Author Topic: Rounds down range  (Read 5879 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Rounds down range
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 09:27:00 PM »
Question on fire power. If I have an SKS with the factory 10 round mag and a 20 and 30 round mag and am loading with stripper clips. Which will put the most lead downrange in a minute? Please do not overthink this!

The OP said "a minute"... 60 seconds. Not hours.

I think the practice and experience of who ever with which ever decides who is the winner.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 09:31:29 PM »
If firefights only last 60 seconds..... then get yourself a few 100 round drums.  But I would be prepared to learn how to use stripper clips in the event thats not the case.   :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Boris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 07:12:18 AM »
That was a nice stripper clip reload and dump. SMOOTH !

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 11:50:34 AM »
I could have said the SKSNR or my Type 84 with AK mags... but the Vz is lighter and the mags work better, plus.... I have a... maybe a few magazines I can load.  ::)
It would be interesting to see which IS faster, using 8-loaded stripper clips against 4 loaded 20 round mags. I do think the mags would be faster. 4 less bolt releases, 4 less loading operations.

Thats cheating.    You have to load those mags at some point in the test.   Your wouldn't go into combat with unlimited number of loaded magazines. Use of strippers is a sustained volley.
For only 80 rounds, carrying 4-loaded mags would be a piece of cake. My vest will probably hold 8 loaded rifle mags and 6 loaded pistol mags. Remember, my SKS mags don't have duckbills anymore. They will "double stack" in vest pouches. 4 pouches x2 mags each = 8 mags + the one in the rifle. All this being said, at 72, I don't ever expect to be crawling around in the brush looking for "Charlie". I'll leave that to the younger guys.
And, you may be correct in your assessment that you are quicker. I don't know the answer. I suppose it comes down to how well each of us perform all the operations required to get front beginning to end smoothly. Any 'hiccups' and it's over.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 02:38:38 PM »
Does not matter if you carry 2 or 20 mags, at some point in time.... your gonna be taking a time-out to load said mags.  :P

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 02:59:40 PM »
Does not matter if you carry 2 or 20 mags, at some point in time.... your gonna be taking a time-out to load said mags.  :P

Advantage.....Vz.58, when the mag supply runs dry and the bolt locks back, start reloading with regular SKS strippers.  chuckles1  Go on and drag around that 8.5 pound SKS and heavy high cap magazines, a fully loaded Vz.58 still weighs less than what an SKS does empty. :)

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 05:12:27 PM »
Yes, but what does that have to do with "loose rounds" in my pocket or firing only 80 rounds? At some point the stripper clips will need reloading or replacing also.

Marcus
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 05:29:26 PM »
stripper clips will need reloading or replacing also

nope

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 02:35:56 AM »
Question on fire power. If I have an SKS with the factory 10 round mag and a 20 and 30 round mag and am loading with stripper clips. Which will put the most lead downrange in a minute? Please do not overthink this!

I may be looking at this all wrong, but the way I interpreted the OP's question was;  He's going to use a 10rd. factory mag for 60 seconds, reloading with already loaded stripper clips, and see how many rounds he can put downrange in that 60 seconds.

And then, do the same with the 20rd. and then the 30rd. mags, reloading them with the already loaded stripper clips, aiming and firing for 60 seconds each. And then count the rds. down range on each mag, as well.

If that's what he is asking, the issue would be how well do the 20rd and 30rd mags take loading with stripper clips? If they can be loaded smoothly, and with no stove pipes or jams, (which actual brand/type of 20 & 30rd mags isn't mentioned), the larger capacity mags should win out on rounds down range.

But I may be overthinking it and need to go back to cleaning guns. :) senil1 popcorn2

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 04:44:02 AM »
think1 Wait a fricken minute....... Will a SKS take loading with stripper clips and a high cap AK style mag? SKS D, SKS M and a SKSNR all take AK style high cap mags from the factory.....yet they don't have stripper clips guides on the carrier, they are gone, missing, non existant. And the high cap SKS variants short of the Type 84 don't have a last shot bolt hold open... so how do you hold the bolt open, and load with strippers with no guides? And an AK style mag is not really designed for loading while in the rifle with strippers, cause you can't load an AK with strippers.

I'm going to have to try it  :)

Guess why have stripper guides in place if it won't load that way....them zany Chinese... thumb1 guess the whole mess is really a moot point..

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
Based on the above posts, you need to do some more 'splaining about what you are REALLY trying to do. Give us some parameters. Are you wanting to know if one shooter using preloaded stripper clips can put more lead downrange than another shooter using preloaded hi cap mags? OR??????
Teddy R.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2019, 05:19:21 AM »
think1 Wait a fricken minute....... Will a SKS take loading with stripper clips and a high cap AK style mag? SKS D, SKS M and a SKSNR all take AK style high cap mags from the factory.....yet they don't have stripper clips guides on the carrier, they are gone, missing, non existant. And the high cap SKS variants short of the Type 84 don't have a last shot bolt hold open... so how do you hold the bolt open, and load with strippers with no guides? And an AK style mag is not really designed for loading while in the rifle with strippers, cause you can't load an AK with strippers.

Guess why have stripper guides in place if it won't load that way....them zany Chinese... thumb1 guess the whole mess is really a moot point..

I'm assuming (yeah, I know...nea1) that the OP's SKS is an as-issued Type 56, since he's using a 10rd. fixed mag first. So, even using the aftermarket 20rd and 30rd. mags, the bolt hold open won't release until the bolt carrier is drawn back. That shouldn't be a problem, "assuming" all our other guesses are correct.  ::) :))  The biggest issue will be how hard will the thumb-busting pressure be getting the last 10-20rds. fed into the high caps and then, will they feed right?

Based on the above posts, you need to do some more 'splaining about what you are REALLY trying to do. Give us some parameters. Are you wanting to know if one shooter using preloaded stripper clips can put more lead downrange than another shooter using preloaded hi cap mags? OR??????

He told us not to overthink this, that may be the problem. Maybe we should have just said something like, "Ummm...2 outa 3?" or "Is it snowing or hot outside?"  rofl2

Okay, too much thinking for me this week.  Back to stackin' BB's... think1  umnik1

firstchoice

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 11:16:40 AM »

NC Star makes this (aforementioned) thingy for using strippers with SKS/AK mags. There is an allotment in it for the duckbill...here is a vid of a dude using one on AK mags...

Don't ask me why I have one of these....I do recall it was dirt cheap/clearance.  I used it once or twice...meh.  What I find funny is that it is also used as an 'un'loader....I dunno about that function, I do it the old fashioned way, sure it's noisy...but any other method of unloading a magazine makes you wonder why you loaded it in the first place.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »
Seems kind of inefficient rofl rofl2

Easy way to load a Vz... thumb1

I'm assuming (yeah, I know...nea1) that the OP's SKS is an as-issued Type 56, since he's using a 10rd. fixed mag first. So, even using the aftermarket 20rd and 30rd. mags, the bolt hold open won't release until the bolt carrier is drawn back. That shouldn't be a problem, "assuming" all our other guesses are correct.  ::) :))  The biggest issue will be how hard will the thumb-busting pressure be getting the last 10-20rds. fed into the high caps and then, will they feed right?

I tried my SKSNR with strippers, no stripper guides and a regular AK mag.... I needed 4 or 5 hands to hold it all, the Type 84 went marginally better, with the modified bolt hold back and stripper guides.. BUT, still by no means easy and the second stripper was, well it pissed me off, so I just quit. I tried my Vz.58, the third stripper, the final 30, is a bear and takes some pressure, but it does load. Usually, I just load 2 strippers in it when playing at the range.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:35:34 AM by Greasemonkey »