Author Topic: What is the draw to/for the 45-70 GOVT round?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
What is the draw to/for the 45-70 GOVT round?
« on: June 09, 2023, 12:42:41 PM »
I saw an H&R/NEF Handi rifle single shot for sale locally on Armslist in the 45-70 caliber and got curious as I've never gotten involved in that caliber. So, what's the draw to it beyond the history of our wild west and older military? Is it a good hunting round??? What?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: What is the draw to/for the 45-70 GOVT round?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 02:31:58 PM »
Excellent hunting round  thumb1 used it for years. Shot everything from mild black powder loads to the full tilt Buffalo Bore 500gr(it hurt badly rofl2). It's a highly flexible round as well as a true piece of history, even still used as line throwing guns in the Navy. It's by no means a powerhouse, but it does the job as intended, in brushy areas, it excels, it plows thru twigs and sticks that could cause most high velocity rounds to change trajectory.. It also was the first true distance shooter and still is used in distance competitions, look up the Sandy Hook Tests of 1879.. they were shooting it at 2 miles..  practical hunting ranges... 150yrds.. the Leverevolution you can.. stretch it out a bit more..  make no mistake.. she drops like a rock.. but any slow moving heavy hunk of lead does, and it takes practice to be proficient at distances, unlike modern high power magnum rounds that are point click bang at the same distance, but if you connect.. the deer usually doesn't move far.   So.. history, skill and fun, flexibility all are my reasons and draw.  It was probably the first thing the government made that was actually worth a crap too.. rofl rofl2 chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 03:42:31 PM »
OUCH! I just mosied over to ammo-seek to  check out how much .45-70 goes for. At over $2/round that would be a hard pass for me. Definitely looks to be a reloader's caliber, LOL.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 04:22:15 AM »
OUCH! I just mosied over to ammo-seek to  check out how much .45-70 goes for. At over $2/round that would be a hard pass for me. Definitely looks to be a reloader's caliber, LOL.

Power comes with a price.. thumb1 rofl2 they're little mini howitzer shells.. chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem