Author Topic: SOME PECULIARITIES  (Read 1507 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
SOME PECULIARITIES
« on: April 08, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »
Hi Folks.

After a DOJ "Delay Delivery" of 30 days, I finally got to pick up my latest pile of iron and wood last week. The SARCO units were hiding more corrosion under the cosmo that I initially thought, and the barrels look shot out at the muzzle. I'm going to put the hack saw to those and use the same innards to function test each action, then hide the worst one in a Shernic with a brake and no SKS sights.

One is an /606\ in the 1 million range.
What's also odd about it, is that it has a short shank collar on the barrel, that's pinned?? Doesn't seen to follow the norm.

The pre-Bubbad rifle cut to 18.5" in cracked camo wood, is an /636\ in the 21 million range. I happened to have a Para spiker cut stock that fit, with bayo channel filled in with a piece of wood. Must've been done at the factory, as it's a clean arsenal "repair" with the finish uniform. The stock has a slip/screw on made-for-SKS recoil pad. Setting it next to a Butler Creek, it has the same LOP. I had a spare neutered FSB that I was able to coax the sight on the cut barrel shank. It had a cast iron receiver cover that I replaced with a scrubbed one, and a mismatched mag that was changed out for a scrubbed 5 rounder. So what left is numbers marching. Other than a crappy cut job on the tip, it looks good (I hid it under a slip on brake). I'm putting a Williams fire sight on (with the aperture removed) and calling it "The Running Game Dispatcher"

Once I get the SARCO units FSBs off and the barrels cut, I'll use a facing tool and put an 11*  crown on all three. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: SOME PECULIARITIES
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 02:11:21 PM »
One is an /606\ in the 1 million range.
What's also odd about it, is that it has a short shank collar on the barrel, that's pinned?? Doesn't seen to follow the norm.

These pop up once in a while.  I haven't seen enough specimens to see if there is a trend in year or arsenal.  Murray posted one up a good while ago on the 'other' boards and the barrel is both threaded and pinned.  Makes you wonder why they would do this.  I think the hypothesis I've heard is that the barrels are replacements and by this time they had abandoned the barrel indexing so they were not precisely clocked like the originals were.  To keep them on, they threaded them until they were indexed and then pinned them to both keep them in place.   It's anyone's guess though.   dntknw1

Would love to see some photos of it though, they are not well documented at all...  thumb1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
Thankfully...after checking, my Sarco /606\ appears to have it's original barrel...with a tiny 8 index, I didn't see a corresponding 8 on the receiver....but, no pins. :)

That hypothesis does sound...well, sound. It makes sense anyway.

Weren't there some Canadian Chinese that showed up with pinned barrels adapted to threaded receivers a couple years back too?

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »
PAX, show us the pics!  Dying to see what a lottery Sarco looks like.