Author Topic: Interesting email from SGAmmo  (Read 431 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Interesting email from SGAmmo
« on: December 16, 2023, 09:56:13 PM »
I actually took the time to read the header Sam Gabbert wrote in the latest email blast he sent out. Looks like we are in for an interesting 2024 and beyond.

Quote from: Sam Gabbert
Thank you for subscribing to the SGAmmo.com newsletter. If you have trouble viewing this email you can see the newsletter at this link: Beat The Price Increase On Ammo In Stock @ SGAmmo

Beat the price increase, and if you do not trust what I have written below, feel free to google around about this and you will see it is all over the news. In case you do not follow the news, several ammo factories like Vista (Federal/CCI/Speer/Remington), and Ammo Inc have sent out letters about a 'substantial' price increase in January 2024. We also got a letter from Winchester yesterday that says out cost on 9mm is going up about $20 per 1000 starting Jan 1st 2024. We will have to pass that increase on when it happens, at least sooner or later. Until then, I will stockpile what 9mm and other good deals that I can buy at the lower price to try to keep ahead of this, but it will catch up to us in time and lead to an increased price. The point made by the factories seems to be that nitrocellulose used to make gunpowder will be short in supply in 2024, because supply normally used to make gunpowder for handgun and rifle ammo has been diverted in large quantities to make propellants and explosives for large caliber military artillery shells used in conflict zones around the world.  We do not have hard numbers yet for what that price increase will be for most products, but estimate it will be 5% to 10% across the board, some items more or less. We also hear from the factory that it will most likely lead to shortages in large rifle calibers like 30-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag, PRC calibers, 338 Lapua, 50 BMG, etc, etc due to the large amount of powder needed to load those larger rounds and the factory using that powder to load more rounds of smaller calibers instead. Overall, I do not see this price increase unfolding very rapidly, there is probably 2 to 4 weeks, maybe 6, before the public really sees the change start to happen on pricing, and even longer on supply shortages for large calibers, but it will happen. We will know more once 2024 program pricing comes out later this month where pricing is going, but I expect 9mm Luger ammo to be effected more quickly due to naturally high demand and more dramatically due to how low the price got in 'special deals' made by the factory over the past year.

Precursor chemicals are indeed getting harder to find, but I have a feeling that has more to do with the raw materials (natural gas, nitrates, aromatic benzenes, etc.) being much more difficult to source in Europe than they were two years ago.  As far as I know, there is only a single black powder plant in the US still operational and it was bought by the company that owns Estes (the model rocket company) and runs at full capacity using the same process used a century ago.  We mix many of the high explosives here in the US, but we make zero of the precursors due to environmental concerns. There is a single plant in Poland that supplies the US with most of our TNT.  It's a problem of our own making and will only get worse as the EPA rulings continue to limit things that were routinely done in the past.  You can only export your pollution/labor/energy intensive industries so much before you are no longer self sufficient.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
Re: Interesting email from SGAmmo
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 12:28:24 AM »
I been buying all the high brass lead shotgun ammo I can get my hands on while bass pro / cabelas and sportsmans warehouse are basically my hassle free options and have had some rare deals.

Everything is getting ****ty its not just ammo.