Your wouldn't go into combat with unlimited number of loaded magazines. Use of strippers is a sustained volley.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
The Type 84 could give one an advantage.. it has a bolt hold back button that could make loading easier.  Maybe...

Seriously, I think it depends. If a guy has gotten proficient and trained with just strippers, I imagine it could go either way. I would say it comes down to practice and training as to what one could do vs another.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »
The Type 84 could give one an advantage.. it has a bolt hold back button that could make loading easier.  Maybe...

Seriously, I think it depends. If a guy has gotten proficient and trained with just strippers, I imagine it could go either way. I would say it comes down to practice and training as to what one could do vs another.

There is a reason why the sks has a bolt hold open built in.   thumb1

Imagine this sustained for hours while the other guy is AT SOME POINT in time going to be finger fudging some rounds into a magazine.